PDA

View Full Version : float tube rigging question???

matt duarte
08-01-2007, 09:25 AM
hey guys and gals, fellow float tubers I was just wondering on rigging float tubes I know about the pvc rod holders and stuff like that but has any one put mounts and holders for a secondary way scoot around the lake, like oar mounts? so when my legs get tired I could use the paddles to give my legs a rest like on a kickboat??? and what about live wells? I can just use those metal folding cage fish holders things instead of hanging them from a stringer? I wuld just have to put a foam tube around the top of the fish holder to make it float.

any pictures or advice would be really help full a mounted torlling motor would be sweet but I'm not sure if the tube would hold it? but ya any advice would be helpful I want to get this thing lookin sweet! o ya by the way its a fish cat 4

sonarbp
08-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey matt duarte,

I was just like you when I first got into tubin.....wanting all the Bells and Whistles for my tube!!!!....but in all honesty....ever hear of the KISS method? Keep It Simple Stupid!

That is what it stands for not a shot at you.....

Anyway....I have found all you really need is maybe two rodholders and that is it....anymore and they get in the way and you stand a good chance of losing gear!!!! :shock: trust me on that one!!!! Besides how many rods do you really need while tubin? You can really only use one at a time and trolling in a tube is pretty tuff!!!

Just keep it simple and you will be happy!!!

sonarbp

BBL2Baja
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you should have purchased a boat! :wink: :wink:

Check this link out:
http://www.allkayakfishing.com/float_tubing/rigged/

Also, click around the site a bit, it's got a TON of good info. You should find what you need there. In addition, [url=http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=262789;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC ;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unre ad:c9c16]THIS[/url:c9c16] link should give you some more info on designing PVC rod holders. I just kind of designed my own in my head and then applied it, THEN I found this. :roll: But, whatever works. :D

JMO, but I think oars would get in the way. Might work, might not. 8)

Keep It Simple Stupid!

In the Navy, it's "Keep It Simple Sailor!", but, boiling it down, I think the Navy was just looking for a synonym for "stupid". :wink: :wink:

Later,
Scott

tacklejunkie
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't have any trouble getting sore while kickin'. Maybe it's just my slow rate of paddling..

I did get one rod holder and a 1lb anchor though. Seems like the only things I needed. My smartcast fish finder broke though. I'm a little peaved about that.. :roll: It would be perfect to mount on the front crossbar on my tube since it is a watch style finder.

matt duarte
08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
lol ya I should proly keep it simple... I tend to go over thetop some times I have rod holders I made for my trip to perris but that damn pvc glue dires faster than I thought and its a little crooked lol. iim going to make new ones for this weekend just need to fit 3 poles and a net (i was thinking of making a mount for a wip flag, like dirt bikers use in glamis so I will be seen better)

the oars were just an idea I figued if a kickboat and run then why not a tube? I would just have velcrow straps to strap the oars to the side o the tube while their not being used. maybe I just got tired cause the fins I was using.... their were diver fins with a slit down the center, I found my self kicking more and harder to get around fast...
would it be better if I used fins that were kinda short finned with no slit? I proly should just fork over the cash for hotspots...

a trolling motor would of been the next idea :lol:

tacklejunkie
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
check out these fins..
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/Truth_Swim2.html
I Want to get those next. My outcast step-ins are cool because they allow my toes to be free like the force fin page says, which helps with your feet hurting. They have the force fins in black down at redlands sport challet for like $129.. made for float tubes.

