PDA

View Full Version : Lead core gear?

DHarris
02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I moved to LA a couple of years ago from the east coast. Slowly I've been getting some of my older gear out here and buying new stuff when I can afford to.

I think I'm pretty stocked up now for fishing these lakes, the only thing I don't have is a set up for lead core line.

I always rent a boat so unfortunately I don't have a cool fish finder. I typically run rapalas and cultivas and depending on which get hit try to adjust by using lure that go either deeper or shallower.

I know VERY LITTLE about the lead core fishing but it does seem like an awesome way to get my baits deeper. What weight/action rods are best for it and what are some recommended reels.

Thanks!

luvdaoutdoors
02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I would recomend sufix 12lb leadcore if you're going for trout. This is probably the thinnest leadcore in our local area. You could get about 7 colors on a shimano 400 size reel on at least a medium/ light action rod. Don't forget to ad mono for your leader. The company estimates your lure to dive 4 to 5 feet per color depending on boat speed and type of lure used. You just have to experiment to get a good estimate. You are on the right track, spring is coming and you're going to need the leadcore. Hope this helps.

DHarris
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Every bit of info helps! Thank you

dixoncider
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I grabbed and old penn 209 level wind I had.. spooled it up with leadcore last spring for DVL, put it on and old sabre 197-8L and it works fine..not the best but it works..google leadcore to mono connections for knots.