PDA

View Full Version : Fin & Feather

yolo
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Got invited today to go to the Fin to fish fro some trout. I have not been trout fishing in ages. Took a light set up with 6lb flouro and a micro light with 2lb mono. 3 of us on a boat and it was trolling only. I couldn't use my micro light for that and since the boat owner just liked to troll, I was using my light with 6lb. We were trolling small Rapalas and one guy hooked up twice and nothing for me and another buddy. Then the bit died. I decided to throw out my striper lure. I threw out my Rapal X-Rap 10. It's a 4" lure and then I nailed 3 back to back. The Fin guy could not believe they hit such a large lure and he said no one ever throws anything that big. They all switched over to the same size Rapala but not the X-Rap. We all started nailing them. Triple limit is how we ended the day. All fish had orange/pinkish meat. Mostly full tails but these fish still just rolled into the boat and not much fight. They ranged from 2 to 3.5 lbs. No mini stocker fish. I guess they put a bunch of decent sized fish in. My first time fishing this lake. i wish I could have thrown some of my homemade mini jigs that I cut out of some striper worn Basstrix Tubes. Maybe another time?

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Fin%202-7-11/Trout.jpg

wackyrigged
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Great job.I have heard those fish in there will go after shad raps too

dockboy
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Those trout are crazy aggressive. Have landed 2lb trout there on full sized creature baits, and a few big ones fishing spinnerbaits for bass two. One of our 2 fish weighing 9lbs ate a 1/4oz blade in 3 feet of water there, my Dad got it in the middle of April!

Double A
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
what are you doing catching striper bait

nice limit Z, way to turn your boat's luck around

i was gonna ask how the conditions were at the duct, but with that report, i can read between the lines.

tpfishnfool
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Trollers usually only get the smaller models.. Fish the docks where the bigger trout like to hang. First 30 feet out is best in the cooler months.

yolo
02-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Have not been to the duct in several days. Yesterday would have been a nice day to go but I was at the lake instead. When I threw the X-Rap I was actually hoping to maybe get lucky and catch a possible striper out of there. There have to be a few still in there and the few there are most likely 25+ pounds imo. I was pretty surprised to see the trout hit a lure that big. So was the veteran Fin member I was with.

yolo
02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Trollers usually only get the smaller models.. Fish the docks where the bigger trout like to hang. First 30 feet out is best in the cooler months.

Yeah I would have liked to do that but I didn't want to rock the boat so to speak. I was just a guest on a boat so I was just going with the flow. I had a killer little jig I made from a Basstrix Tube tentacle and I know the shore cruisers would have just smacked the heck out of it. I would have rather walked the shore, hit the docks and walked the pier. Did see a DD LMB cruising only 2' under water way out in the lake while trolling.

INDOANGLER2.1
02-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Fishgnfool is correct about the big ones being close to shore. Saturday and Sunday we had easy limits from the boat but couldn't get close enough to the shore to get the big ones because it was so crowded. Yesterday (Monday) I was able to pull my boat up against the trees between dock 4 and 5. And was able to nail an 8.5 lbr and lost one at laest that big. Over the weekend my friend Tony caught 4 DD's on the Jerkits. I caught mine on them as well. Yolo sorry i didn't recognize you yesterday, would have been nice to chat. We did do a littler trolling on Saturday and caught a couple on the jointed Shadrap. I tried for bass on Saturday and caught one 2lbr on plastic, but that was it.