PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Winter Classic Trout Derby - Starts TODAY!

Sierra_Smitty
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Forgive me for being a little out of the loop on this, but I just talked with my friends at the Bishop Chamber and found out that they got funding for the first annual Winter Classic Trout Derby and it starts today February 1st.

This is basically the same format as the Summer Classic derby we've had the past 4 years in the Bishop Creek Canyon during the month of June - but this derby focuses on the winter fisheries of Pleasant Valley Reservoir and the Lower Owens.

$5 gets you entered in the derby which qualifies you for a bunch of raffle stuff - which in the past has been tackle, restaurant gift certificates, clothes, gifts etc. etc. If you are pre-registered and are lucky enough to catch a tagged fish - take that tag to the Bishop Chamber of Commerce to get a cash prize worth between $30 and $300 bucks. Not too shabby huh?

Anyone who fished the area in the winter knows that fishing pressure is really quite light - so $2500 in cash prizes is pretty damn good.

Registration locations are as follows...
-Bishop Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau in Bishop (A-frame building right by Carls Jr.)
-Mac's Sporting Goods
-Culver's Sporting Goods
-High Sierra Market in Big Pine

I'm still waiting on the exact part of the Owens that will be stocked with tagged fish but with a registration location in Big Pine it's obviously at least that far south....will update this post as soon as I know for sure.

Anyhow - here is a link to the Bishop Visitor's Bureau page about it..
http://www.bishopvisitor.com/fcr/report.php3

and a link to the registration application.
http://www.bishopvisitor.com/events/documents/WinterClassicRegistrationForm.pdf

Good luck everybody!
Smitty

Viejo
02-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info. By the way, I want to share how much I have enjoyed your book. It's easy to read for an old man....the subject is right on the money for me and it gets me stoked for the summer fishing in the Sierra's. Last year I walked in to four of the locations that I had never seen before and had a wonderful time fishing. Do you have a sequel in the works?

Sierra_Smitty
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info. By the way, I want to share how much I have enjoyed your book. It's easy to read for an old man....the subject is right on the money for me and it gets me stoked for the summer fishing in the Sierra's. Last year I walked in to four of the locations that I had never seen before and had a wonderful time fishing. Do you have a sequel in the works?

Thanks - I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

As a matter of fact, I just started outlining a sequel today..longer hikes, bigger fish, more goldens. I also have a third, fly fishing book with a similar theme in the works too. The tough part is getting enough time to properly research the locations now that I run a summer resort up there...its a curse and a blessing at the same time hahaha. If I'm lucky, I'll get enough time this summer to finish the sequel and maybe have it in print by summer 2012.

Piss on Myspace
02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
yup, good luck to you to mang...was up there from jan 27-feb 5, but no dice on a tagged fish...i did see 2 of them pulled at pvr tho...and like viejo said, i also enjoyed your book...followed your advice and got on some goldies last year!