PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake: Monsters?

TerryCommon
02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Heading to Irvine because I heard some stories that there are large fish in there.
Does anyone have any crazii stories about the lake? What size do the catfish, sturgeon, and carp get over there?

Im heading there for an all day'er on Feb. 13th, I wanna be prepared for anything!:Surprised:

E.A.R.G.
02-03-2011, 08:58 AM
the trout get to 20 lbs!
The catfish near 100!!
The carp!. the carp? err...

The crappie get to 2 lbs!!!

TaperSteve
02-03-2011, 08:59 AM
You can check out their website for their lake records. I do know their lake record for a Blue Catfish is almost 90lbs and their lake record for a Channel Catfish is over 50lbs. I've also seen/heard of Sturgeon over 50lbs coming out of the Vine as well as Carp over 20lbs or more. There are also some monster pan fish swimming around in that lake also. A couple weeks ago I caught a 2lb Crappie and weighed it in at the same time as another guy was weighing in a 20+lb Trout. So theres def monster fish of all species swimming around in that lake.

GL out there and please report your results.

TS

fishindude420
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
carp defenitely get big in there! I caught this last fri on accident. That place is a big fish lake. I got a few pbs out of that lake and they were all different species

TaperSteve
02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
I know some do this :Rolls Eyes: at Carp, but I gotta say, WTG, nice f***ing fish 420!!!

TS

hooks
02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Heading to Irvine because I heard some stories that there are large fish in there.
Does anyone have any crazii stories about the lake? What size do the catfish, sturgeon, and carp get over there?

Im heading there for an all day'er on Feb. 13th, I wanna be prepared for anything!:Surprised:

2 weeks ago, I seen what I thought was a large tree floating down by the dam, until it submerged beneath the glassy water. Last year, I seen something in the same area, that looked really, really big also. I hear strugeon love trout fillets.
There are catfish well over the 100 pound mark. I seen a brown trout in the flats a few years ago that was pushing the 20 pound mark. I caught and released a wiper in Sierra cove that also was about 20 pounds. And there are tons of giant bass, carp, and slabber sunfish.
Someone recently reported seeing a large lizzard entering the water?
So, yes, there are many species of big fish swimming in the vine.
tight lines...

Marley
02-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Several years ago someone came up on a pet alligator (probably a caiman) that someone had released. Every now and then you hear of someone of talent hooking something on heavy tackle and getting freight trained, never even slowing down.
Enjoy the hunt...

TerryCommon
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I do a lot of carp fishing and Im not ashamed to say so. :Envious: Point being is that unless you're fishing Irvine, SARL, or any of the bigger lakes then you're not going to see heavy fish. I pull 20+ carp out of even the smallest lakes (Eldorado Park- All four lakes have 20+ lb carp). It is a challenge. But I fish for all species and Irvine's sturgeon record will fall on Feb. 13th. You can bet on that. If they're in there of some size, then shes coming up to pay a visit.

420- how do you catch carp on accident? LOL What were you using as bait?

I heard stories from divers servicing the dam at Irvine that they were brushed up against by something 'the size of a small bus' WTH?:EyePop:

dixoncider
02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOlJ4QVqIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqsYK9SxuA

fishindude420
02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I know some do this :Rolls Eyes: at Carp, but I gotta say, WTG, nice f***ing fish 420!!!

TS

Lol. thanks bro! i rolled my eyes when i saw it too! damn carp had me thinking i had a lake record trout on the end of my line for a while. lol. hope to see you out there again sometime!

fishindude420
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
lol i was using a inflated nightcrawler. it was the end of the day and just the right time for a big dd trout to bite. so when he hit i thought i was in DD trout heaven!LOL

Thisfool
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I do a lot of carp fishing and Im not ashamed to say so. :Envious: Point being is that unless you're fishing Irvine, SARL, or any of the bigger lakes then you're not going to see heavy fish. I pull 20+ carp out of even the smallest lakes (Eldorado Park- All four lakes have 20+ lb carp). It is a challenge. But I fish for all species and Irvine's sturgeon record will fall on Feb. 13th. You can bet on that. If they're in there of some size, then shes coming up to pay a visit.

420- how do you catch carp on accident? LOL What were you using as bait?

I heard stories from divers servicing the dam at Irvine that they were brushed up against by something 'the size of a small bus' WTH?:EyePop:

i know cat fishing is best at night is it the same with sturgeon.

in your other post you said ur going to do an all day'er but i think there only going to be open tell 4 or 5 until about April or May

luvdaoutdoors
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
You gotta love irvine and all the big fish sitings. The tales of alligators, giant lizards and all the monsters of the lake. I for one am envious such an event. I can only account for one monster of the lake being the 20ft trailer in woody's cove a couple months ago. :EyePop:

E.A.R.G.
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
lol i was using a inflated nightcrawler. it was the end of the day and just the right time for a big dd trout to bite. so when he hit i thought i was in DD trout heaven!LOL

haha aww man
heartbreaker

I was dropshotting a purple robo worm once in lake poway and hooked a BIG ONE. It went down and stayed down. heavy heavy with no real headshakes. Thought I had a HUGE bass. Turned out to be a big ol catfish!

Thisfool
02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
You gotta love irvine and all the big fish sitings. The tales of alligators, giant lizards and all the monsters of the lake. I for one am envious such an event. I can only account for one monster of the lake being the 20ft trailer in woody's cove a couple months ago. :EyePop:

acording to a staff member i was talking to last week it is still there.

Seņor.Chilax
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Cool! New structure in woody's cove, can't wait for the 19th. Haven't fished Irvine since Turkey Bowl, I'm way past due. Just don't let the lurkers know. :Secret:

TaperSteve
02-03-2011, 02:24 PM
acording to a staff member i was talking to last week it is still there.

If you mean the trailer you must be confused. I took pictures of it shortly after the big storms and it was only half submerged and if i'm remembering correctly VinePatrol told me he helped the day they took it out. Unless theres another trailer down there???

TS