PDA

View Full Version : Sunday at the Vine from shore

Jake'sDad
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Well Jake and I finally made our second annual trip to the Vine today. I was a little skeptical that fishing would be great since the weather has been so warm lately but today was one of the few days we could make it so off we went.

Left the house at 4:40 am and 95 miles later made it thru the gate. Decided to try the Flats and drove all the way to the end. It was a little more crowded than we like so we hiked off toward the end of the lake. Stopped at three different spots to throw out some lines but did not have a good feeling about the spots. The water was very muddy looking and then we were in or near some rather deep holes. Unfortunately they were not honey holes. But I always try and get some exercise when I fish so the hike was a good thing.

After 3 hours of nothing, we hiked back to the car and drove back toward the store. Hiked around boat dock cove and woody's cove area just kind of checking for fishable spots. Too crowded today to find much so we went to the cafe for some grub. After eating we drove back toward trout island and noticed one good looking spot was now vacant. Set up four rods with different baits and cast out with the hope of ridding the skunk. It was not to be.

From what we could tell it was not just us but most people were having trouble getting bites. Saw a few caught but not many. At least the ones we did see were of nice quality. Sure hope we do better next time.

dixoncider
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
thanks for the report

Rooster
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Nice detailed report, Hope ya get them next time.

Thisfool
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
thanks for shareing.

since you don't mind a good hike you should try woody's cove and the west shore next time. the back side of woody's cove and the west shore is good fishing and is almost always empty cuz no one is willing to hike in there.

yellowboil
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I was at there today on a boat trolling CD5, CD7. Hung 1 fish early but had tough time after that. We graphed a lot of fish in different spots but don't know if they were all trout. Did some bait and wait for a few hours but no takers. Nice day otherwise.

dixoncider
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Friend fished today also, slow for him. 4 fish for 2 people.. couple short bites..I am going to check it out tomorrow maybe this weather on Tuesday night will get something going..

King Halibut
02-14-2011, 06:39 AM
JakesDad,

Don't feel bad, I have been to the lake twice this year (once in a boat) and have been skunked both times which is why I haven't been back.
For some odd reason it appears that Irvine has become a "troll fish" lake.
Now don't get me wrong there are still a few fish being caught from shore but the majority of the fish are being taken trolling.
For the life of me I can't figure out why, in years past I would knock em dead from the shore, any where around the lake but that isn't the case this year.
Still think the lake has way too much water in it, too much room to hide.
I know you "full pool'ers" think I'm full of crap but that's just my opinion.

Give Corona Lake a shot, a lot of fish in a small "pool".

KH

Jake'sDad
02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
thanks for shareing.

since you don't mind a good hike you should try woody's cove and the west shore next time. the back side of woody's cove and the west shore is good fishing and is almost always empty cuz no one is willing to hike in there.

That might be a good idea. Are there any decent trails to hike over that way? And any bank to stand on to cast into the water? I enjoy a little hike but with my arthritic hip I cannot handle breaking my own trail or slipping down steep inclines.

Jake'sDad
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
JakesDad,

Don't feel bad, I have been to the lake twice this year (once in a boat) and have been skunked both times which is why I haven't been back.
For some odd reason it appears that Irvine has become a "troll fish" lake.
Now don't get me wrong there are still a few fish being caught from shore but the majority of the fish are being taken trolling.
For the life of me I can't figure out why, in years past I would knock em dead from the shore, any where around the lake but that isn't the case this year.
Still think the lake has way too much water in it, too much room to hide.
I know you "full pool'ers" think I'm full of crap but that's just my opinion.

Give Corona Lake a shot, a lot of fish in a small "pool".

KH

I don't think it is just Irvine this year. We have been fishing a lot for 3 trout seasons now and this year we have had more skunks than the first two years combined. Maybe the December rains followed by warmer drier weather has something to do with it. Just proves that you can't just go with what worked in the past but keep trying new techniques and locations. I am hoping that the change forecast in the weather this week will bring better fishing.

CALFISHER4EVR
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't think it is just Irvine this year. We have been fishing a lot for 3 trout seasons now and this year we have had more skunks than the first two years combined. Maybe the December rains followed by warmer drier weather has something to do with it. Just proves that you can't just go with what worked in the past but keep trying new techniques and locations. I am hoping that the change forecast in the weather this week will bring better fishing.

I have not had a good season too. I think the heavy rains which caused the dirty water has a lot to do with the below average bite. I also think that because the water levels are up it makes the bite hard if you are not in a good area. Trout like to swim the shallows along the shoreline. Sometimes if you watch shore fisherman you will see a person get a bite and the hookup's kinda moves down the lake. But if you get a fishing spot that is in the submerged weeds you won't catch fish. The trout like to swim between the open water and the underwater brush. I think it pays off to find a sandy open area to fish from when on shore. A good place where you know the fish have to swim by close to the shoreline. The troll has the advantage in condition like what I was saying. When you have bad conditions like this year it makes for a hard time fishing. My 2 cents

Marley
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Yikes. I'm sorry for the skunk. Sounds like you looked in some "right places." I also don't know what's going on this year, seems like a lot of helmets out there.
As for the west shore, it is technically possible to get there, but I would not try to hike down the trail especially with a gimpy joint. Plus, there really isn't a whole lot of shoreline to fish as all that lakeside greenery is either right on the shore or flooded just out in front of it. That whole stretch by the twin willows is fishable, if you can make it to them.
BTW, the Southern California Trout Opener is April 9. I would bet a bunch that fishing will be pretty good on the 10th...
Best of luck,

E.A.R.G.
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I have not had a good season too. I think the heavy rains which caused the dirty water has a lot to do with the below average bite. I also think that because the water levels are up it makes the bite hard if you are not in a good area. Trout like to swim the shallows along the shoreline. Sometimes if you watch shore fisherman you will see a person get a bite and the hookup's kinda moves down the lake. But if you get a fishing spot that is in the submerged weeds you won't catch fish. The trout like to swim between the open water and the underwater brush. I think it pays off to find a sandy open area to fish from when on shore. A good place where you know the fish have to swim by close to the shoreline. The troll has the advantage in condition like what I was saying when you have condition we have this year. My 2 cents

I have to agree with you guys. its been a rougher 3 seasons in a row for me actually.

double triple quadruple limits used to be easy back in the days. I really have to bust my arse to get a few trout these past few seasons.
With west shore closed at Irvine, I won't be going back to that lake. I feel that was the best shoreline and now its closed, which congests the lesser shorelines even more.

I feel the lakes are stocking higher quality fish more and more every season, which makes less fish. Quality over quantity. I never caught so many 3+lbers in 1 season before. Almost every fish I pull out is like 3 lbs. The drawback is you won't get as many.