The outcast ones were made for waders with boots on them though I think.
I put those wader booties over my waders and they fit the outcast fins fine. The booties over the waders is good anyways for walking around without fins on.

matt duarte
08-03-2007, 10:23 AM
ok so I've been toying around with some idea for a small trolling motor to ount to my tube like the yakers do, mainy just to get me out where I want to be (if its far like when I tubed perris) and to get me back to shore quicker, amd once I'm their I'd use the feet....

but I was thinking of pickin up this trolling motor at bps for 100bucks and you all know how in the back of the fish cat4 theirs a nice size taiangle hole where the point meets in the rear.. well I was thinking of making a mount out of pvc to hold a small piece of wood to clamp the motor to.... and the perpeller would fit thru the hole in the rear.. I think it would work but I don't know how much these motors weigh? I'd be able to face the motor perpeller so I'd be going backwards like your spose to on a tube or turn it so I'm going forwards.... and if it doesn't work the trolling motor can awalys go on our little boat we have..... I just figure if kickboats can do why not tubers? I know its pretty easy to get around in a tube but it does suck when your kickin to a spot and have to rig up a pole, with the small motor I could just ''kick it'' and rig... I just think the lil motors looks sweet and for 100 bucks why not.... its a win win situation right? either I works for the tube or it works for the boat...

go on you guys can laugh lol I've benn laughin as I'm writing this.... I'm just picturing myself with the motr on my tube cruising with a wake going behind me lol!

hey itd make troling in a tube easyer!!!

i know you said K.S.S method but im a complacated person lol :lol: and i think to much while im at work (nothing better to do!)

sonarbp
08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I was thinking of doing this with my old trolling motor when I first got into tubin. There are two major problems I can see by trying this.

First the shaft of the trolling motor is way to long and would be a good 2 feet or so below your tube making it hard to launch and it could get hung up on stuff in shallow water or submerged objects.

Second it is not the weight of the motor that is the problem it is the weight of the battery and how to mount the battery on the tube without getting it soaked!!!! water and batteries do not mix well especially with saltwater!!!!

another thing to think about is having to get a CF registration number. I am not sure but I think if you put any type of motor on it you will need one!!!!

Just keep it as simple as you can!!!!! That trolling motor would be good for your little boat though!!!!

sonarbp

matt duarte
08-03-2007, 10:54 AM
ah good thinking, I didn't think about the trolling motor sittin real low in the water. I know it would work well on the boat, that was my plan to fall back on.... someone needs to make a short shafted trolling motor and I'd be all over it! hey I can awalys cut and weld right :lol:

sonarbp
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
someone needs to make a short shafted trolling motor and I'd be all over it! hey I can awalys cut and weld right :lol:

Yeah just be very careful if you try it....the wiring is located in the shaft!!!!

sonarbp

matt duarte
08-03-2007, 11:19 AM
lol ya probley wouldnt be the smartest thing to do :lol: ill try to find one at a swap meet or a garage sale before i try to frankinstine a brand new one :lol: what type of batt. they run off of anyway? a normal car size one but for marine stuff? or are the a bit smaller?

ive been looking around for pictures of people mounting trolling motors on tubes but havent found one yet...their all the pontoon kind... but those things cost to much dang money for the basiclly the same thing

sonarbp
08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I have one I used when I rent boats and I use a 12V deep cycle marine battery but it weighs like 40lbs.

You might be able to use a smaller 12v sealed gel battery but it will not last to long!!!!

matt duarte
08-03-2007, 11:53 AM
40lbs! wow! i might end up sinkin rather than floating! :lol: i think ill save this idea for when i give my tube to my wife (when she gets over the fear of getting bit by a fish lol) and i graduate to a sweet kickboat thats when i add all the goodies

thanks for all the info on these motors and batt. i will have to lok and see whats out their...

well at least i know im not the only one thinking outside the kiss method. on this other side bass-n-tubes this guys was talkin about mounting a 7. something gas motor on his tube :roll: :lol: this guy wanted to fly not float or something! i dont know how he would do it but it would sure be funny to see him flyin by on a tube this a huge motor on the back :lol: :rofl:

sonarbp
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
well at least i know im not the only one thinking outside the kiss method.

Yeah I have a bunch of ideas but when it gets down to doing them it seems alot better to just keep it simple.

Big_Mike
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
so its like $100.00

http://www.powrtube.com/powrtub.htm[/i]

vanillagurilla
08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
you wont sink matt. be and sonar probly got you beat by 100lbs easy lol.

Big_Mike
08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
look for this for its on the last page it has ore holders and i also thought of a cheap way to make them work also i have not biult it yet but when i do i will send you a pic