PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into it

Frequent Flyer
01-27-2011, 08:54 AM
im usually a freshwater fisherman but its gettin old so im lookin toward the sea. any ideas on wer to starrt?

xjdesertfox
01-27-2011, 09:01 AM
the surf and harbors have such a diverse group of fish that youll never get tired of it.

From the surf you could fish for:
Halibut
Perch
WSB(if youre lucky)
Calicos(depending on area)
Sting Rays
Bat Rays
Leopard sharks
Corbina
and more

In the harbors you can find:
Spotted Bay Bass
Calico Bass
Sand Bass
WSB(babies and very rarely)
Perch
Ray's
Yellowfin croaker
Sargo
and more

Just please remember, legal size for a CA halibut is 22 inches, it takes 5-7 years for them to grow to this size, please release all fish undersized. Same goes with Salt bass, they grow slow and bass in the harbors need to be released to sustain the population. Please excercise CPR.

Frequent Flyer
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
oh yea releasing is no problem thats wat i usually do anyway with the freshies. so if i fish the harbors should i get a float tube and wat gear wld b light (rod and reel) for these fish cuz im more of a feel the fight and release kinda guy

City Dad
01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
One thing you'll notice - if you are a C&R guy - is the absolute rape of the resource that goes on in SO Cal inshore salt water. It's all about fillin' buckets:Angry:

I understand that fish a good to eat, but there is A LOT of gluttony out there - especially around spawning seasons... Seems like hardly any fishermen these days ever took seventh grade biology.

I'll get off my soap box now... but just add, if you do go salt, you'll be a salty first and a freshie when the tides are crappy for the rest of your life.

DockRat
01-28-2011, 05:46 AM
any ideas on wer to start?

I would start at the shore where the ocean meets land.:ROFL:

Jump on a 1/2 day with Japan Ron or Jackpot Jimmy for free fishing instructors :Razz:
I get bored with freshwater, in the salt you can mix it up, catch Perch on 4 lb or Sharks on heavy gear. Once you get your *** kicked with Yellowtail, Tuna, Sea Bass then you know your swinging the bat in the majors.
DR

n1ckxlam
02-02-2011, 07:53 PM
im usually a freshwater fisherman but its gettin old so im lookin toward the sea. any ideas on wer to starrt?

fish the same as you would for freshwater bass going after shad, and youll have luck with saltwater inshore. drive and explore some spots, most all teh coast will yield fish. c&r please