PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Trip July 21-28

Joshua
07-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Going to Alaska is always a crap shoot. The fish dont follow a calendar. But I nailed it this time. I forced our group to go up a week later this trip. We timed the sockeye run perfectly, maybe a few days early.
Arrive in Anchorage on Saturday and drove to Soldotna. Saw a brown bear, sow and 2 cubs in the Kenai river, just below Russian River on the drive into town. Very impressive (Heard rumors that the sow and cub were shot because of aggressive behavior, Hope rumors are wrong) Fished a little on Saturday night, got a few reds to wet the appetite,
Sunday: Halibut out of Deep Creek in Ninilchik. The launch the boats from the shore during high tides. Very different. Had a wide open bite on halibut in the 30# range (chickens)> Nothing over 100# on the boat. Released several fish.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/halibut.JPG

Tuesday: Was our off day. I talked everyone into trying the Russian river. This is a smaller river about the width of the Kern but not as deep. When the fish are in, you can see them,. But the fish werent in ( Would love to be there when the fish are there, There is one narrow main channel about 4 feet deep, the rest is a stone bottom river about 18" deep.
Tuesday:
Fly out for trout on Parchers Lake&#46; It is a small lake on an island in the cook inlet&#46; We were the only 2 boats on the lake, It rained the entire time (8 hours) After 2 hours the rain gear doesnt work and the boat begins to fill with water&#46; The fishing wasnt as good as we were told (75 fish days)&#46; I think I landed a dozen&#46; Threw rooster tails into lillies and trolled&#46; The fish are pretty but the rain spoiled it< We found some spawning sockeye (reds) in one section of the lake&#46; We got out of the boat to watch them&#46; We had a fresh trout lunch while standing in the water&#46; That was a first&#46; The float plane finally came back&#46; Sight for sore eyes&#46; I havent been that happy to stop fishing EVER&#46;

Wednesday&#58; Fished around camp for some reds&#46; Then headed into town for our King charter on the Kenai&#46; Lets just say it was a nice boat ride with minimal rain&#46; Some old dude on the boat landed a 60+ King&#46; I was happy for him and his 2 sons&#46; They were from CA also&#46; Fished around camp in the evening and nailed more reds&#46; The run was starting to make its way up river
Thursday&#58; Another King trip in the AM&#46; Another boat ride with the family&#46; Harrassed the guide, Robby&#46; We have seen this kid grow up over the years, Now he guides us and we give him a hard time&#46; Alot of laughs=, but not a bite&#46; Amazing what happens when the commercial guys have the nets out&#46; Fished in town at Swift water campground&#46; Got into a good number of fish&#46; THe limit was raised to 6 and I had 5 in a couple hours&#46;
Released several more so I could keep fishing&#46; I worked my way onto a sand bar in the main channel of the Kenai&#46; There was some slack water in an eddy&#46; The salmon were all around me&#46; They were rising and jumping&#46; This is what Alaska is all about&#46; It was awesome&#46; All these fish and I was having trouble hooking into them&#46; This is a life-long memory
Friday&#58; Final King trip in the AM&#58;
Bob Saxton was my guide&#46; Old dude that lives on the Kenai&#46; He landed my 55# 2 years ago&#46; I like Bob&#46; Had a nice drift&#46; Got a hard hit on the other side of the boat&#46; The fish crossed lines and got off, Bob estimated the fish at 65+&#46; Shooting the breeze and my pole gets tapped, Then ZZZZZZZZ, it is taking line&#46; I grab the rod and set the hook&#46; FISH ON!!!! Lines come in&#46; My cousin manages to tangle my line&#46; You stupid F-er&#46; The guide agreed&#46; ( I love my cousin, it was the fish and not him)&#46; Get the lines cleared and the net goes up to show we have a fish on&#46; This allows other boats to see that we have a fish on and have the right of way&#46; This fish ran up river, then down&#46; Drifted and motored about 1/2 mile before we got her to the boat&#46; She wouldnt give up&#46; I was worried about the line getting wrapped in the prop&#46; After 5 or 6 runs, I was getting worn out&#46; I wasnt prepared to quit, but the cramp in my forearm was telling me to stop&#46; Finally, got the fish to the net and the hook broke free from the leader&#46; WOW that was close&#46; Not a world record but a very nice 35# king&#46; These fish have some strength&#46; When you watch them in the water, they are barely trying to swim away&#46; Very slow and methodic&#46; If these fish were to swim hard and break water, they would snap lines and destroy tackle&#46; Gentle giants&#46; Made my trip&#46;
http&#58;//fishingnetwork&#46;net/images/tmp2/jimtomkng&#46;JPG

http&#58;//fishingnetwork&#46;net/images/tmp2/king07&#46;JPG

Fished around Swiftwater in the evening&#46; Went back to the sand bar with the rest of the boys&#46; They were excited to see all the fish rising and boiling&#46; Got a few more fish for the trip home&#46;

http&#58;//fishingnetwork&#46;net/images/tmp2/sockeyer&#46;JPG
Trip was fantastic, awesome time with the boys&#46; Rained more than I liked, but that is Alaska in the summer&#46;
Fly home into Long Beach&#46; The airlines have lost my fish boxes&#46; 2 boxes with 50 lbs of fish fillets per box&#46; I was told they went to Lubbock TX (LBB) not Long Beach(LGB)&#46; The story continues&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;

http&#58;//fishingnetwork&#46;net/images/tmp2/moose&#46;JPG

< &#58;lol&#58; &#58;wink&#58; &#58;cry&#58;

Baseballer44
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Sounds like fun&#46; I have always wanted to do some Alaskan fishing&#46; Good report&#46;

Wingnut
08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Simply awesome, thanks for sharing! &#58;wink&#58;

steve092
09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Nice Salmon&#46; What did you use?