View Full Version : Upper feb 2 Gound Hog Day

SDDave
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Checked the Castaic lake web page to see the lakes conditions
Wind was cranking a NNE 18 to gusts of 40
But very do able, small rollersrunner towards the dam
Didnt have to worry about the Champion getting bang up
By the dock, first time back to the upper after having another fuelline/
bulb that was only 3 months old take a crap on me a cause problem that were had to figure out until I came to starting from the beginning, the inner liner pulls out from the rubber and contricts fuel to the pump causing the boat to dye from fuel starvation.
Junk bass pro shop line and bulb, it was replaced with a mercury one.
Running strong now...,

Trout plant yesterday, and there they were stack up in between the rental dock and the cop dock, easy picking from in the boat, tied on a gold kastmaster, no love
Next gold and red phoebe and it was automatic but pretty close to it,made my limit and stop fishing for the trout,all the fish were thump on the head real will to make sure I had no swimmer and well be nice and cold for the cuttting at the good latter.
So now it was off to go find bigger model stripers
The wind wasn't all that bad my 20ft champion can handle most anything Castaic can throw at it.
Headed up the fish arm to first cove, started throwing the 12 " KPN at the cliffs starting at punker point, worked it all the was inside the cove, put down the swimbait rod and picked up my loomis spinnerbait rod and curado 7 and a custom painted atomic custom bait spinnerbait
Third cast in the very back I had a DD largemouth follow the bait back to the boat...,
Aghh I didn't have a dropdown rigg setup
So I left it for tomorrows recon session.
Took off, hit center point worked all angle no blow ups or follows,
Took off to the west ramp, and worked up to the can and the bouy line, wind was cranking really bouncing up and down, made twenty of fan casts in the zone and nothing,
I did see a osprey nail a trout in the shallows, pretty cool thing , then a coulpe of crows tried to steal it.
Headed back to the launch ramp , done
Talked to a shore fisherman and he said the there were two large striper carcases laying in the dirt that some guy left after fishing last night, I mean poaching...
It was good to run the champ again at the upper and get the problems worked out, I've been fishing the goon so much pulling some big weights out that hitting the upper hadn't really even mattered, it was nice TP get some fresh trout for the became out great, tomorrow back at the goon for some DD ....

cutbait
02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
How big of a carcass dave?

I may have to do some night fishin....:LOL:

Ray Lopez
02-03-2011, 09:11 PM
How big of a carcass dave?

I may have to do some night fishin....:LOL:

same here lol

SDDave
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
same here lol

Make sure to post a report, could be a expensive night, the sherrifs need some way to pay for all those survailence cameras they installed... Lol

stg68
02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Make sure to post a report, could be a expensive night, the sherrifs need some way to pay for all those survailence cameras they installed... Lol

Ha, Ha ! Ray, that it is for you. You should start fishing at our legal part of the lake....

:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin: