PDA

View Full Version : Swivel with split shot

Surfnsnowboard3
01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna set up split shot with power worm. Question tho...I've been told by many people to use a swivel with split shot to prevent line twist. Where do I put the swivel? On the rod side of the split shot or hook side? And how far from the split shot does the swivel go?

Thanx

pescadito
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised that no one has answered this yet, as iwas curious as to how the other guys did it myself.

Here's my system that works for me. If i'm in a float tube, typically, i will use a smaller than usual split shot, like a size B and a little larger than normal swivel. I pinch the split shot on, but not too tight, and i allow it to slide up to the knot that i tie to the swivel. Then i'll tie my hook and thread the worm to the other end of the leader on the opposite end of the swivel. Lots of times, i will even forego the split shot and allow the swivel itself to act as the split shot and let it slowly sink out. More often than not, i'll get bit as the worm is slowly sinking into the strike zone. I know i should be worried about the split shot banging up against the knot and weakening it, but i don't feel i have experienced the negative effects of that as of yet.

If i'm fishing from shore, i would use like a size 3/0 or 7 split shot or so and tie to a smaller swivel. And just like from the float tube, my connections are as follows: split shot, swivel, leader, hook, to worm. SPRO makes some really great tiny swivels that works great for this. i love their line of products, but still use the larger old school chain swivels by either P-line or Pucci for when i'm flaot tubing.

This is what works for me, but everyone has their own style to it all!!!
Enjoy experimenting and tell us what works for you!

DarkShadow
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
With light line, has anybody had problems with the split shot being crimped damaging the line?

Daryl
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm gonna set up split shot with power worm. Question tho...I've been told by many people to use a swivel with split shot to prevent line twist. Where do I put the swivel? On the rod side of the split shot or hook side? And how far from the split shot does the swivel go?

Thanx

I very rarely run into line twist issues while split shotting a power worm. If I do, it's usually the type/shape of split shot that is the cause. In that case, the line twist occurs above the swivel anyway.

With light line, has anybody had problems with the split shot being crimped damaging the line?

I crimp them down gently on 2 and 4 lb test and don't have any problems. If you're using 2 lb, in my opinion, the trout's teeth become more of an issue (assuming OP is referring to trout fishing). It doesn't take much abrasion to significantly weaken 2 lb test.

DarkShadow
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
It doesn't take much abrasion to significantly weaken 2 lb test.

Which is why I would be scared to be crimping anything on the line. Do they make small sliding sinkers that you can peg instead?

Daryl
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Which is why I would be scared to be crimping anything on the line. Do they make small sliding sinkers that you can peg instead?

Not that I'm aware of. The split shot I use for jigging a power worm is much lighter than the smallest slider I know of. Besides, I'm usually changing the leader length and split shot size for different depths and retrieve speeds. With a light crimp, I can't remember the last time my line failed at the split shot. When pulling on a snag, it almost always fails at the knot.

pescadito
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
i just thought of this.....

has anyone every tried to peg a weight that the fly tiers use to make bead head or cone head streamers or nymphs? that's probably the smallest weight i can think of that can be pegged, but they are probably on the pricey side......

I too dont get a whole lot of twist, i just use the swivel so i can change out leader lengths and weights.

CraigH
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
If I'm using a split shot right above a swivel, I'll leave the "tag" end of the line a little long, put it next to the main line, then crimp the split shot on both. My theory is that it gives the main line a little protection but its just a theory.

kirkboat
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
i use a 1/32 worm weight and peg it with the rubber pegs sold by bp..won't damage line and is supper adjustable

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-06-2011, 06:19 AM
i use differant sized gold swivels,depending on sink rate ,and casting.if were talking trout, the shine of the swivel,will actully attract trout.they hit the swivel sometimes.this attacts them to your trout worm.there no tangles
like you get with a swivel split shot,and you got an attracter.its perfect with my 5wt fly rod trout worm setup,and ultralite spinning.thats my way.good luck......mike the pmb....