PDA

View Full Version : East Fork San Gabriel River

gavin310
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I may be going backpacking along the East Fork San Gabriel River. I'm going to bring my pack rod, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of fish are in there, how fishing is right now, where to fish, etc.? I'm pretty sure there's catfish in there right? Are they OK to eat? Any luck this time of year?

Thanks for any info...

bruce watson
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Check your regs before fishing there. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been cats in the east fork. As for trout, they use to be planted by DFG every other week. However, a lawsuit was filed against them, a few years back, about the planted trout eating some kind of frog and so now it is not planted. I believe the fish that are in there right now are very rarely seen natives and might be protected. Protect your butt, check the regulations.

gavin310
01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey Bruce, I must be thinking of a different river for the catfish. I saw a report on here before, but ya, probably a different river. Thanks for the info. Sucks about the lawsuit and I'm sure the frogs will soon overrun the river. I'll look into the regs.

blackberg
02-02-2011, 12:16 AM
hey gman,

the santa ana river has received some recent trout plants (last 100 days), that may the one you where thinking of?

East fork has not gotten a plant since 2008 I think

-bb

Viejo
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
If you are looking to catch catfish on bait....you'd best just stay out of the local mountains. They don't exist on local creeks. Besides....it was 9 degrees this morning.

SpinnerBaitKing
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
hey Gavin,
I grew up at the river and can tell you this, if you are headed up towards a "bridge to nowhere", bring a fly rod or a small rod with a crappie jig tipped with a 2 foot leader with a nymph on. You will kill it. There are tons of native trout up there the farther you hike up. If you can get to the bridge first, about 9 miles up and fish the rest of the way down, you'll kill it. The gorge is gorgeous up there. You might even see a black bear or rams. Have fun! PS no need for stock trout up there.

Ifishtoolittle
02-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Where would one see Black Bears and other predators that could kill a man? I've heard from my uncle that there are Black Bears in the SG mountains, but I thought he was just BSing me. Just asking so that if I should ever go up to the mountains I'll know what to bring or avoid. Thanks.

gavin310
02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm actually hiking the East Fork. The "bridge to nowhere" like SpinnerBaitKing was talking about. Sounds like it's only wild trout out there and you gotta hike a bit further.

hey gman,

the santa ana river has received some recent trout plants (last 100 days), that may the one you where thinking of?

East fork has not gotten a plant since 2008 I think

-bb

gavin310
02-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks for that info. Good stuff.

hey Gavin,
I grew up at the river and can tell you this, if you are headed up towards a "bridge to nowhere", bring a fly rod or a small rod with a crappie jig tipped with a 2 foot leader with a nymph on. You will kill it. There are tons of native trout up there the farther you hike up. If you can get to the bridge first, about 9 miles up and fish the rest of the way down, you'll kill it. The gorge is gorgeous up there. You might even see a black bear or rams. Have fun! PS no need for stock trout up there.

bowler
02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
be careful a lot of car get there window broken up there. The west fork has a better wild trout area to fish. You have to go in to the second bridge to get to that area.

Socalcreeker
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
i like the east fork better than the west fork. i do pretty good on trout magnets or cut down trout worms. lots of little 6 inchers up the east fork. i wouldnt worry about your car gettin broke into not to much of that going on up there.

JusStartnOut
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
West Fork would be a better bet like bowler said. But watch for the barbless hooks and artificial bait signs.

Socalcreeker
02-05-2011, 01:43 AM
ya the west fork becomes barbless after the 1st mile.

hnscaddis
02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I ran into a black bear fishing Big Rock Creek, just the next drainage north of the east fork of the SG. He was more scard of me than I was of him.