PDA

View Full Version : Here we go ToaD Swimbait Bass

ToadsToadsOnly
02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
It’s been a while since I last posted a report. It also been a while since I have landed a swimbait fish. The last three weeks or so I decided to start catching some big swimbait again. Well this season it has been easier said than done. I put in countless hours chucking, chucking, and chucking away with the big baits. I even put in a couple 8 hour days chucking the big baits for just a couple thumps but no fish to commit. About a week and a half ago I stuck a nice solid fish on a Trout CZ swimbait was fighting the fish, had the big girl about half way in she starts pulling some drag I buttoned down to crank her in and keep her from jumping. This is where I messed up I forgot I hooked her on my 30 braid with 10lb leader instead of my 50 braid with 25 leader Dink…bye bye fish…. There goes my 100% hook to land ratio on swimbait fishing. The day after I come back for redemption I get slammed hard right off the bat the fish didn’t get hooked, after I wound down and missed the fish I was reeling the bait on the top and get blown up on again no hook up. I cast in the same area for a while and didn’t get the fish to go, what did I do? I knew the structure in the area is where the bass were ambushing the trout so I let the spot cool off for a while and wait for the evening grey light. Went back right before it got dark, third cast I get slammed HOOKUP!!!.... I had the fish half way in a jump and a head shake bye bye. HEARTBROKEN Dang! My hook to land ratio continues to drop.

Within the last week I continue to throw the big bait got numerous followers and some solid hits on the Hudd, BBZ, Trout CZ but the fish did not stick. I am starting to think dang, am I that rusty on swimbait fishing? I re rig all by baits re tie all my leaders sharpen all my hooks. Went out yesterday evening for a few hours I was throwing the Trout CZ Swimbait I was reeling my bait in a at slow steady retrieve I stop the bait and start shaking it on the bottom like a worm WHAMOO!!!!!........ Dang this fish hit like a freight train not to long after I have this beautiful Toad female landed. FINALLY!!

Here is a Video of the fish sorry its sideways thats the way my buddy recorded it. Click on photo to play;

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/th_VIDEO0019.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/?action=view&current=VIDEO0019.mp4)

Also here is a bonus Toad fish caught on an Ika the day prior at one of the other city parks.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0248.jpg

Sometimes you have to put in work to get a swimbait fish but when you hook up to that Toad its all worth it.

Toads Toads only

Go get em guys

Go Big or Go Home!

troutdog
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Living up to your screen name as usual....give it another try on the picture though, no can see! :LOL:

Hope you are well dude...

TD

E.A.R.G.
02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
way to go on the persistence! definite pay out! good job. but yea man, want to see the fishorn!

pasadenafishin
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Nice to see a report from you again! they are always awesome! You gave me some tips a while back and i've been chuckin, chuckin, chuckin those big baits, nothing landed yet, but SOON i can feel it!!

ToadsToadsOnly
02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Here you guys go had some technical difficulties with the video and the pic.

dfisher
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
awesome catch, that guy is beastly!

Ifishtoolittle
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Nice Bass!

wackyrigged
02-01-2011, 10:48 PM
What knid of rod and reel do you use for that?

ToadsToadsOnly
02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Living up to your screen name as usual....give it another try on the picture though, no can see! :LOL:

Hope you are well dude...

TD

Thanks Troutdog I been good we need to hit those batrays again. Hope all is well with you also.

Nice to see a report from you again! they are always awesome! You gave me some tips a while back and i've been chuckin, chuckin, chuckin those big baits, nothing landed yet, but SOON i can feel it!!

Your day will come and once you hook and land that first fish it will boost your confidence to throw the bait a little longer and harder. Remember this time of year you work your bait extremely slow almost as slow as a plastic worm. You will get that first swimbait fish keep at it.

What knid of rod and reel do you use for that?

The two setups I used for swimbait fishing is a 9' Shikari 908 and 909 with a curado 300DSV and a Abu Garcia Revo toro 50.

smooshsh
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
good stuff homeboy.

snakeplissken
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
that's a really good bass for echo park.i've seen them chasing trout over by bellevue ave (closest to the 101fwy.)i've always wondered what to use to catch one for years but i never wanted to use a swimbait or a trout plug for fear of hang ups.:High Five: great job!

Troutcz swimbait
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Nice,what color did you use ,purple vein or the pink vein?

pasadenafishin
02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Is there any place that still sells Trout Cz's I'm dying to get one.

Troutcz swimbait
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
pmed you pasadenafishin

ToadsToadsOnly
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice,what color did you use ,purple vein or the pink vein?

Neither it was an old one with a green vein it looked pretty ugly lol.

Is there any place that still sells Trout Cz's I'm dying to get one.
You could get them from the poster above.

tree
02-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I had a question about swimbaiting, specifically topwater (Lunker Punker): Can I throw these huge baits at city parks like Fairmount park and still expect to catch some fish? Esp. now that its cold and still considered winter.

CPT. Kirk
02-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice fish. I fish the city park lake a lot but I dont throw swim baits I amy have to change my thinking on that.

fishindude420
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Thats how you do it right there! Congrats on another toad swimbait bass man!

ToadsToadsOnly
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I had a question about swimbaiting, specifically topwater (Lunker Punker): Can I throw these huge baits at city parks like Fairmount park and still expect to catch some fish? Esp. now that its cold and still considered winter.
I have not thrown the lunker plunkers much in the city parks but have heard of guys getting them on the LP. I had a blow up on the 8'' BBz last week so I do not see why they would not hit the lunker this time of year. But based on my research the soft baits are the way to go in winter.

tree
02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
thanks for the reply. I'll go and get a troutcz or a huddleston to try out. why do the soft swimbaits work better in the winter than the hardbaits like BBZs? In essence, get a huddleston over a bbz?

ToadsToadsOnly
02-06-2011, 07:31 PM
thanks for the reply. I'll go and get a troutcz or a huddleston to try out. why do the soft swimbaits work better in the winter than the hardbaits like BBZs? In essence, get a huddleston over a bbz?
I typed something more elaborate but it got deleted dont feel like re typing so ill keep it simple. Hudd(buy rof5) over bbz, the bbz has hooks on the bottom so you will get it stuck on the bottom when you slow roll the bait on the bottom, softbait feels more natural and is easier to inhale and gives you extra time to hook the fish, make sure you use scent.

Vman
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
That fish was phat. Good to see you back. Got me motivated to invest in a few hudds. Let 's see some more phat toads in the coming months.

BassProfessor
02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
That is a toad, you certainly lived up to your name.

reelhustla
02-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Nice footage. The fish was cool too..Just kidding. That was a sick a..toad. Makes me wanna put in some 8 hr. days chucking

dday07
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
not to take away from the nice fish,it's not good to lie the fish on sand or dirt.

jerryG
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
not to take away from the nice fish,it's not good to lie the fish on sand or dirt.

I agree that it's not a good idea to lay a fish down in the dirt or dry sand but actually the fish is laid down on grass in the picture. I fish with Jonathan (ToadsToadsonly) and he is real careful with handling fish to insure a safe release.