PDA

View Full Version : Best peir in OC area to hit?

Dwchkypmp20
01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
just seeing what you guys recommend for some action? planning on going on weds with a buddy who doesn't have his CA ID yet, so is unable to purchase a license... looking to catch what ever will bite the bait! thanks in advance!

David

smokehound
01-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Piers are generally hit and miss.. either fish are there, or they aren't..

I personally enjoy Dana Point harbor's pier. Since its in the harbor, you have a shot at some spotties.

Bring some mussels, squid, and anchovies.

When the water is covering the rocks to the left of the pier, cast some mussel out, and you can catch some croakers.

BrandonFish
01-25-2011, 04:42 AM
you dont need an ID to purchase a license.. they can still do it manually on the PC unless there lazy.
No clue what pier is hitting sorry.

DockRat
01-25-2011, 04:47 AM
More action on the jetties (no license needed on public jetty with water on both sides).
Check the surf report 1st.
DR

bayfishingjunkie
01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree with my fellow fisherman .Pier action very scetchy especially at this time of year. and yes you can get your license without ID. If I were you I would go to Newport bay Daveys locker and pay the charge to fish off the bay boat rental dock. Or in Marina Del Rey located in the fishermans village area if you go behind the restaurants just west of El Torito you will find a dock the says Hornblower cruises. well to the lfet of that is a bait reciever that also allows for fishing and use of live bait for I believ 10 bucks. You will have a great chance at hooking some nicer fish from there. and if the fishing is slow ,,you got the el torito happy hour to keep you busy.

Dwchkypmp20
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
More action on the jetties (no license needed on public jetty with water on both sides).
Check the surf report 1st.
DR

quick question. since i am a super novice salt water fisher, what am i looking for in the surf reports? whats optimal for jetti fishing? thanks in advance.

David

bayfishingjunkie
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
If your surf fishing ask anyone on the SWAT team especially wingnut that guy owns the surf. as for my opinion I prefer the days with little or no surf. clear water conditios and as little seaweed as possible. I still recommend the pay and fish docks if your just visiting around here. just browse thru the forums on this site and you will find all the answers you want. good luck

salmonheadsoup
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I am new to so cal pier/jetty fishing........in No Cal - cabazon/lingcod are king from the rocks.. whats king down here? and how often is the"King" caught?

smokehound
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Depends on what jetty you visit. Some jetties, like the wedge, in Newport Have Calicos, Sandies, Spotties, Halis, opaleye, Black perch, sharks and rays.

The only piers I ever target are Seal beach's pier, Belmont Shores pier, and DPH's pier.