PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Minnow in Imperial Valley

Fisher
02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello Everybody, I'm new....

Well, I wanted to ask who here has used the Banjo Minnow? I was wondering because it's the only thing I use...and have been using it since 1997...These past years I've caught some GOOD bass, catfish, Crappie, and trout.....I like fishing Sunbeam lake...and love to murder those crappie with them at the Sunbeam lagoon around the spawn. I've caught my biggest crappie with it...my biggest bass, and biggest trout on it. You have to learn how to use it first....it's not your typical lure. Be patient!

My biggest bass was this past April...it was about 7 pounds...but last year and the year before have given me some BIG fish....Good sized crappie and bass.

Wiest Lake is the place where I caught these nice Bass....Catfish don't seem to be to picky and have caught plenty of them with the Banjo.

Bluegill at Wiest Lake were hitting like crazy around November and December...even early January! I was using nightcrawlers and a 1/32 spinner and grub....even small gills bit!

The canals are amazing...and hold very big EVERYTHING....wanna catch some big gills....canals are the place to hit..Highline Canal is deadly on big Crappie, Cats, Bass, and Redears....It's all about the timing!:Wink:

Anthony I.
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey fisher, I am also new around these parts and I too use the Banjo Minnow... Although I haven't had anything near the success you've had... I have some luck with LMB... My question for you is... You mentioned you have caught trout on the BM... This is the first I've heard of trout being caught on the BM... So in specific, which BM were you using and what presentation were you using? I would appreciate the feed back... Thanx

kingfish2
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I have cought trout on the bm one time in bullhead on the colorado in dead heat of summer shocked me completly. I used the old scool gold and green glitter medium sized cant find em now. I just bought a new bm set but yet to test it out

Anthony I.
02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Cool... I'll have to give the BM a shot next trout trip.

Catsfordays
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Nothing like a good BM in the morning!

fishmounter
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Fisher- Where is this Highline Canal? In Southern California? I know there is one in Colorado, near Denver

Thisfool
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM
wow this dude loves his banjo minnow

yea i have a set of them to the display and video just lured me i couldn't help it i had to buy a set, but i have had zero luck with it. i played around with it in the shallows and ever little thing the video said about the action of the minnow is right it does really have and incredible action. but i just haven't been given any love by the fish.

Ifishtoolittle
02-05-2011, 01:10 AM

yea i have a set of them to the display and video just lured me i couldn't help it i had to buy a set, but i have had zero luck with it. i played around with it in the shallows and ever little thing the video said about the action of the minnow is right it does really have and incredible action. but i just haven't been given any love by the fish.

I'll tell you what they would be deadly Macs! :ROFL:

Thisfool
02-05-2011, 01:13 AM
I'll tell you what they would be deadly Macs! :ROFL:

lol ok maybe ill hit the pier and finally make them earn there keep. so far they have been a wast of money well lol ally my bass gear has been a wast of money so far i haven't intentionally ought a bass yet

Sublime-Steve
02-05-2011, 12:03 PM
check out the soft plastic magic swimmer by sebile.. i bet it has the same results

fullstringer
02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey fishmounter,the highline canal is out in the Imperial county area.Brawley,Calipatria,Niland.Look at the Colorado river reports for info on fishing this area,if you love flats then you gotta hit the friendly get together in the summer.

Joe

smokehound
02-06-2011, 02:07 PM
the only banjo product I ever had success with was the frog, a few years back, in the dead of summer, I was working their topwater, and got slammed by a nighttime bass.

Plus they have really WEIRD colors for those Banjos.. Colors that wouldnt even be useful!

Lightning
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the board!

Fisher
02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I caught the Rainbow trout at Sunbeam Lake here in the Imperial Valley with the pearl-colored 4-inch minnow with red eyes. It was a real good sized trout...and fought pretty hard, actually.

The Banjo Minnow has a lot of fans but then I hear that it's no good....I love these little guys! They're Great. The thing is that presentation is key...so if you just make it swim just like your typical twirl tail or swim minnows..it'll be just like any other lure....If the bass are slowly coming into the shallows to feed, I do a semi fast retrieve where I move the minnow quite a bit, but still rely on a lot of stop and go action. Usually on the stops I see my line tighten and that's when I know...I love the white/lighter colors as well as the chartreuse 4-inch minnows for bass....the crappie tend to prefer the 3-inch minnows...although crappie can be tricky with the Banjo...however, I've caught a hell of a lot of Crappie with it! Crappie...ahh, I would use an extra slow retrieve with quick jerks and a lot of falls.

The Canals are good for the Banjos, although I would use a weighted eye because of the current. The Highline, like somebody mentioned is in the Imperial Valley-east of San Diego...and the water is always clear, sandy, deep drops, and loaded with Hydrilla on the edges and into the deeper part of the canal for perfect fish cover(and big Bluegill!)

Give the Banjo another shot....I know it seems too good to be true, but hey, It's caught me more fish than any other swim bait, crank bait, worm, live minnow, buzz bait, spinner, jig...etc, etc!

Keep on Fishing!

stepchild
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM

yea i have a set of them to the display and video just lured me i couldn't help it i had to buy a set, but i have had zero luck with it. i played around with it in the shallows and ever little thing the video said about the action of the minnow is right it does really have and incredible action. but i just haven't been given any love by the fish.me tooo!!!!i watched the commercials and had to have it...lol