PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Newport Harbor. Any Pointers?

Wkendwarior
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about NPH. I have read that Newport Dunes is the only launch ramp. Is this true? What time is best to launch with out too much traffic? Being the first time I want to take it slow. I want to go out March 5th. Also are there any good locations to start off with? What bait should I use and/or swim baits/lures should I use?
I was thinking of using a MH Baitcaster with 12lb fluoro, will that work?

Thanks for the help guys.

GETBIT!
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Dont know how many guys are gonna post there spots on here, but hey, you never know, you may get lucky........ nph has alota good structure, Ive been hitttin it on foot lately & they seem to take a liken to my 7' robo worm weedless set up, alota guys are getn em on 3' swim baits to, theres fish all over that place you just gotta get out there, get em!

Wkendwarior
02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks much on the good info. I will surely pick up some of those baits. Anyone got any info on the ramp?

DockRat
02-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks much on the good info. I will surely pick up some of those baits. Anyone got any info on the ramp?

Saturday Mar 5, 2011

3:11 AM Low 0.7
9:03 AM High 4.8
3:27 PM Low 0.3
9:30 PM High 4.6

Wkendwarior
02-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Mentioning the high and low tides, I did not even think of how that effects launching and retrieving the boat. I would think the ramps are laid out to work both high and low. Or should I be concerned when to launch?

DockRat
02-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Mentioning the high and low tides, I did not even think of how that effects launching and retrieving the boat. I would think the ramps are laid out to work both high and low. Or should I be concerned when to launch?

Only could be a problem at low tide when you spin tires on the slick moss and sink your truck. :Shocked:

Here is a video on launching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zVCoPHh5h0

Just kidding, LOL DR

Nessie Hunter
02-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Newport Dunes is a steep ramp and slick as snot at lowest tide!!!
I see the tide chart above, use it...
Of course best bite is with water moving, Incoming is optimum!!
Suggest 6 AM till noon for best bite/water movement...
And you would miss lowest tide at ramp....

Busy Sat AM with all the clowns & weekend Deadliest Catch wanna be's..
$20 on weekends & $10 other times (I think, been awhile??)...
Early would be better IMHO (5 AM ish)....

If you doing C&R on bass I would go all the way down to 6# line and fish structure.
For gods sake dont eat anything from that Bay!!!!!!!

Live bait at the barge, or Sabiki up some Smelt. Fresh dead Squid or Chovies, Texas or Carolina rig..
I live on the drop shot in the bays..
Or simple lead head & curly tail grub etc etc...
Or High Low rig (Lead head at bottom, drop shot higher up).
Swim Baits (on 1/4 to 3/8 Oz heads) or Grubs (Single Curly tail type)...
Fresh water bass fishing. even blades work great at times...

Wkendwarior
02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
So what you telling me is I can fish the Bass the same way I would fish LMB? I do not plan on eating or keeping any of the fish so no worries there. Launching at 5ish brings me that much closer to the am low tide. Will I have a problem with slipping on the ramp? truck will be a f250 diesel 4x4 crew cab so its not light.

pigdestroyer
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
All of my success has come off the the Berkley gulp shrimp, New Penny, 2" & 3", on a 1/4 oz. owner darter head. Light line, light rod. Just slow roll it (very slow) on the bottom with the current. When you get bit, keep reeling slowly until the fish is hooked up, then lift and reel fast like a dropshot bite. I throw this on spinning gear with 4-8lb line and a medium or ML rod. It will catch numbers.

We catch all kinds of fish this way. Bass, crocker, rays, sharks, halibut, even a few small white seabass. I haven't been out there for a while, but it is a blast. This is my wife's favorite way to fish because she knows she will catch. :)

Good luck.

Nessie Hunter
02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
That truck is heavy enough to be just fine (as long as the boat isnt a 35' cabin Cruiser)..

What pigdestroyer said...

Drop down on Pilings & around docks, walls etc, look for rock areas, slow roll over Eel grass, and even just sandy areas..
They are everywhere...
Waterway intersections of all kinds. Bridges, under boats - Etc etc..
I used to Float Tube NPH 4 or 5 times a week (till gas went up)...
Fished 4# to 6# on drop shot rod or even U/L rods.. Killed em & loved it....

Dont rule out bass worms & Flukes etc.. Killer baits.... Jigs with trailers.
It all works !!!!!
Aggressive Spotties will Hammer them on the drop!!!
They hit so hard most times setting the hook isnt even needed....
Troll around some Jerk Baits.. WSB (juveniles, shorts) Bonita, Man its all fun....

Wkendwarior
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
The boat is just a 18ft tri hull so does not weigh much.
Man all this talk is making me anxious to get out there sooner.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Tight Lines.

smokehound
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
basically anything will work on a spottie. Fongfish, christmastree, and redrum are excellent Big Hammer colors for harbor bass.

I caught a sandie with a frog lure once. They'll hit anything they deem alive. But they're also very cautious..

Wkendwarior
02-10-2011, 06:27 AM
So what your saying is that they will eat it as long as I make it look real, but I cant just wiggle my finger in the water?:) Thanks for the tip. Sounds like that any of my bass baits will work just fine. I did pick up a few BH choices.

smokehound
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
So what your saying is that they will eat it as long as I make it look real, but I cant just wiggle my finger in the water?:) Thanks for the tip. Sounds like that any of my bass baits will work just fine. I did pick up a few BH choices.If you're worried about being skunked, try starting out with gulp products, those work well. I just use them like Big-hammers-- bounce them on the bottom.

You should have some fun with the shrimp-- just about any harbor fish will strike them.

Also-- get some scents too! Smelly jelly is good!