PDA

View Full Version : Corona 2/12, Dry Spell Over

Marley
02-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I liked it a lot better when I could say "I haven't brought home less than a limit in (insert number here) trips." But it had been six or eight outings since I had managed five (or more, C&R) fish in a trip when I decided to hit up Corona Lake this fine and sunny Saturday.
I had my game plan chosen: rent the boat, straight to Marley's Secret Spot, tear 'em up, home before 1:00 after stopping at Tom's for fresh veggies. In my mind, it worked. At the lake, well, not so much. I loaded the boat and decided I needed to troll.
Around the bend, across tha flats and up towards the inlet channel and all of a sudden my SC Shiner in pink got annihilated by something really big. Bigger, even, than those flooded dead tree trunks I leave so much hardware on out there. But the heavy headshakes put to rest the tree possibility, as well as life of my lure. The fourth or fifth big thump broke the 6-lb. Ande I was trolling with just as the fish started to take some drag. Someone (hopefully) will get a bonus in their trophy when they find that pink jewelry hanging off of that fish.
I anchored up where I had seen a lot of fish caught several weeks ago (and where the staff indicated they were still being caught) for nothing but a front-row seat to a group of float tubers putting on a catching clinic. I bet I watched 20 fish come to net for the half dozen guys in the half hour I was parked. Nice job!
But I had come to catch and not watch, so I decided to hit up the Secret Spot.
Had to wiggle my way between boats and stick my nose in a little tighter than I wanted but I was able to present my baits without hampering anyone's efforts of their own.
I sat in the spot for almost an hour, thinking about going the rest of my life without ever catching another limit, how I had lost whatever "it" was and was never going to catch another trout as long as I lived and wondering just how much I could sell my tackle for on ebay. I mean, if they're not biting 'crawlers, they're not biting, right?
Well, not so. I decided to change out one bait to the designer blown-up mealworm. I had found some 1/32 oz sliding sinkers that, when pinned in place with a size BB split shot, will neither jerk off the worm when it hits the water, nor knock the air out of it and allow it to sink instead of float.
Instant hookup on the bigger grade 2.5-lb trout, followed closely by a second. A third soon came from under a bobber, and the limit was complete by 11:30. Whew!
All of my fish today came on mealworms, four blown up and floating off the bottom, one six feet under the slip bobber. No love on artificials, no love on Power Bait, and nothing on my beloved half-'crawler.
What I saw around me, other than the float tube flurry in the flats, was a slow pick bite with a lot of boats catching fish, just not a numbers bite for most. Most of those fish came on Power Bait in orange or green, or on Power Worms in red or green.
Looks like when I want a limit, I need to go to Corona Lake!

Troutman65
02-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the detailed report as always Marley . Nice going on your limit of trout on a tuff day . :Cool:

sapdawg11
02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Awesome detail Marley. Sounds like a really fun day. Losing a beast is always a heartbreaker but getting to pull on one is a thrill unto itself so congrats! And an even bigger congrats for getting out there and pulling a limit before noon and breaking the dry spell!!

phishin phool
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Great report Marley, sounds like you had a better day than i did. I sure wasnt gettin any love on artificials either, maybe next time I'll take some mealies too. I have had 30 fish days at green valley using them. hope to see ya out there somtime.

Piss on Myspace
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
way to keep your head up and your line wet...nice job on the tough limit...and dont feel bad bout the big one, you were just doing a good deed and leaving him in there so i can catch him.lol..jk...thanks for reporting....good job mang.

E.A.R.G.
02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
"wondering just how much I could sell my tackle for on ebay"
HAHAH

too often done haha
Congrats on the limit!
thanks for the report

Trout-Chaser
02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
This is really what it's all about isn't it? It getting out there no matter what, no matter how many times you get skunked. You just love to be out on the water for the love of fishing--it's all cake. Catching them is the icing. It can be discouraging to go through dry spells, but you can't let it grind you down. You go to get ouside for a day, for the comraderie, for the thrill of the hunt. The price of admission to the lakes is for a day of fun, which may or may not include catching fish!

:Fishing Hole:
TC

TerryCommon
02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Great report Marley! Thank you

Git R Done
02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Nothing like fishing. Enough said