PDA

View Full Version : Corona – 2/5/11 – Uber WFO

JohnnyBoy
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Corona – 2/5/11 – Uber WFO

In German Uber mean super. That’s the only way I could describe the fishing today at Corona Lake. Ron and I had discussed fishing on Saturday and he pushed for Corona. I agreed and boy am I glad that I did. We arrived at the lake and were on the water fishing by 7:30 am. We headed for the backside of the lake and it didn’t take to long to start getting bit.

Ron got bit first and the competition was on with the friendly banter that was going on. The lake wasn’t very crowded early. Surprising for a Saturday and I had a limit of fish by 8:30 am. I know the lake isn’t C&R, but we both decided it was way too early to go in, so we just kept moving and kept lipping fish. We didn’t handle the fish and just cut the line letting the fish leave the net without being handled.

All I can say is that it just wasn’t us that were catching fish. Every boat and tube on the water were hooking up. We ran into cowboy and we just kept circling an area just getting bit, one right after the other. It was by far the best day this season I have had at Corona. I saw Keary and Patrick and every time I saw each of them they were putting the wood to fish. Awesome is all I can say. Then by about noonish, the pressure really picked up, but it didn’t seem to bother the fish, because everyone I saw were putting fish on the boat.

By about this time it was around noon, and I had gotten bit what seemed like I don’t know how many times but it would be fair to say If I had kept the fish, It would have been a quadruple limit day, and I wasn’t the only one. EVERYONE was catching fish on the backside of the lake. Can’t speak for the shoreline, but the tubers and boats just slayed the fish today.

What Worked? – Everything, I did real well on the orange worm with the white egg combo, I saw these kids in a boat wacky rigging it just putting one right after another on the boat, they were throwing yellow, as I asked what color they were throwing. I saw another boat throwing metal; they too were putting fish on the boat. Let me say this. If you couldn’t catch fish today, you should probably consider another hobby. There was even a Grandmother in the tube, rolling bait, came into our area, and she was putting fish after fish on the boat. I told her she was pretty hardy to kick out onto the lake at her age,
She told me that she had been fishing for years, and how much fun she was having today.

After we went in, we started to break down our gear and put away some cold ones and enjoyed what was just a beautiful day. It was crowded by then but I kept seeing everyone continue to catch fish. I guess it was just one of those special days.

Kudos, to the fishing lakes family, for always putting in quality fish into the lake. Keep up the good work. You made a lot of fisherman happy today. :LOL::Cool::EyePop::Razz::Envious:

E.A.R.G.
02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
wow!
sounds like an epic dayy!!
I wish corona weren't so far from me!
Soon, I hope, SARL will light up like Corona!

JohnnyBoy
02-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Yes, it was an awesome day. I spoke with one of the staff and they I asked if we would ever get to tube SARL. Sadly that's not going to happen, but he did say that they had metered the lake and that the fish were schooling about 15 feet out from the shore. Real close. That lake also had a large shad population that the trout key in on. Why eat dough bait when you can eat shad. Like why eat bread when you can have steak ? My point being using a crankbait, or, perhaps a minnow jig. You might find that you'll do real well when the bait soakers are not getting bit. I never see people troll SARL, but I bet they would do real good if they did.

Trout-Chaser
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that great tip, JohnnyBoy. I see photos on the SARL site that show folks loaded with trout; sadly that's not been my experience. I was wondering if there were some 'secrets' about how things worked there. If anyone else can share some SARL info with me (i.e. lake depth, structure locations, obstacles, that sort of thing) I'd be most appreciative. I can't get out that often so it's important to me to maximize my water time with good info.

TC

JohnnyBoy
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Trout Chaser, a couple of other things. You don't need to cast out far the lake is sloping just like the shorline and it get's deep real quick. In coold waters you don't need to fishing more than 10-12 ft of water just a few feet out. When the wind pick up, try a minijig underneath a bobber, the wind on the bobber gives it a dance in the water, alos, When using the micro trout worms, make sure you get ever so slow movement on the worm. See Sapdawgs post on using trout worms. You'll get bit.

TroutKings3
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the report! I was just thinking about getting up to Corona with the girlfriend and her friend who fishes it all the time, maybe I should go sooner rather than later!