PDA

View Full Version : Question on using swivels while trolling?

Love to Fish
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty sure someone will be able to answer this. I will be fishing the vine soon and have never trolled. So my question is, can I use the swivel in the picture with my CD-5? This way if one lure is not working I can just swap it out for another, without having to retie the lure or will this cause my line to twist or my lure to not act right? If I can use a swivel should I use the smaller one or the one a bit bigger? I thank you all for your input ahead of time.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/gilmartinez1976/Swivelandlure.jpg

IN2DEEP
02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I've used Duo Lock snaps on Rapalas that don't have a split ring, to allow for maximum wiggle.
You might want to remove your existing split ring if you add a swivel
Minimum hardware is best.
... or retie when you switch lures. Think of it this way, It'll be good practice :Wink:

Thisfool
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
i have heard of people using snap swivels and they love it but i personally just retie when i change lures

o and i also like to change out the treble hooks before i use them. i find the stander hooks bend a bit easy for my liking

TaperSteve
02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Its def best to tie directly to the split ring when fly-lining lures. Also after a good fight with a fish or two your going to want to re-tie if your running the same lure without changing.

Use a simple polymar knot. Easy to tie and very strong.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/palomar.gif

If you were to be using leadcore dragging Needlefish, Kastmasters, Thomas Bouyants, etc.... then you'd want to put a snap swivel at the end of your leader.

Good luck out there and please post a report with some results.

TS

JapanRon
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Love to Fish,

I use a very special setup of tiny swivel, leader, pear-shaped split-ring, then leadhead and swimmie. That me .... I put split-rings on all my leadheads.

First things first ..... take a pair of long-nose pliars and take the snap off the swivel ! If the split ring on the lure is of medium strength ..... you can easily take the open end of the swivel already tied to your main line and simply put the other end on the splitring.

That's my take.

JapanRon

Love to Fish
02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try some of the different methods and will post which worked best. Thanks again to all.

exfactor
02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
they also make u rings that are a eye, connected to a u. Work real good, come in all different sizes, and do the same thing. rapalas are made to be fished without a swivel.

Poxy Boggards
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I personally do not use snap swivels when flat lining a crankbait, but to each their own.

If you do want to use a snap swivel, I would recomend getting some ball bearing swivels as they are the best at keeping your line from twisting.

Good luck out there!