PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dabs

MR. J
01-27-2011, 01:38 AM
It's been a while since I've been on this board and also it's been a while since I've done some fishing. I only did a total of 2 trips in 2010. I've been busy with school and got promoted at work so I just didn't have the time to go a long with a girlfriend and lots of family functions. I plan on getting out this year and making my first trip a Sand Dab trip. I understand there's only one boat that targets that and there is an article that gives tips. However my question is more tackle specific then anything. I am only equipped with an Avet MXJ 5.8 with a Calstar 800M, Torium 20 with a 90J, Torium 14 with a Teramar 80MH, an Avet JX 6.0 with a Calstar 900M, and numerous inshore bass setups that I know for sure would not work out. Are any of the four aforementioned setups ok? I just don't want to be beat up reeling in from deep. I also have couple jigmasters not currently paired up with anything. If anything I could buy a cheap shorter heavy rod at work. Any suggestions for this trip? Also, I heard I could probably add a power handle to my jigmasters? Any suggestions on where to get a power handle in the South Bay/Long Beach area?

Ifishtoolittle
01-27-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm feeling too lazy too look up the line cap on all the reels you mentioned, but to be honest I think that as long as you have a reel in either 3:1 or 4:1 you should bee good. Have 300yds of spectra 65lb I guess being the standard and pair it up with a rod rated 20-60lb. To be honest though I wouldn't even fish a heavy set-up like that. People who go for dabs are just greedy pssh 10+ hooks on their gangion with a lb to 2lbs of weight! Personally I think 4 hooks and a 16oz sinker is plenty, even lighter wouldn't be a big deal. Oh also keep in mind that the boat may fish in water as deep as 300ft, but I'm not sure if that is the preferred depth for dabs. One can get in on solid action in much shallower water and when that happens you have a shot at Sculpin and Sandbass too. Best of luck to you and hopefully someone will give a better answer than my half-assed one.

DockRat
01-27-2011, 05:24 AM
I get them on a Jigmaster narrow with 20 lb mono. Go off Pt Fermin 175' line up the green cranes at Evergreen with the middle of the Vincent Thomas bridge. A big hook Sabiki set up with a 4 to 6 oz torpedo. Get them on a 50 lb set up too. I go light, no power handle needed. 4 - 6 hooks works.

I wouldn't spend much $ on special gear they are hit anything. The drift/current determines the amount of weight needed. I think the 22nd St boats go deeper out by the rigs = more weight needed.
DR

MR. J
01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I'll probably end up just taking my jigmaster out there since it has the lowest gear ratio of any of the reels I own. I'll also just probably grab some sabiki rigs too since I'm not going to feel like dealing with 10 fish on one line and the possibility of tangles. I want some fish but not 800 to myself.

DockRat
01-28-2011, 05:28 AM
They sell those Sand Dabs Gangions at 22nd st landing. The only reason I use big sabiki rigs cut down to
4 hooks is because I bought several packs at Alpine Village swapmeet for a dollar a pack.
Tried them and they worked. DR