PDA

View Full Version : A Spontaneous trip with Dear Old Dad and Dear Old Dad-In-Law

Danny Klein
01-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Riddle me this Batman! How do three married men spontaneously abandon their respective wives to go on a unplanned fishing trip on a moments notice and not only stay out of the doghouse but ingratiate themselves to those abandoned wives?

Simple-Start with a dozen long stemmed red roses for each wife followed by an explanation that they will be spending the next day at an upscale spa for massages,facials,manicures,pedicures and whatever else they want. Plus the idea that they wont have to spend the next two nights sharing a bed with their snoring smelly husbands.

So how did they react you ask? With the statement " Maybe we want to go fishing too." Thankfully they were bluffing but simply needed the last word on the matter.

And that is how I managed to take my two dear old dads on an unplanned fishing trip to the Lower Owens River. We fished on Thursday and Friday finding excellent conditions and pretty good fishing.

I spent much of the time catering to them as they are a combined 165 years old with over 100 years of fly fishing experience. What a privilege it was watching these old coots masterfully pick and present flies to eager rainbow and brown trout. What fun it was watching them compete with each other and tease each other when one or the other managed to pull a barbless hook from the lips of a leaping trout.

The highlight of the two days was on Friday afternoon when my dad enticed a very large rainbow trout to slam his streamer. He fought that fish for a good 10 minutes before coaxing it to my net. It measured 26 inches and had vivid colors;a beautiful hen. After we released it to fight another day my dad looked at me and told me what a perfect moment it was and that he loved me. I got all choked up and took off upstream to make some casts of my own. I didn't want either dad to see the tears welling up in my eyes.Jeez, I'm getting choked up just sitting here and typing this.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to make this personal or mushy:back to the fishing. It's happening folks. I don't know how long this weather will hold out as it's the middle of winter but if you have any chance to get up to Bishop or Mammoth I suggest you do it. The Owens is in excellent shape with a very healthy population of trout. And they are not being too shy right now. The fishing was more productive than what I experienced on the East Walker or Hot Creek,though the average fish was smaller.

When we got home we found our wives to be happy and pampered and insisting they will join us on the next fishing trip.

Life is good!

Danny

netdawg
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Gotta tell ya man, that's what having fishing as a family passtime is all about!!! Great story and thanks for sharing the story.

gogreeenz4
01-30-2011, 06:01 PM
really goood too hear my friend that you got some fish up there and a good time while you were after um

troutdog
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Fantastic report and story Danny, thanks for sharing...

TD

BIGBASS MB
02-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing... Sounds like a very fun trip, i like to go up there with my dad and brother couple of times a year ,nothing like fishing with dad... To see him fishing and having fun is the best.
Mb

Fresh H2O Bill
02-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks Danny for the great report and the sharing of that personal moment with your Pops, one that you both will always remember. My 24 year old son and I trout fish together and I well up just having him there with me, him wanting to spend time with me. It's a great blessing.

Bill

Wingnut
02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Life IS good! :Big Grin: Keep making great memories. :Cool:

Bobber Boy
02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Excellent report Danny! Thanks for sharing!

Mike274
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Danny,

Just the things dreams are made of! Conrats, and if I ever even remotely experience anything like this I will be truly truly blessed, as you were!

Mike