PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Lightning Strikes Twice! 2/5/11

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the late report, my modem took a dump and verizon just replaced it today.

I had an appointment on Saturday at 12:00 for a shower door measurement in Oceanside.
I asked my wife on Friday night if she wanted to go with me a couple of hours before the appointment. I said we would do a brisk walk on the beach for about an hour and then go get some crab afterwards. She declined, so I said I would head out earlier and get some fishing in, she said, “ How did I know?!?”…..:Razz:
I woke up at 5:00 the next morning and did my usual routine. The last thing I do is check my PM’s and see if anybody is heading out. Jerry said he was heading to Malibu for a gray light session. Awww mannn! It was too late for me, it takes me just under 2 hours to get to Malibu plus I had my appointment. Next time.
So I was out the door just before 6:00 and arrived just after sunset.
The outside temperature was 57, the waves were supposed to be head high, the swell were supposed to be 3-4 feet every 15-20 seconds and the water temp was supposed to be 57. Everything was right on!
I had already told myself that I was going to go back to Carlsbad and give the WSB another try. I started with my 6’6” Intercoastal, medium action, and had on my 2500 Saros with 15# Spiderwire. My candy for the morning would be an LC 110 in Aurora Calico Bass.
I got my line wet at around 7:15 and preceded to work my way South. For the first hour I had no luck. There were a lot of surfers in the water, they had some very nice sets coming from NNW.
After an hour I finally got my first hit and miss…Dang It!
So I kept throwing and was finally rewarded with a little 5-6” BSP. I ended up getting 2 other smaller BSP within half an hour.
It was almost 8:30 and I was just about back at the spot from Thursday when I ran into a teenage kid tossing gulp bait for perch. I said how’s it going and he said slow. I looked at his gulp and it was a little 1” piece. I said if you want bigger fish, use bigger bait.
He asked what I was using and I showed him and I don’t think he believed that I caught the small perch with a 4 ½” plastic bait.
I then informed him about the fish I caught Thursday and told him where to fish, again, he looked at me like I was crazy. I said good luck and went on my way.
I decided to change my bait to a LC 110 in Anchovy. Not two minutes goes by and I get a little perch hit. I reel it in and it was about 8-9 inches. I look over at the kid and he just shakes his head…
I let it go and then cast out again…WHAMMMM…FISH ON!!!!
I know this is a good sized fish and cannot wait to see it, I HOPE!!
It starts tearing line and heading out for about half a minute, when all of a sudden it starts coming back straight to the shore. I’m reeling as fast as I can but my line is still limp, PLEASE LET ME CATCH THIS FISH!? All of a sudden my line tightens up and this fish jumps out of the water, not once but twice! There are some surfers next to me and they are watching in anticipation. I keep reeling for another 2 minutes, or so, I see the dorsal fin and I know what kind of fish it belongs to;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205110853.jpg

Good Lord, Thank You!
I know it’s larger than the other WSB I caught on Thursday and can’t wait to get the tape and phone out for some pictures;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205110857.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205110854.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205110854a.jpg

34” of pure fun and another PB!
I see the young man coming over to me and he asks what type of fish it was. I tell him and says he hopes to catch one that big…
I ask him if he could take a picture of me with it, and he obliges;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205110855.jpg

I took a little break after that. I think I used up all my testosterone. So I went to the truck, had some OJ and crackers and grabbed my little Sedona 500 for some perching on light gear.
I was using 6# test on a C-Rig with 4” curly tails, in motoroil.
I did catch 3 more perch, here’s one of them, that I gave to the kid;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0205111006.jpg

I think it was right around 10”. He said thank you and that he wasn’t doing so well. I reminded him about the size of the bait and I gave him some curly tails.

Well, it was time to go to my appointment and I left a happy man..

Thanks for Reading & God Bless You All,
Robert
<><

Bait Fish
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Way to go on the WSB Robert and congrats on the Personal Best!

TroutOnly
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
GREAT FISH ROBERT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

E.A.R.G.
02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
What the
legal wsb from surf in feb?!?

rock&reel
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
:EyePop:Good job man. Can you show me a picture of the bait you was using tanks.

bones
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Now that's what it's all about Robert. Very nice WSB my friend! Arthur showed me the pic of the fish with the hat and I knew you had my PB beat for sure. The day that Arthur caught that 35 incher I also hung a nice one but it made that steam train move straight at me just like yours (my 5/1 couldn't keep up) and then she popped off on the next run! Glad you held onto her buddy! Keep up the good work....Something tells me that there is going to be a SWAT hunt for stripers and WSB this comming weekend!

