PDA

View Full Version : 1/24 trip and nessie sighting (I think?)

hooks
01-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Hit the Vine for the usual Monday adventure. Arrived in lot at 4 to find 2 cars. By 6 it had dropped to 37 degrees.
Launched in the dark and headed up the west shore. Baited down with crawlers and pb.
I tried all the usual spots but the fish didn't seem interested in eating bait. After trying 5 or 6 spots, I got 4 pounder on the troll. At about 2:30, I was about to give up and call it a day. Hit the lake for one last pass trolling. I was all alone about 3 coves down from the damn on the west shore side. Last week in the same area, I seen what looked to be about 20 feet of telephone pole floating in the water, so I wasn't surprised to see a tree that looked to be about 10 ft. long floating directly in the path of my boat. Not wanting to tangle my trolled lines, I turned the boat to avoid the it. About this time, the "tree" about 10 yards in front of me, submerged beneath the glassy water, leaving an oval shape where it had been. I've seen some big fish in here the last 30 years but never anything like this. I seen Nessie and tessie when they were stocked and this was WAY bigger?:EyePop:
On my troll back to the ramp, I hook up 4 more times landing 1 of them. It's too bad they run everybody off at about 3:30 because I've found that fishing really starts to go off about closing time. Almost all my encounters with the larger models I've had recently (though I haven't landed any off them) have all occured after 2pm.
Too bad the vine can't stay open later like they do during the summer hours. They don't have to stay open 'til 11pm but maybe 7 or 8pm for that prime-time fishing (I know, it'll never happen).
til' Thursday morning, tight lines....