PDA

View Full Version : San gabriel mtns trout

VIVID_FLY
01-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Headed up to the local mountains again on a very windy morning. Hit the stream with Robert and in about an hour I had my first hook up on a dry WULFF pattern #12 hook. About an hour later got Robert on a small fish i saw rising. Few attempts in the windy conditions HOOOOOK UPPPPP . As promised by me I got him on and cleanly released trout.

We stayed fishing all the way down stream as far as we could walk with no more fish in sight. Walked back up to the starting point and fish a few more pools and currents and Robert had a another Micro trout ....

All in all a good day ... clean air and crystal clear waters flowing very quickly ..

No Pics of Fish but some cool shots of the Jedi Master at work .... just check out the colors of those deep pools

ALL FISH CAUGHT AND RELEASED

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/IMAGE_242.jpg
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/IMAGE_241.jpg
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/IMAGE_243.jpg

Viejo
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Good for you....it's nice to see the locals flowing clear and strong. A commentary on the times is the graffiti on the rock in the first picture. Never understood the mentality of having to mark a rock in a wild area with spray paint. Do the taggers they really think people walk up to that beautiful stream and see their markings and are impressed or that this hole belongs to the (name your gang or group)?

old pudd fisher
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the report VIVID-FLY,I guess thats why I didn't see you at the Pudd today. That looks like the west fork to me and is one of my favorites. I also agree with " Viejo" about the rock taggers, but if you walk up a few miles it gets just beautiful with lots of native trout and the taggers are to stoned to walk that far to add thier markings.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
i dont fish on wed ,with the my normal weekday boys vivid and robert.i have a passion for golf, once a week.even thou i suck at golf.i almost called to show up at the spot ,they fished ,but decided to play my usaul crappy game today.i should have gone on the hunt ,with the boys,instead.im glad they caught something up there.....

teejay
01-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Really enjoyed the report. I'm curious about the rod and reel setup that you’re using. I’ve been looking around for an outfit for smaller streams.

VIVID_FLY
01-27-2011, 05:47 AM
I use TFO 6' 2piece 2 wt .. with a 3/4 reel I have 3wt line and I make my own twisted Leaders with 2lb Izorline mono .. about .21 cost per leader ...then i tie on with loop to loop connection 7x or 6x leader.

ROD $90.00
REEL $40.00
3 Wt Line $30.00
7' Leader $.21

catching BASS, REDEAR, CRAPPIE, BLUEGILL, and of course TROUT PRICELESSSSSSSSS

Darius
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Really nice to see this also! One thing Fck taggers! Those fools are below the human species in society. You should see what they did to San gabriel's creek right pass the off road entrance. Disgusting, but above all glad you caught fish. Is this creek by the bridge to no where?

teejay
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks Fly, I'll have to check out the TFO. I was also considering the new 5' 9", 3W, Streamlight outfit from LL Bean. Price is around the same as the TFO –sans custom leader of course. Decisions,deciscions.

gavin310
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the report. It's beautiful out there (with the exception of the spray painted rocks...) I was thinking of backpacking around in this area. I like to keep a trout or two to fry up when I'm backpacking. In this area is catch and release pretty important, or can the system sustain a couple missing trout?

Darius
01-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Most of these trouts are the only wild trouts left! I remember back seeing a sign they highly recommend catching and release! Also only bar bless and artificial lures!