PDA

View Full Version : 3 Fish for 3 Ladies and a Day of Heartache - Day 2 of the 2 for $22 (1-23-11)

TaperSteve
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I arrived at the lake around 4am and was only the 11th car in line and the 2nd boat. Whoo hoo!!! :Dancing Banana:
Not long after I arrived the older guy thats always working the lot in the morning was going through the line telling all the boaters they wouldn't be able to let any boats on the water till atleast day break due to the heavy winds. :Crying: Heartache. I quickly got my Sister's boat ready anyways and then hunkered down in my van to wait for the main gates to open. At 6am when the main gates opened they started parking the boats in order to wait for day break.

So I decided to start throwing a Rapala CD07 from shore for about 15 mins for nothing. Then I decided to try some bait and wait so I put on some PB dipped in Bite-On Garlic Corn and cast it out next to the launch ramp. In less then 5 mins my bobber goes flying up so I grabbed my rod and set the hook. The fish made a fast run right at the shore line and then surfaced and I could see it was easily 8lbs +. A small crowd started to gather as they seen I was on a nice fish. He then made a long run out about 30ft. When I felt him slow down I went to turn him around and........ bam! he's gone!! Damn I thought he broke me off but when I reeled back in I saw he straightened out my size 16 treble hook so he must have not swallowed it. Damn!!! More heartache. :Crying:

The wind was still blowing but the lake decided to let private boaters launch when the sun came up. The 1st boat in line left so I was the 1st to launch. I headed towards the dam along the West Shore but the wind was still howling and there were some white caps and some pretty big swells. Here's a pic I snapped shortly after leaving the dock.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/1-23-11/DSCF0174.jpg

I managed one fish on the way to the dam and then decided it was too ruff out and headed back towards the dock to wait for my Sister, Wife and Dughter to arrive. When they did around 9am we ate breakfast at the Vine Cafe, 4 Fisherman's Specials. After breakfast my Sister and Wife decided to fish from shore for a bit and my Daughter and I headed back out on the boat.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/1-23-11/DSCF0180.jpg

My Daughter caught 1 fish and myself 1 but we didnt take any pics because it was still blowing hard and I had to focus on driving the boat. Finally the wind started to calm down so I made a closer pass along the bouy line. Whamo!!! Bendo!!! My Rapala CD07 rig goes crazy and the drag starts screaming. The fight was on but there was no moving this fish. I fought the fish for atleast 5 mins and got him to within about 50ft of the boat till I finally got him to surface. I could tell the fish was easily a DD trout. Even with the fish being that far back I could see him making runs and i'd turn him around and then he'd run again but there was no tiring him out. Finally he broke me off after a valiant fight. My 1st fish i've broke off and lure i've lost on the troll in 2 years. Ohh it hurt's soo sooo bad. :Crying: More heartache.

I ended the day with 3 fish and the girls with 1 each. Here's a pic of them with their fish.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/1-23-11/DSCF0185.jpg

I missed 2 big fish and failed to make the top 10 in the tourney but all in all it was yet another amazing weekend of fishing at my favorite lake, the Vine.

Hope to see ya'll out on the water soon! :Dancing Banana:

TaperSteve

Thisfool
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
cool report man to bad about those big fish you will get them next time.

bruce watson
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
You didn't mention the big one when we saw each other that afternoon. I would have loved to see you bring in that 8lber. At least you stuck out that wind. It scared the heck out of me.

Hometown
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Good job Steve I didnt fish sunday wind scared me off so went home and watched football but it was good seeing you on saturday.

Rooster
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Looks like i missed a heck of a tourney.. Great report and pics bro.. Cya out there soon

luvdaoutdoors
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the heartbreaks on Sunday. There have been a recent rash of fish breaking line on the troll. I'm hear to say that those bad boys could be those planted wipers. I been hooking into those bruisers and those guys are in the 4 pound range they fight to the hilt. One could almost swear that they were the dd trout. Now doubt that fish you were on was a dd trout but be expecting those wipers to steal some lures. Back lures are in order for trolling. Expect those wipers to come alive as it gets closer to spring time.

GdHkSet1
01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice post, great to see the ladies get some fish too. Sorry to hear about the big ones taking your gear to town, you'll get em next time.. Are you running 4lb test on the troll?

Wkendwarior
01-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice report dude. Sunday sure was fun with the 3ft swells, with water splashing up over the bow it was a challenge to keep the boat tracking the direction wanted. Dog tracking for 3hrs and all the tipping all over my buddy had enough. And when the boat cut out due to lack of fuel in the pick up and quickly drifting toward the rocks he had enough and said ok time to get off the water. Oh well we had a few hook ups but lost them as they jumped the waves. Anyway it was great to see you out there Steve.

