PDA

View Full Version : Being stubborn finally pays off!

LeeRoy Jenkins!
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Went out last Sat. and earned another stripe (as in skunk) so I was gonna take this weekend off, but changed my mind late last nite and got the wife's blessing. Wanted to be home by 2, so that meant leaving around 5am to get in 4-5 hours of fishing. Woke up at 7am:EyePop: and figured what the heck, 2-3 hours of fishing is better than none, so off I go... Twenty minutes from the duct and they have the road closed, ok, 10 minute detour, no biggie. Finally get to a set of gates I got hit at last weekend, get out of the car, climb the bank, and find the gates wide open, water dirty, and the wind blowing a steady 15mph straight down the duct. Let out a huge sigh, and prepared myself to accept another stripe. Fished below the gates for 30 minutes then moved down to a bend to try and find some slack water and relief from the wind, second cast I get hung up and manage to bust the butt handle on my favorite rod! Lord have mercy, what else can go wrong??? No duct tape to okie rig it, so I messed around til I figured out another way of casting (awkard and very tiring, left arm is killing me now) Hit 2 more spots and then as I'm reeling in my KPN by a set of metal grates it stops, I'm thinkin "ok, if its hung up, I'm gonna cut the line and go home..." Then I feel the headshakes! WOOOHOO FISH ON! Played it for a few minutes with my broken rod, got it up to the side, and slid it up the concrete to the dirt as smoothly as I could. Fish hits the dirt, starts flopping, and comes unhooked! No way I'm losing this one, pounce on it, get my right hand under the gills and chuck it up on top of the bank, the skunk is OVER!:Big Grin: Can somebody help me put the pics up?

trail blazer
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
CONGRATS L,ROY!!!!

The 1st few duct stripers are like fine wine,,,,,,,,PRICELESS!

TRAIL BLAZER

LeeRoy Jenkins!
02-06-2011, 07:00 PM

wackyrigged
02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
HE11 ya!!!smaller model but Nice to stomp that skunk out huh.Those guys used to be in abundance a few years back IDK what happened but I have been assured bluestoning has nothing to do with it.Anyway I will be out there sometime this week trying my luck and I am gonna bring some shrimp from my freezer for the cats just in case.Great job! and thanks for the report.oh and your rod handle/butt looks fine in the picture.

LeeRoy Jenkins!
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM
You can see it better in the full size image, big crack about 3 inches below the reel, the cork and the rod blank cracked, it didnt break completely off, but it may as well have... Fish was 24" with a girth of 14", anybody got an estimate of the weight? I didnt have a scale to weigh it with, felt like 4 or 5 pounds to me.

koifish
02-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Congrat to you. Did u fish at AV?

LeeRoy Jenkins!
02-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Congrat to you. Did u fish at AV?

Thanks, no, I'm up north in Fresno County.

cutbait
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
JENKINS!!!

Nicely done for a GINGER!!!!!

Seems like you stumbled across the bite pattern... HMMMM,,, ask TB about his two fish last week and a couple similarities there!!!!

LeeRoy Jenkins!
02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
JENKINS!!!

Nicely done for a GINGER!!!!!

Seems like you stumbled across the bite pattern... HMMMM,,, ask TB about his two fish last week and a couple similarities there!!!!

LOL, slow and deep, dats da ticket up here...

cutbait
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
slow and deep,..

Thats the key to the Pumphouse spot here in Bako.

I plan on taking Bobarino to the spot this spring :Wink:

radray
02-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Way to go on the stripey. I am glad you beat the skunk. I am still trying to land my first stripey at the DUCT. Fishing the A/V and it has been tough. Gates wide open and water very murky. I seem to contribute lures every time I go, but will not give up. I feel the DUCT is testing me before it rewards me.

Good job on the fish again.

cutbait
02-07-2011, 05:59 AM
. Gates wide open and water very murky..

Wide open to say the least.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2011-02-02_07-29-50_788.jpg

Anglerism
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrats!!! :)

fishinone
02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Congrats on the skunk thumping.

I like those medium sized ones best for eating.

GREENSTINKYFEET
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
GREAT JOB! LEE, as far as i am concerned there are no easy duct stripers! Good Work!

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
way ta roll...slay them mothas ! : )

Congrats on the feesh : )

Gary