PDA

View Full Version : Question About new boat

youngun
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey guys. I just bought a new boat of an old family friend, but the trailer doesn't have a license plate, and he had no paperwork. THe last year it was registered was 2009, so I have to register the boat itself as well. Does anyone have any insight as to how I can go about (1) getting a new license plate for the trailer and (2) registering the boat without any paperwork.

On a positive note, the boat is a bass fishing machine. Its an old 1980's Kingfisher bass boat, that had everything ripped out, with two brand new carpeted decks taking up most of the boat. It has a 10hp honda four stroke on the back with a 70 lb thrust foot-controlled minn-kota up front. This thing can move in 1-2 feet of water. I am obviously anxiously awaiting the time when I can get this bad boy out on the water.

Oh yeah, and from the above info., does it sound to you guys like it meets the requirements to be launched at DV and Skinner? I believe it does, based on the 4-stroke, but some reaffirmation would be nice.

Let me know if you guys have any pointers, or have experienced similar circumstances.

Thanks!

Youngun

Kevman
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Get a written and signed bill of sale from your friend stating the details of the sale of the boat and trailer (date, price, VIN# or other identifying info for boat and former license plate # for the trailer). Take that bill of sale to AAA (you are a member, right?) since you don't want to deal with the DMV. They will handle the plates and registration and getting you pink slips for the boat and trailer. Pink slips will arrive in the mail in a couple months, but you'll have registration and stickers when you walk out of AAA or the DMV. The process is easy and shouldn't cost very much.

AFAIK, the boat should be ok for DVL with the 4-stroke. Someone else can confirm for you or just google the DVL web site or MWD permit info.

Good luck with the new ride!
Kev

NFCD I
01-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I agree with Kevman. The only thing I would add is when your friend writes out a bill of sale for the boat and trailer, low ball the price. You're going to pay sales tax on what ever he puts down. You're good to go at DVL or Skinner with the 10 hp Honda. I had one on my 12' aluminum boat that I fished from for years. I think I caught more fish out of that boat than I do my 18' Skeeter.
Have fun and be safe.