PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 - Hard day at the vinefor team attrocity but a good day overall

Josh
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Well the day started off in true Team Attrocity style. I was rudely awoken at 1:30 am thanks to one of the dogs and one of our cats. Since I couldn't get back to sleep I figured I'd run down to the lake early to catch up with TaperSteve and ThisFool in order to beat traffic and get the trolling motor sorted. I get to 7-eleven and thanks to bank issues I couldn't even get the necessary drinks, ice and smokes to get me through the day. After much swearing and trying to deal with the bank (which was closed) I left the house around 3 and figured I would just get ahold of the bank hotline when I got to the lake.

On the way I stopped by and ATM and low and behold the issues were resolved, I got the cash and got the necessary items to continue the day. I got to the lake and just before TS and ThisFool and was all setup when they arrived. The day wasn't going good for ThisFool either, he got a flat tire on the way into the lake so his car hobbled into the gate.

It was going to be one of those days...

After getting everything sorted, and ThisFool aggreeing to tag along with me for the day we got on the water on time with a rental (haven't used my new boat yet until I get the motor mount).

The sunrise was, as always, nice
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday007.jpg

Here's ThisFool dealing with a mini-attrocity that happened right as we were leaving the docks.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday008.jpg

Now tradition for team attrocity dictates that the first hookup must be a Crappie, this time however it was me hooking up on a CD-5 perch (somehow I knew that was gonna be a good one for Crappie).

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday009.jpg

After that, tradition dictates that we get a trout, however that was not to be, instead ThisFool hooks up on a Crappie which we must have dragged around the lake for a while. He got it on one of his custom lures.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday010.jpg

Not long after he hooks up on a trout, by 7:30 we had 3 fish on the boat, 2 Crappie and 1 trout. All in all, despite issues getting to the lake we were off to a good start.

We trolled our usual pattern for a while longer and hadn't caught anything, we tried different colors etc. and no bites. Then I get hit and think I've hooked something big. Unfortunately it was the tree branch that had been floating in the lake along out path combined with someone in a canoe going over our lines. This lead to the site of me trying to keep one line from getting caught in the motor while keeping the other pole on the boat, i looked crucified.

This was the culprit:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday011.jpg

Once that was sorted we figured we'd try to go through the flats. By this time I was running a CD5 rainbow and lo-and-behold I get another fish on, as I was reeling I saw it bouncing on the top of the water and figured I had another Crappie. But as it got closer to the boat I saw it and said "It's a bass" to which ThisFool said "Nah you can't catch bass". Sure enough once it was close it made a b-line for the bottom and after a few minute fight I landed him:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday012.jpg

By no means a hog, but a nice little bass.

We went back out to mid lake and came down the West shore when ThisFool suddenly gets hit and hit hard. He fought the fish and was almost within net range when it spit the lure. I saw the fish in the water and estimate it was pushing 8lbs. This, of course, led to much swearing on the part of ThisFool and I really felt for him after I missed that one big one last week.

So, our spirits low and our stomachs empty we headed into the tackle shop and cafe to get some food. On the way up we ran into Hitts and Omar and after a few minutes of talking got our food. I also purchased a pink SC Shiner and a Red and Gold SC shiner knowing that both had been hot.

After eating we headed back out. Here's a pic of Omar getting schooled by Hitts

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday013.jpg

(sorry for the quality).

We headed back out and we were determined to get more fish. We trolled up mid-lake and I had re-rigged with my new lures. We were on our path and things were going fine until a rental pontoon that someone added down-riggers to decided to cross 10 ft behind us even though we had the right of way and it was obvious we were trolling. The end result was my lines, again, being tangled in someone elses. We got it sorted but the guy on the pontoon cut my line and proceeded to drop my lure, which he had in his hand, in the lake (one of the new ones I had bought) he didn't even apologize, just a "oops dropped your lure". I know I shouldn't expect much but a sorry would of been nice, had it been me I would have even offered to replace it. But anyway we continued on. On another pass up through mid lake my other, new lure, gets caught on the bottom (we were too close to shore). I lost that one too. It just figured.

A few more passes and I switched back to the perch CD5 I had been using earlier in the day and did managed to get hit again, this time landing a nice 3lb trout scoring me a hat trick for the day both in number of fish and getting 3 different species. ThisFool also managed to get hit a couple more times (once even coming close to having his rod pulled out of the boat).

We finally pulled back in at the end of the day with 2 fish each. Not nearly as good as the week before but it was still a good day and, as always, fun to hang out with some of T-57 and fellow FNN people.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/Dreggas/0204/Saturday014.jpg

Thisfool
02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
nice wright up almost felt like i was there.

Josh
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM
nice wright up almost felt like i was there.

not sure we want to relive that day though ><

5150fishn
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Nice report Josh. I love reading about Team Atrocity's Vine battles. At least you and Thisfool beat the skunk out there. Too bad about the lures though.

Josh
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice report Josh. I love reading about Team Atrocity's Vine battles. At least you and Thisfool beat the skunk out there. Too bad about the lures though.

Thanks, it's kind of one of those "Despite adversity they persevered" situations. The lures I can replace pretty easily, it was just irritating to not even get an apology.

Thisfool
02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
i just really want to thank hits for coming through with the jack and tire iron and also the vine staff (sorry man i dint get your name) for putting a plug in the tire. just one more example of what makes the FNN such a great community and the vine they best place to fish.

Troutman65
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Nice going on the Crappie & trout . Thanks for the report

Josh
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
i just really want to thank hits for coming through with the jack and tire iron and also the vine staff (sorry man i dint get your name) for putting a plug in the tire. just one more example of what makes the FNN such a great community and the vine they best place to fish.

was wondering how you made out with the flat. Sorry I booked it but wife was getting a wee bit annoyed.

JAG107
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice report! Have you ever tried Xraps, or do you stick to CD's?

E.A.R.G.
02-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Good read Josh
thanks for the report!
Sucks to hear about the two lost lures and the D-bags who did it

I feel your pain though, lost a lucky craft 110 minnow last week. I cried a little.

Josh
02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice report! Have you ever tried Xraps, or do you stick to CD's?

Truth be told I am just getting back into fishing, used to fish a lot back east but only recently started again here. I've stuck with the CD's since they seem to do the trick but plan to build my arsenal over time.

Josh
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Good read Josh
thanks for the report!
Sucks to hear about the two lost lures and the D-bags who did it

I feel your pain though, lost a lucky craft 110 minnow last week. I cried a little.

Yeah, i expect to lose lures it happens, just would have been nice to get a bit more than "oops lost your lure".

TaperSteve
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Good to hangout with you guys again. 2 fish each if better then no fish each. Way to beat the skunk.

TS

Josh
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Good to hangout with you guys again. 2 fish each if better then no fish each. Way to beat the skunk.

TS
Was great seeing you as well and thanks again fro the trolling motor. Sometime we should all just get a pontoon and make a day of it.

100% aggree. Was nice getting the bass as well, I may have to do some serious bassing again, forgot how much fun they are to catch. Used to go all summer and catch them in the lakes I grew up near.