PDA

View Full Version : Fluoro leaders

wackyrigged
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I had some questions on using Fluorocarbon leaders.What length should I make it?Is attaching it to a mono with bloodknot O.K.? Also what is a good brand/sizes for targeting Largemouths and striper with both spinning and baitcasters?Sorry so many questions just have always been a Mono user and the one time I spooled up with Floro I could not cast worth a dam of course I probably bought cheap floro.But your thoughts rant raves and good or bad experiences are much appreciated.

ogrich31
02-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I like my the knot of the leader to be between the reel and first guide of the rod. And I wouldn't use mono with a fluoro leader. More room for failure. IMO, you're better off with straight mono or straight fluoro. The only time I'd consider a leader is with braid, and most of the time its with a mono leader. But if you would like to try a fluoro leader then let me recommend Seaguar Invisx or Abrazx (Knot strength on these lines are some of the best as far as fluoro goes). The best knot I've tried was an Alberto knot. Blood knot works well too. I'd stay away from uni to uni knot.

TUNAVIC
02-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I agree with former post,don't waste your time tying flouro to mono,I know you may think your saving a few bucks that way,but your better off buying a couple of hundred yards of flouro and 1st put a 100yds of cheap stuff on your reel 1st as backing then tie a uniknot to the flouro,and you got a couple reels worth of flouro,once you use it(flouro)you won't want to use mono anymore!JMO.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-13-2011, 06:44 AM
if you want you save money a floro leader is cool.this old guy a few years back turned me on to the surgens knot ,with three turns.it owns over any knot ive ever used for connecting line to line.it sounds like you prefer longer cast.i not sure if your using spinning,but if you want to cast a mile ,have ultimite feel,and never have to worry about having to change your main line. go with 4lb dia 12lb rated crystal fire line. then just use that same knot to tie your floro leader on.that knot will normally go right thru the guides.i use enough leader to go right to the reel.hope this helps......mike the pmb....

Marley
02-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I've seen 100 lb.-plus tuna caught on fluro leaders tied to mono so there should be no problem doing that if you really want to. I am not convinced that fluro is worth the extra money, time and/or knot with th exeption that it gives you more confidence and that is a lot in most situations. If you want to use a long topshot over backing, use braid for the backing and you will be thankful when the fish of a lifetime takes you deep into it.
If you feel you have to use fluro at all.

kirkboat
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
i use power pro with a 6' floro leader and never, never,never had the knot fail...i use two different knots...the uniknot for leaders up to 8lb test and the old knot we used to use to make tapered leaders for 10lb and up...its just the first half of a square knot with three turns...with power pro you will have no more spinning reel blues, casting distance will increase and it will last a couple of years...i use it 1 year and then reverse it for 1 year... for fresh water i will put enough backing on to allow no more than 100 yards of power pro for most of my fishing...if you fish for something that might make a longer run then fill your reel to match your fishing needs...work on your knots so that you can do them with perfection...always do the power pro side of the knot first, it gives the leader something to slide up against...use lots of spit on the leader side....i use this setup in gin clear water with no reduction in bites...try it you'll love it...

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I've used Power Pro braid to fluoro leader for a few years now and am very satisfied with the results, both in fresh and salt water.
Trout fishing using a carolina rig works great since you're tying the braid to a barrel swivel with a slide sinker, then fluoro to the other end of the swivel and a hook at the other end of the fluoro. Also works well with a fly and bubble rig but with a longer fluoro leader. I've also used a blood knot to tie 3-4 ft of fluoro to the braid to tie on when using lures.
When fishing for tunas I use Power Pro braid tied with a blood knot with a 4-5 ft fluoro leader when bait fishing. I have my trolling rod set up with Power Pro tied to a HD swivel, then to a 5 ft fluoro leader, then to the trolling lure. Tossing jigs/lures I tie straight to braid, fish don't seem to be effected.
You just have to try a few different ways to find what works best for you, but I'd definately stay away from the mono to fluoro.
Pwoer Pro has braid down to 5 lb test with the line diameter the size of 1 lb mono, and 8 lb braid with the line diameter of 3 lb mono....you might want to check it out.
TTFM