PDA

View Full Version : Dumb fish basket question

Surfnsnowboard3
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
What do you guys use to attach your fish basket to your tube?

I have been using a string that I cut off at the end of the day. This obviously gets old doing every time I go out.

Thanks

Viejo
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a float tube and a pontoon boat but no "fish basket". What the heck is a fish basket? If it is what it sounds like ( a basket that fish go into) why couldn't your use parachute cord with clips on either end. End of the day, just unclip and you're ready to go again.

fishingforreds
02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Buddy of mine uses rope tied to a carabiner. Works for him.

Surfnsnowboard3
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes a fish basket holds the fish. Many people use a fish basket with a float tube and I am looking for their help. I know I can use a stringer, I choose a fish basket.

Thanks

HBAR
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I have a float tube and a pontoon boat but no "fish basket". What the heck is a fish basket? If it is what it sounds like ( a basket that fish go into) why couldn't your use parachute cord with clips on either end. End of the day, just unclip and you're ready to go again.

Exactly that's what I did after almost loosing my "basket" once. I ended up leaving the basket EMPTY at SARL so I bought a floating one, but I also have a 12" inner tube which will go towards the top of the basket to help it float just in case the fish I catch are big.

Surfnsnowboard3
02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
LOL, forgive me. What's a parachute cord and where can I get one?

Marley
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I use a rope stringer. Loop the stringer around the bail of the basket and run the spike end through the ring. I tie off the other end to a cleat, oar lock, D-ring, whatever. A short piece of rope with 'biners on it would be cool. A wheelbarrow innertube fits perfectly around the mouth of the basket (inflating it after putting it on the basket and gives you a much larger and easier-to-hit target when dropping fish.
Two things I have learned the hard way: one is to use some device (mine is a clip off of a chain stringer) to keep closed the hatch in the bottom of the basket because fish have a habit of getting their head under it and getting loose.
The second is if you're trolling with the basket make sure that the mouth and float are dragging above the water line because the moving water will open the float and allow the fish inside to swim upstream and out of the basket.

fishingforreds
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
LOL, forgive me. What's a parachute cord and where can I get one?

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/parachute_cord.htm

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
The 14 years I've used a float tube I've never used a stringer of basket to hold the fish I've caught. Stringers and attached baskets can get your line tangled in them when a fish decides to swim anywhere close to the tube. Thinking this, I searched Cabelas and found this vinyl backed, mesh front float tube creel with velcro tabs at the top to keep it closed. Other manufacturers also make them with prices ranging from $12 to $30. They can be folded flat and can be stored in a tube pocket when not in use and is attached with a couple clips onto the D rings on the side of your tube. Also helps keep the fish alive longer like a basket so you can easily cull the small fish out when you catch a bigger fish and stay within the limit. They look like this.......
http://www.thefloattubestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_19&products_id=351&zenid=ivnopjn2oncrc4tea9jk13h6k6
I still have my original Cabelas creel which is in great shape and use it all the time while tubing.
TTFM

HBAR
02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
"para cord" is comminly found at surplus stores if there are any left, the supply sergant in burbank has the smallest one they carry 50ft or yds for like 2.98 you cut it to the length you want be sure to burn the ends of it so the "guts" dont come out of the piece. Ever been to sports chalet and seen the guy cutting the mountain climbing rope, they have the cutter that melts the rope at the same time. Follow this link you can see what it looks like http://www.wilsontactical.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=86

tailsup1
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I use this stringer attached (pretty thin nylon rope w/ plastic clips) and just attach it to a D-ring w/ a San Diego jam knot (only 2-3 turns). That way I can shorten or lengthen as needed. I try to keep it barely in the water to try to avoid tangles w/ incoming fish. I do like that creel idea that "Trout Tuna For Me" mentioned.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/dwaterboy1/LNL%202-8-11/Download2-8-11129.jpg

HBAR
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I've got two of those stringers but if you notice my avitar pic I dont have a normal float tube so with the "shelf" behind me I can secure the basket there out of the way don't have to worry about getting tangled up

Piss on Myspace
02-10-2011, 01:04 AM
The second is if you're trolling with the basket make sure that the mouth and float are dragging above the water line because the moving water will open the float and allow the fish inside to swim upstream and out of the basket.

hahaha, words from the wise! the same exact thing happened to me at corona today...i even told my nephew not to drive so fast and low and behold....

Poxy Boggards
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I used to use a fsh basket on the tube, but afterloosing several nice fish whil trying to oput them in the basket I went to a heavy metal clip stringer. Less chance to loose a nice fish. If you poke the clip through the front of their eye socket they will live all day.

tankdog
02-11-2011, 04:26 AM
I have a creel they make for floattubes. Caddis use to make them ,and creek company our just check out some fly fishing shops. I have had mine for 10 years works great and only about 25 dollars.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Surfandsnow,
I don't know which way you've decided to go, and for any other tubers interested, Creek Company is having a sale 25-75% Off on many items they have. That float tube creel that I was referring to is now 50% off at $6.99. This sale only goes through Tuesday so you'll have to act fast to get this deal.
Like I said in my first post to this subject, I've found this to be the best way to keep fish when out on a tube. They call it a Wet Storage Bag. Here's the link.....
http://creekcompany.com/home.php?cat=250
At this price you might want to get a couple......one to hold fish and the other to hold drinks, your net, or for whatever you want to keep wet/cold.
TTFM

Surfnsnowboard3
02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Surfandsnow,
I don't know which way you've decided to go, and for any other tubers interested, Creek Company is having a sale 25-75% Off on many items they have. That float tube creel that I was referring to is now 50% off at $6.99. This sale only goes through Tuesday so you'll have to act fast to get this deal.
Like I said in my first post to this subject, I've found this to be the best way to keep fish when out on a tube. They call it a Wet Storage Bag. Here's the link.....
http://creekcompany.com/home.php?cat=250
At this price you might want to get a couple......one to hold fish and the other to hold drinks, your net, or for whatever you want to keep wet/cold.
TTFM

Hey thanks for that link bro. I need a little more clarification though. That bag just sits on the side of the tune and the fish go in it? It doesn't look that big compared to my fish basket. And about losing fish, wouldn't I have the same problem losing fish while putting it in this creel as when I put it in the basket? And the fish stay alive in the creel?

Nessie Hunter
02-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Catch and Release !! Problem solved!!!!

DarkShadow
02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
This brings up an interesting question.

Are you allowed to have live trout in a live well in a boat?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Surfnsnow,
The bag in that link measures 15" x 19" and the one I got from Cabelas measures 18" x 18". It would depend on how big the fish is that you want to put in the creel. I only fish for trout when tubing and keep enough for dinner, no more than a limit. One to one and a half pound trout are approximately up to 16 or 17 inches, I don't need anything bigger than that to "house" my catch.
The bag stays closed with a strip of velcro at the top and I've had no problem putting fish in it. Using a oval shaped net which is smaller than the opening, I just put the net inside the creel, give it half a turn and the fish swims free inside the creel. The side you'll have facing outwards is a mesh which will allow fresh water to get to the fish allowing it to breathe easily. And yes, it clips on the side of your tube on the D rings.
DarkShadow, sure you can keep trout alive in a livewell, but I would think they would have to be on a stringer too, otherwise the DFG might think you're using them for bait.....you'd have to ask a DFG deputy to be sure.
TTFM