View Full Version : Rpt.-Thur. 02-10-11-A couple of Big'ns, Blown off the water!

02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Fishing Thur. 2-10-11, with Lal on his 18’ boat “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Huntington Harbor at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being Izor’s Reef. It was a bit breezy, but less than the 8 knots forecasted. The seas were under one foot, which made the ride out to the Reef, a pleasant one.

Arriving at Izor’s Reef, the little bit of wind existing, was coming out of the Southeast. Lal elected to start our first drift on the upper end in 95 feet of water. There were some great pinnacles in our path, and the meter lit up with fish and bait. We drifted for about a ¼ mile with only a couple of short bites for our efforts.

Lal made a move back up the line, running over several very large pinnacles that looked loaded with fish and bait! Not long after we started the second drift, Lal gets absolutely hammered on the wind in, shouting “it’s taking drag, must be a big’n, because my drag is set real tight”. A few good head shakes, another run, with more drag taken, and up comes a six pound beast of a Sand Bass, very plump!

Here is Lal with a six pound Sand Bass, released.



On my next drop down, I got slammed, about three cranks off the bottom, on a five inch MC Red Flake, with Orange Belly, and a 2.5 Oz Red Lead Head. The big Bass fought all the way up to the surface. It turned out to be a 3.5 pound Sand Bass, released.


The drift was rapidly increasing, as the winds began to howl. The scope out was bad, and even with my 2.5 oz Lead Head, I could not hold bottom for more than a couple of seconds. Winding up deep into the water column, I got bit and managed to land a 1.5 pound Sand Bass. That was it!

It was only 8am, and the wind was now intolerable, at 20-25, with gusts to 30. We headed towards the harbor. Getting lots of sea spray, the water was cold and wet! As we approached the harbor, some one mile away, the winds calmed? Being so early in the day we headed back south, only to face a wall of wind a half mile later. Did this twice more before calling “uncle”, we give up! The earliest we have given up in “I can’t remember”. On the trailer at 9:05 am. We gave it our best shot, but Mother Wind got us again! The harbor was calm again when we reached her, however, after trailering the boat, the winds came on strong, as we were leaving.

Thanks Lal, we’ll get them next time!

Hook up! Cory

02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Nice little 'all or nothing' run out to the grounds. I'd say it was worth the effort !! Lal's fish is a beauty ... yet your fishy is no slouch and an excellent specimen of a local, home-grown Sandbass too !!

No matter how rough, you can bet Ducky gave you the best ride in town .... salt-water shower or not !!

Await your next adventure,

thanks for the always great detailed report,


murrieta angler
02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Cory,
That sandie Lal had was a beauty.
Yours wasn't too shabby either.
The winds lately are just ugly and cold, can't wait till they depart So Cal.
Thanks for the report and pictures<