PDA

View Full Version : Whats the result of tubing solo @ ultra low tide @ NPH 1/27 ???

Phanatic
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Actually, not a bad day today. I had the day off so I decided to tube. Took it solo.

Woke up late. Looked at the tide chart understood I was coming at 12pm which was at the lowest tide point on the chart today. Was expecting a lot fewer catches. However this was not the case.

Launched off lido island. It was 12pm. Water was calm as calm can be. It was too shallow to work the docks so my plan was to make sure my lure was at least 5-15 feet away from the end of the docks in the deeper part of the water. Great idea.

1 fish after another every 5-10 minutes. Consistent, consistent bites. By 1pm, the wind was too strong for me to keep in one place so I decided to drift the last hour with still competitive numbers as the first. If I had stayed longer they would probably be biting for hours more. So I left satisfied by 2pm. Good day.

15-20 fish within two hours.

Wish I took pics for you guys but I just couldn't risk holding my rod, the fish, and my iPhone all at once. Anyone wanna come next time and take the pics for me? :Big Grin: jk... hehe but seriously let me know if any of you guys are down to fish. I'm always looking forward to meeting new people who have the same passion as I do. PM me before you go. I'll come too. :Cool:

Lures used? 1/4 oz 3 inch Big Hammer in colors Spottie Special and silver phantom with pro cure as always.

Have a great week.

lagunaCOCONUT
01-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Great report! I sure miss tubing NPH! Glad to hear you did well! Thanks for sharing!

LC

bones
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a real nice lunchtime fishfest!
I'm too damn lazy to put my tube on the water for two hours and then have to do all of the cleanup!
Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing your techinques!

CPT. Kirk
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Great report. I will be glad to tube NPH with you i'm new to the harbor I just started tubing it last summer.

Phanatic
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a real nice lunchtime fishfest!
I'm too damn lazy to put my tube on the water for two hours and then have to do all of the cleanup!
Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing your techinques!
Shoot, I'll do it for you if you want. lol. We can haul it in the back of my truck bed. If that means making a new friend, I wouldn't mind. :Smile:

Great report! I sure miss tubing NPH! Glad to hear you did well! Thanks for sharing!
LC
Thanks. How come you don't tube anymore?

Great report. I will be glad to tube NPH with you i'm new to the harbor I just started tubing it last summer.
Awesome. Let's do it!

Trout Doctor
01-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I've never been tubing before, but in a drunken ebay moment I bought one of these on the cheap like two days ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Creek-Company-ODC-Float-Tube/dp/B001KHQVV4

So if I don't get some use out of it the wife'll kill me! It'd be great to head out with someone who knew what they were doing so I don't, you know, drift out into the ocean and die... Might PM you once I get some waders and fins!

DockRat
01-28-2011, 06:30 AM
WTG on your spotted fever.
More proof that low and slack tide don't mean squat for you guys that fish the tide swings.

Thursday Jan 27, 2011
3:12 AM High 5.1
11:07 AM Low 0.4
5:33 PM High 2.9
9:42 PM Low 2.3

My best Bonito bite was sat pm at dusk, slack tide, minus low.
Saturday Jan 22, 2011
5:19 PM Low -0.5 fished 5 to 6 pm WFO
DR

lagunaCOCONUT
01-28-2011, 07:08 AM
How come you don't tube anymore?

My career went full speed ahead and I pretty much had to back seat fishing for a while. I am looking at more me time for the future now. If you ever want a tubin partner, let me know. I use to slam NPH all the time solo. I sure do miss those days! I'd love to start tubin again!

LC

Phanatic
01-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I've never been tubing before, but in a drunken ebay moment I bought one of these on the cheap like two days ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Creek-Company-ODC-Float-Tube/dp/B001KHQVV4

So if I don't get some use out of it the wife'll kill me! It'd be great to head out with someone who knew what they were doing so I don't, you know, drift out into the ocean and die... Might PM you once I get some waders and fins!
That tube isn't so bad. I would have gotten it if I was on a budget as well. As long as you pick the day and the time of the day right you should be good to go. A life vest and a whistle is required. A Gps will be very helpful as well.

WTG on your spotted fever.
More proof that low and slack tide don't mean squat for you guys that fish the tide swings.

Thursday Jan 27, 2011
3:12 AM High 5.1
11:07 AM Low 0.4
5:33 PM High 2.9
9:42 PM Low 2.3

My best Bonito bite was sat pm at dusk, slack tide, minus low.
Saturday Jan 22, 2011
5:19 PM Low -0.5 fished 5 to 6 pm WFO
DR
Yeah it doesn't mean squat! I've always wondered if I was the only person who would on rare occasions be catching fish from left to right on low tide. I would tell my friends and they'd look at me like I was on drugs. Good to hear you have experienced it too. I might need you to back me up next time. :Big Grin:

My career went full speed ahead and I pretty much had to back seat fishing for a while. I am looking at more me time for the future now. If you ever want a tubin partner, let me know. I use to slam NPH all the time solo. I sure do miss those days! I'd love to start tubin again!
LC
I understand. Career is something we don't have control sometimes when it comes to the available free time we have. Maybe we can do something in the near future. When you have an open slot sometime let me know.

salmotrutta
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Nice
I love it when it goes WFO
Keep ur rod tip up
Salmo

JapanRon
01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi Phnatic,

Great job gettin' out on the low. I prefer the highs too for some reason !! Just goes to show ......

thanks,

JapanRon

smokehound
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I usually see better action during an outgoing low, myself.. I dislike going during a high tide, by the time i get to the water, it's slack.. For bass it doesnt really matter, much...

BIGBASS MB
01-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey guys, I'm sitting here and reading about the tide change and the effect's it has on fishing... I'm planing on going to the surf monday am, It's suppose to be high tide around 7:00 am and thats when I'll be there...
I'll post the report when I get back...
MB

murrieta angler
01-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey Phan,
Thanks for the report.
Robert
<><

FYI, I fish ALL tides.

Fire Ball
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice slayage! A week ago I got a spotty that was 2.5 to 3 lbs when the tide was pretty low. If you are going to hit NPH this weekend, let me know. I went solo on Sunday, but its always better going with someone else, haha.

Jaysuuun
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
WTG! I miss NPH. I'm about due for a visit. I've killed it on a few minus tide days, but for the most part I do best when the tide is moving.