PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-Finger Bank-Too Much Wind!

Tunaslam
01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Fishing Wednesday, 1-26-11, with Captain Majid, on his 20’ Skipjack. I met Majid at Shelter Island at 6am. Previously I had fished with Majid on Dave Robinson’s boat at San Clemente Island. We cleared the Point by 6:40 am, heading south to the Finger Bank, in beautiful conditions. Passed the Sport Boat, Indian on the way down, about 4 miles north of our numbers. Began to fish at 8:20 am, some 37 miles from the Point. The depths we started fishing in were between 275 to 300 feet of water.

The meter looked promising, and I dropped down with my standard outfit, of a Jax Jig and a Shrimp Fly. Majid was using a double dropper loop setup, with 8oz of weight. I was bit almost right away, however, it was little, and quickly became Lingcod Bait (I hoped). Majid also brought up a small Starry. On my next drop it was a bit bigger Starry, and qualified for the time being, as our first keeper! We made a short move and re-setup.

This time I hit bottom, reeled in my slack, re-dropped, took five cranks and got slammed! A real good headshake transpired, and the fish was fussy all the way up. Yep a real nice Vermillion Rockfish, about 3.5 pounds. Majid was also bit and pulled in a small Starry and keeper Bank Perch.

Here I am with a nice Red.

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_126911276.jpg

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/2/103504100_126811275-med.jpg

We scratched up a few more keeper Starries, and one Green Stripe Rockfish. All of a sudden the wind started howling, the seas churned, and we were surrounded by whitecaps! It was only 10am, yikes! The forecast called for afternoon breezes from 8 to 12 knots. It was already over 15 and increasing. We stuck it out for another hour, going to 2 pound weights and still couldn’t hold bottom, nor catch many fish!

I thought perhaps a run into Descanzo Bay might help us find less wind? So we set a course for that area some 7 miles away. It was directly uphill, right into it, spray coming over the bow and both of us getting premature showers! After five miles, it looked hopeless, and we pointed her home to Point Loma. As soon as we passed Descanzo Point, the winds calmed, and made the ride north far more pleasant. When we hit the Tijuana Flats the winds increased again, but only a bit over ten knots. We were in the harbor and 2pm, disappointed that such a great beginning disintegrated in a very short time.

At least Majid went home with some great fish taco meat, one Red, 7 Starries, a Green Stripe, and a Bank Perch. I didn’t need any fresh fish this week.

Majid, what a beautiful start to the day, then Mother Wind spoiled the trip. Thanks for the invite, let’s do it again soon!

Hook up!
Cory

JapanRon
01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Made quite a run to get to primo territory ..... really unfortunate that mother nature had other ideas. Nice looking Red and you're very kind to pay deference to your host and hand over your fishys !!

Well ...... being the pro you are ....... you had a very good plan B but ........ let's face it .... further fishing was just not meant to be ! Besides, a couple of hours out on a 20' boat with escalation very possible ..... I'd rather see you safe and sound than a bunch of grip n' grins !!

Better luck on the weather next time,

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey there Cory - nicely done. Sorry to hear about the wind. If i had a choice between wind and rain... i'd choose rain any day of the week. Wind sucks.

Question: which jax jigs work best for you down south? Orange/Copper? White/Red? Black?

How many inches above the jig are you putting the shrimp fly and are you putting a strip of squid on it?

Thanks - kk

DockRat
01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Too bad on the wind Cory. Tnx for the report.
DR