PDA

View Full Version : Hand painted lures

Thisfool
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
ok so i recently started painting my own lures. i order unpainted lures and paint them

these or my first attempt's. they are 100% hand brush painted. it is obvious i borrowed some color patterns from some popular Rapalas and i know those colors work (gold and black/ silver and black).

The pink one was the first one i painted and i have already caught a trout on it while trolling at the vine and i was very confident that it would. but im not sure about the other ones so im just asking for all your guys opinions and advice on the color patterns i have made and maybe what i should try next

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a424/Travis_Hernandez/lure1.jpg

Danny300
02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
nice job bro....they would work for sure out here.

Thisfool
02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
thanks man.

5150fishn
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
The lures look sweet bro! I would add a orange one too your arsenal. The ones you already painted look like vine specials to me.

Thisfool
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
The lures look sweet bro! I would add a orange one too your arsenal. The ones you already painted look like vine specials to me.

yea thanks man i wanted to make an orange one but at the time i made those i only had a basic set of 6 colors. black, silver, white, blue, yellow, and red.

i tried very hard to mix my own green and my own orange but i was not to successful. the green on the yellow one is the closest i could get to a nice regular green and even the yellow on that one is a mixed color. i guess true yellow is much darker then you think i had to add white to it to get that yellow

DarkShadow
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Thisfool,

2 patterns that should be in EVERY lure manufacturer's color palette, but for some strange absurd reason, they are not.

1. Silverside Smelt

2. Threadfin Shad

These are the primary forage fish for most lakes in SoCal...yet, LuckyCraft seems to be the only company that has made a legitimate threadfin shad pattern (No, "Sexy Shad" is not a threadfin pattern, try harder) and they only released that color scheme late last year, and on a limited number of models.

Nessie Hunter
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Along with;
Baby Bass, Baby Striper, Trout, Blue gill, Perch & Crappie just to name a few.... ;-)

Thisfool,

2 patterns that should be in EVERY lure manufacturer's color palette, but for some strange absurd reason, they are not.

1. Silverside Smelt

2. Threadfin Shad

These are the primary forage fish for most lakes in SoCal...yet, LuckyCraft seems to be the only company that has made a legitimate threadfin shad pattern (No, "Sexy Shad" is not a threadfin pattern, try harder) and they only released that color scheme late last year, and on a limited number of models.

old pudd fisher
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Very nice, I wish I had the patience to do that.

exfactor
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
rapala hot steel color works killer

Thisfool
02-11-2011, 12:47 AM
cool thanks for the ideas guys

but im having a bit of trouble finding the silver-side smelt i googled it and like a million different pics came up and not enough of one for me to say that is a silver side smelt

the baby bass, crappie and tabby striper are all great ideas but not sure if they are good trout troller colors

and great idea about the hot steel color as soon as i get in my next batch of blank lure boddies that will be one of the first ones i paint.

smokehound
02-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Have you looked into createx airbrush paint? They have transparent colors, Iridescent colors, metallic colors, pearly colors.. I like their colors.

I plan on purchasing some pearl white LC110 SW flashminnows.. I need to find a good clear-coat for this.. something that can handle the surf..

Makes an excellent base for many fish..

I think the lure on the far right could use a completely black head-- to mimic a spawning male fathead minnow

I hope I dont screw up! LOL. 20 bucks down the drain.. Ouch..

Thisfool
02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Have you looked into createx airbrush paint? They have transparent colors, Iridescent colors, metallic colors, pearly colors.. I like their colors.

I plan on purchasing some pearl white LC110 SW flashminnows.. I need to find a good clear-coat for this.. something that can handle the surf..

Makes an excellent base for many fish..

I think the lure on the far right could use a completely black head-- to mimic a spawning male fathead minnow

I hope I dont screw up! LOL. 20 bucks down the drain.. Ouch..

yea i have looked into geting a airbrush set up but im not ready to pull the trigger on that just yet.

exfactor
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
look on ebay, some sweet deals on air brushes cheap

Thisfool
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
yea im look for a specific model and a compressor. but as of now i do not have an ideal work space for an airbrush work shop

DarkShadow
02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
thisfool,

you should jump aboard the new technology, which is photo wrapping the lures.

I've seen some pretty insanely sick wrap jobs done on anything from 1 inch baits, to 10" triple trouts.

Thisfool
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
thisfool,

you should jump aboard the new technology, which is photo wrapping the lures.

I've seen some pretty insanely sick wrap jobs done on anything from 1 inch baits, to 10" triple trouts.

and how dose one do that

DarkShadow
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
and how dose one do that

:-D I dunno, I always wondered myself.

I just know what the end results look like:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5912/customtt2ov2.jpg

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picbthon13.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/Allatoonabass/CustomPaintedTru-Tungsten002-1.jpg

Thisfool
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
hmmm looks like an expensive process

smokehound
02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm gonna buy a ton of pearl SW lc's, and use them as a base, that way I can sell them for more

Pearl would make a great Calico base. Great for surfperch, too.

Thisfool
02-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm gonna buy a ton of pearl SW lc's, and use them as a base, that way I can sell them for more

Pearl would make a great Calico base. Great for surfperch, too.

that is a great idea man post up some pics of the finished products.

benichi
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
hey buddy you did a really good job hand painting them.. i run a tackle shop and i started by hand painting but air brushing is so much faster and you can achieve great affects with the air brush... if you are going to be painting your own lures now i would recommend looking into a small air brush system. if you get one let me know i will tell you all the cool tricks i know to get some amazing patterns an affects. and also how to use it.

Thisfool
02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
hey buddy you did a really good job hand painting them.. i run a tackle shop and i started by hand painting but air brushing is so much faster and you can achieve great affects with the air brush... if you are going to be painting your own lures now i would recommend looking into a small air brush system. if you get one let me know i will tell you all the cool tricks i know to get some amazing patterns an affects. and also how to use it.

cool thanks man. i was looking into geting an airbrush set up but i am holding off on that untill i have a better workplace for it and more money.

Greg Madrigal
02-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Nice work! That is a rewarding way to fish indeed! I like Fire Tiger myself. Works like a charm.

GM<><

Thisfool
02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Nice work! That is a rewarding way to fish indeed! I like Fire Tiger myself. Works like a charm.

GM<><

thank you. the first one i painted was the pink one (i call it the pepto-shark) and it so far is the only one that has caught me a trout. the others have only hit the water once and well it was a very slow day of fishing i caught one trout that day and it came on a pink sc shiner. the gold one did catch me a crappie and the crappie engulfed it had both hooks in its mouth.

i just got some new blanks in. i think i messed up though cuz i got a different body style looks more like a bass crank bait then a minnow so im not 100% sure how well they will do for trout but im still going to have fun painting them and testing them.