PDA

View Full Version : Trolling teasers?

DHarris
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on these. Like most of you I tend to troll various rapals, cultivas, ect. I was told to try putting sep's spinner blades in front of my lure. Bought the silver willow blades (3 per leader) ran them about 16" in front of my lure. I caught a fish on that rig first so clearly they don't scare them away but shortly after someone in a pontoon boat thought it was a good idea to cross about 15' behind me and cut off both my lines :Evil:

I'm debating if it's worth picking up some more of the teasers. I've had plenty of luck without them so clearly they aren't "needed" but just wondering if anyone else has used them and if it's improved their numbers.

Josh
02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Never have used these myself. Everything I've caught trolling has been with the lure alone.

You didn't happen to get cut off by a pontoon running down-riggers on saturday did you?

DHarris
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
No, it was on Jan. 15th during the tourney. I haven't had a chance to get back out since. I read your earlier report, sorry to hear you got cut off as well. I understand that many people are trolling the lake and it's inevitable that it's going to happen but it's really unfortunate when people really just don't care. I actually had another pontoon cut my off that day as well down by the dam. A bunch of guys were riding around with no one at the wheel. I yelled to them to pay attention and got flipped off...

I'm finally getting out tomorrow. Debating between the vine or corona(I'm still yet to try it).

Josh
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
No, it was on Jan. 15th during the tourney. I haven't had a chance to get back out since. I read your earlier report, sorry to hear you got cut off as well. I understand that many people are trolling the lake and it's inevitable that it's going to happen but it's really unfortunate when people really just don't care. I actually had another pontoon cut my off that day as well down by the dam. A bunch of guys were riding around with no one at the wheel. I yelled to them to pay attention and got flipped off...

I'm finally getting out tomorrow. Debating between the vine or corona(I'm still yet to try it).

what annoyed me is for the most part people troll the same direction and in general don't get in each others way, this one was just going wherever he pleased. Like I said in my report, a simple sorry would have sufficed.
Sorry to hear you had similar issues. I'm off the water for the week, going to take the wife to San Diego for the weekend so no fishing but plan to be at the vine for Presidents day and maybe a trip from there to SARL or Corona for the lightning trout.

Thisfool
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
hmmm i have never used them either but i would help to make more of a school of bait fish effect oppose to just one bait fish swimming all by its self. i may have to give them a try.

Marley
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Someone once told me not to use the "big ones, because they're bigger than the baitfish in the lake and will do more to scare the fish than attract them" referring to the size of the blades. I am not an accomplished troller (working on it) but I remember those words. I never did buy small blades, either.

TroutOnly
02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
FLASHERS AND DODGERS ARE GREAT FOR TROUT,YOU CAN RUN LURES ,TROLLING FLIES OR CRAWLERS OR GRUBS BEHIND THEM AND SLAY,ITS IMPORTANT TO RUN THEM SLOW,THE SMALL MINI ONES MEMICK A SCHOOL OF SHAD OR OTHER BAIT,THE LARGER FLASHERS WHICH I LOVE MEMIC FEEDING TROUT THE ONES YOURE AFTER SEE IT AND THINK THEY ARE OTHER TROUT FEEDING AND COME LOOKING FOR WHATS GOING ON,YOU NEED TO READ UP ON THEM CAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY VARITIONS AND COMBONATIONS,,,,,IVE ALWAYS SLAYED AT THE VINE WITH THEM,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

Marley
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
FLASHERS AND DODGERS ARE GREAT FOR TROUT,YOU CAN RUN LURES ,TROLLING FLIES OR CRAWLERS OR GRUBS BEHIND THEM AND SLAY,ITS IMPORTANT TO RUN THEM SLOW,THE SMALL MINI ONES MEMICK A SCHOOL OF SHAD OR OTHER BAIT,THE LARGER FLASHERS WHICH I LOVE MEMIC FEEDING TROUT THE ONES YOURE AFTER SEE IT AND THINK THEY ARE OTHER TROUT FEEDING AND COME LOOKING FOR WHATS GOING ON,YOU NEED TO READ UP ON THEM CAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY VARITIONS AND COMBONATIONS,,,,,IVE ALWAYS SLAYED AT THE VINE WITH THEM,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

Do you run big ones or little ones?

MustHuntAndFish
02-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Trolling teasers?
What is everyone's thoughts on these. Like most of you I tend to troll various rapals, cultivas, ect. I was told to try putting sep's spinner blades in front of my lure. Bought the silver willow blades (3 per leader) ran them about 16" in front of my lure. I caught a fish on that rig first so clearly they don't scare them away but shortly after someone in a pontoon boat thought it was a good idea to cross about 15' behind me and cut off both my lines

I'm debating if it's worth picking up some more of the teasers. I've had plenty of luck without them so clearly they aren't "needed" but just wondering if anyone else has used them and if it's improved their numbers.

I definitely think flashers/teasers are something you should have in your trout trolling arsenal. Just like any other setup you may use... some days they may not produce but on others they may be the ticket to hauling in a limit. As T/O pointed out, they can be rigged with many different baits and may times are the key to SLAYAGE!

TroutOnly
trolling

T/O... Have you ever used flashers while chasing Stripey? I was thinking about slow rolling chovies behind flashers after reading a fellow FNNr's report where he slayed at Skinner trolling chovies by themselves.:Idea: I don't see why it wouldn't work. What do you think?

TroutOnly
02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
both marley,you can run little seps mini's with a little miras shad ,ive used big silver ford fenders with crawlers and done well at the vine,you have to match the colors with the water colors deep or badly stained water calls for gold colored flashers ,and yes they work good as atrractors for stripers,with spoons or other offerings such as chovies or sardines ,ive caught alot of stripers with just threaded crawlers,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,

MustHuntAndFish
02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
TroutOnly
flashers

both marley,you can run little seps mini's with a little miras shad ,ive used big silver ford fenders with crawlers and done well at the vine,you have to match the colors with the water colors deep or badly stained water calls for gold colored flashers ,and yes they work good as atrractors for stripers,with spoons or other offerings such as chovies or sardines ,ive caught alot of stripers with just threaded crawlers,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,

Threaded crawlers behind flashers is how I grew up chasin trout in the Sierras. I was planning on trying it with chovies for Striper anyway but it gives me a little more confidence knowing somebody has had success doing it before. Especially someone with your experience. This will be my plan of attack until I order or find some place locally to buy U rigs.

Maybe I'll PM you T/O and book a day out at the Mid so I can learn how the U rig method is done correctly. If I'm gonna put money into U rigs I may as well learn how to use them correctly.:Cool:

DHarris
02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
you have to match the colors with the water colors deep or badly stained water calls for gold colored flashers

Great to know. I had only used the silver and was unsure of how to know when to use the gold vs. silver. I assumed it was based upon what the fish were eating and not water quality. I guess this makes more sense.

MustHuntAndFish
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Great to know. I had only used the silver and was unsure of how to know when to use the gold vs. silver. I assumed it was based upon what the fish were eating and not water quality. I guess this makes more sense.

DHarris....

Many fisherman follow that rule when choosing lure colors also. In murky water or on cloudy days they'll use gold/dark colored spoons or lures and will use silver/lighter colored spoons or lures on bright sunny days. I usually will go with this rule of thumb when starting a day of trolling... If I'm not getting any love then I'll change things up.

Get out there and experiment... nothing is better than that first hand knowledge:Big Grin:

TroutOnly
02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
matching the color of the lures and attractors to water color and depth youre fishing is crictical for success,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,