Thanks for th SWAT recon from down south.

Tight Lines----------<><

iLLest
02-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Dude! LOL, another one!!! good sh*t bro, that thing is a beauty. It seems like the WSB are around your area eh? Time to get locked N loaded! :Cool:

tomah
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice one!!!! So lucky!

JapanRon
02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

Great job !! All these guy putting out $220 a pop, numberous times just to come up with nada on some of those 6 to 10 pacs !! ha ha ha Funny stuff !!

thanks,

JapanRon

exfactor
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
makes my 12 12"+ perch look measley! I guess thats why we are throwing our lines in the water. Good job bro.

fishshep
02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

TWO in a row, in one month :Shocked:
Blessed!!! is all that can be said !!! :Big Grin:

bowler
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Nice WSB Robert.

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Way to go on the WSB Robert and congrats on the Personal Best!

Thank You Bait Fish.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
GREAT FISH ROBERT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O,
I was stoked, for sure.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
What the
legal wsb from surf in feb?!?

Hey Eric,
I've had this hunch and it paid off.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
:EyePop:Good job man. Can you show me a picture of the bait you was using tanks.

This is the type but different colors;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/0208112028.jpg

Hope this helps.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Now that's what it's all about Robert. Very nice WSB my friend! Arthur showed me the pic of the fish with the hat and I knew you had my PB beat for sure. The day that Arthur caught that 35 incher I also hung a nice one but it made that steam train move straight at me just like yours (my 5/1 couldn't keep up) and then she popped off on the next run! Glad you held onto her buddy! Keep up the good work....Something tells me that there is going to be a SWAT hunt for stripers and WSB this comming weekend!

Thanks for th SWAT recon from down south.

Tight Lines----------<><

My pleasure Mike,
If you guys do want to head South, PM me and I'll give exact location.
Thanks for the kind words,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Dude! LOL, another one!!! good sh*t bro, that thing is a beauty. It seems like the WSB are around your area eh? Time to get locked N loaded! :Cool:

Dude, Frank!
It's all luck Bud, I'm just in the right place at the right time.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna head up North this weekend, what are your plans?
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Nice one!!!! So lucky!

Thank You tomah,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

Great job !! All these guy putting out $220 a pop, numberous times just to come up with nada on some of those 6 to 10 pacs !! ha ha ha Funny stuff !!

thanks,

JapanRon

Thanks Ron,
I've been one of those guys and have been skunked EVERY time..lol
My Pleasure,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:37 PM
makes my 12 12"+ perch look measley! I guess thats why we are throwing our lines in the water. Good job bro.

Mikey,
Aint nothing wrong with 12" perch. I'll take em all day and night if I could..hehe
Thanks,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

TWO in a row, in one month :Shocked:
Blessed!!! is all that can be said !!! :Big Grin:

Amen Daniel, Amen!
Take Care,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice WSB Robert.

Thank You Greg.
I will be waiting for that call to head out. Just let me know when and where or I can give direction.
Robert
<><

ToadsToadsOnly
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I knew you would get that legal congrats.

klocked
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
That is awesome Robert! Congrats on a sweet fish bro!

troutdog
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
WTG Robert, congrats on the Pb wsb....what a great day!

TD

Wingnut
02-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Just landed and in my hotel room checking out your long awaited report. :Envious:
Very well done, you make S.W.A.T. proud! :Big Grin:
How did you like that initial burst of speed?!? :Twisted:
Be back in town Friday night... may take another shot at the surf Stripers this weekend. :Wink:

Newfishsmell
02-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Beautiful fish Robert , thats one very special catch from the surf !!
Next time i'm visiting family in Oceanside , i'm calling you up for a
guided trip :Big Grin:

DockRat
02-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Two in a Week !!! U Da Man :Worship:
DR

stepchild
02-09-2011, 07:00 AM
wtg robert!!!!!since you've been a swat member,i see nothing but great reports coming from ya....you deserve it,you put in some time on the surf fishing...congrats...kudos for hooking the kid up with some plastics.....

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I knew you would get that legal congrats.

Hey Jonathan,
Thanks, I was hoping to get a legal this year. It came earlier than I thought.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
That is awesome Robert! Congrats on a sweet fish bro!

Thanks John,
You gonna get out this weekend?
I think somethings brewing... : )
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
WTG Robert, congrats on the Pb wsb....what a great day!

TD

Hi Aaron,
Thanks, I will remeber it for a very long time or till my Alzheimers kicks in.. : )
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Just landed and in my hotel room checking out your long awaited report. :Envious:
Very well done, you make S.W.A.T. proud! :Big Grin:
How did you like that initial burst of speed?!? :Twisted:
Be back in town Friday night... may take another shot at the surf Stripers this weekend. :Wink:

Hey Arthur,
It was tough and a little scary at the same time. Didn't know how long it would run and if I had enough line.
But it all worked out well.
Give me a call when you get back in town. I'm down for a crusade in the Northern territory.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Beautiful fish Robert , thats one very special catch from the surf !!
Next time i'm visiting family in Oceanside , i'm calling you up for a
guided trip :Big Grin:

Hey Chuck,
It would be my pleasure Bro.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Two in a Week !!! U Da Man :Worship:
DR

Thank You DR.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
wtg robert!!!!!since you've been a swat member,i see nothing but great reports coming from ya....you deserve it,you put in some time on the surf fishing...congrats...kudos for hooking the kid up with some plastics.....

Hey stepchild,
In my opinion S.W.A.T. is just a group of people who enjoy fishing, camaraderie, teaching, learning and a general respect for the enviroment.
I thank you for the kind words and look forward to fishing with you one day.
Robert
<><

BTW, What's your name? : )

flyngby
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Robert,

Congrats on the new PB Ghost! Not necessarily lightning but persistence and hard work being rewarded by Poseidon.

Nice work "Paying it Forward" and making a believer out of the kid and of course sending him home with a meal! Did you send him off with a complimentary LC 110 also?

Look forward to hitting it with you again and the crew again!

fishing allure
02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Great report. I gotta get myself back out there. And with bigger bait. Thanks.

Native Gal
02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
MA,
Another Sweet PB in one week, AWESOME! You definitely work hard and are rewarded with results, Congrats! Personally I believe part of the reason for your success is the hard work ethic of training for your outing, the "six-pack", :Envious:.

NG
:Cool:

iLLest
02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Dude, Frank!
It's all luck Bud, I'm just in the right place at the right time.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna head up North this weekend, what are your plans?
Robert
<><

I'm not too sure, I know I had some sort of plans but dont remember for what day exactly. I gotta talk to the gf and see whats up...but im pretty sure I'll have some time for some greylight assault. :Death2Above::Flamethrower:

I'll get back to you tomorrow and tell you for sure, lets see if any of the other guys are available too...

brycek1984
02-10-2011, 01:39 AM
It 's nice. Not the biggest I 've seen, but very nice.

murrieta angler
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
It 's nice. Not the biggest I 've seen, but very nice.

Oh, I've definately seen bigger.
As a matter of fact, a boat out of Pierpoint just caught 14 WSB and I can bet that they were good sized.
Robert
<><

Lipripper93561
02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Seeing this post is making me so jealous.....wsb from the shore....that's been my dream for some time after catching a small one in the Ventura harbor. Hoping I can pound some sand on Saturday....hope to see you out.

blackwater
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
That's what i'm talking about, super job Robert, way to make the Brotherhood proud bro. :Big Grin:
Beautiful WSB. :Envious:

bsp
02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I knew you'd stick one Robert! A legal WSB from the surf is very impressive, and not something most can say they've ever done. I've lost a few of them, but never managed to land one. Major props and hope to hit the surf with you soon!

murrieta angler
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
That's what i'm talking about, super job Robert, way to make the Brotherhood proud bro. :Big Grin:
Beautiful WSB. :Envious:

Thanks Phuong,
I had a blast reeling it in.
When you gonna head out with us?
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I knew you'd stick one Robert! A legal WSB from the surf is very impressive, and not something most can say they've ever done. I've lost a few of them, but never managed to land one. Major props and hope to hit the surf with you soon!

Thanks Marc,
I am very pleased with my fish, but after seeing that Striper I have a new goal.
As a matter of fact, I also need to reel in nice Ling, like the one Mike caught.
Look forward to fishing with you also Marc.
Robert
<><

frank62
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
hello new to this sport can u pls recommand a good spot for surf fishing thnkz

Famous Ticketz
02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
yea, any pier is a good start

GETBIT!
02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Awsome man,nice croaker,surf fishing is really making a comeback

murrieta angler
02-15-2011, 08:06 AM
hello new to this sport can u pls recommand a good spot for surf fishing thnkz

You can start at places with structure. There will most always be fish there.
Also, try starting about an hour before high tide till an hour after words.
Robert
<><