See ya out there next time, Tight Lines.

CL SmooV
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
nice report and pics TS.

that wind looks rough!

MAVERICK27
01-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice report! Way to get the girls on fish!! Trebles are for cranks only LOL ;)...and river fishin

TaperSteve
01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
You didn't mention the big one when we saw each other that afternoon. I would have loved to see you bring in that 8lber. At least you stuck out that wind. It scared the heck out of me.

I hate to be one to tell my fishing stories/lies if ya know what I mean. I wish I would have landed either of those big ones I hooked into. Of course there were haters too though. As soon as I lost the fish I had a guy come over and tell me i'm lucky I didn't land the fish because I would have been disqualified for fishing from the launch ramp. I wasn't fishing from the launch ramp I was fishing next to it and while I was fighting the fish I wasn't paying attention and walked maybe a foot or two on to it as it wasn't being used at the time. After I asked the security guy if I was OK fishing where I was and he said no problem since I wasn't on the ramp and it wasn't being used at the time anyways. So what'd I do? Tied on a new hook and cast right back out. Not long after it was time to launch my boat though.

Sorry to hear about the heartbreaks on Sunday. There have been a recent rash of fish breaking line on the troll. I'm hear to say that those bad boys could be those planted wipers. I been hooking into those bruisers and those guys are in the 4 pound range they fight to the hilt. One could almost swear that they were the dd trout. Now doubt that fish you were on was a dd trout but be expecting those wipers to steal some lures. Back lures are in order for trolling. Expect those wipers to come alive as it gets closer to spring time.

I'm 100% sure it was a trout and def the biggest trout i've ever hooked into because it surfaced 50ft back and I could clearly see the fish. I've hooked in to more then 1 wiper at the Vine both trolling and baiting down with mac during cat season. It just wasn't my day. I brought a bunch of extra rods with me because of my Sis, Wife, and Daughter being with me that day and the one I hooked into the fish with was a cheapo 6ft Med 6-17lb rod way too stiff for fighting a fish like that. Next time though, next time.....

Nice post, great to see the ladies get some fish too. Sorry to hear about the big ones taking your gear to town, you'll get em next time.. Are you running 4lb test on the troll?

Nah I always run 6lb test. Sometimes i'll run 4lb test on a 7ft UL 2-8lb rod dragging small lures like CD03's and SC Shiners but I don't do that too often and when I do I keep my drag set pretty lose. Actually when I was fighting the ?DD trout? I actually tightened up my drag a couple times but I must have done it to much because i'm used to using lighter rods like I should have been.

Wkendwarior - Nice seeing you out there both days! Fishing was great and the weather was amazing Saturday. Too bad things started out the way they did on Sunday.

Hometown - Good seeing ya out there!

Thisfool, Rooster, CL SmooV - Thanx for all the postive replies/vibes!

TS

TaperSteve
01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice report! Way to get the girls on fish!! Trebles are for cranks only LOL ;)...and river fishin

ehh I was using PB. At the end of the day I showed Jimmy the hook and he gave me a very helpful tip so hopefully that won't happen again.

Josh
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
that seriously sucks about losing those big ones. You'll get 'em again I am sure.

lagunaCOCONUT
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the report! Fish coming unbuttoned happens to the best of us! At least you got a glimpse! Keep up the cool reports and fishing with family is always the best! Thanks for sharing!

LC

the killa fish taco
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
you lost the fish at the ramp due to my cheap rod!!!! j/k.... It happens some times. Good seeing you that day... Now you know why we try to fish the ramp as often as we can.

hooks
01-25-2011, 11:13 AM
:Off Topic:
While putting my boat back on the trailer yesterday, a 10 pounder jumped between my boat and trailer?
:Head Bang::Head Bang::Head Bang::Nut Kick:

5150fishn
01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Too bad about the ones that got away. It happens to the best of us. Glad to hear the water mellowed out enough to get out on the boat. Don't sweat the haters, they just hate seeing someone with skills showing them up. LOL! Glad to hear that you and the ladies got on some fish. Wish I could of made it out last weekend.

Rooster
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Now you know why we try to fish the ramp as often as we can.

Come on Killa, Your better then that bro... Ramp fish don't count, Its like trolling woodys cove :Envious:

the killa fish taco
01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Come on Killa, Your better then that bro... Ramp fish don't count, Its like trolling woodys cove :Envious:

its all fair game.... its part of the lake isnt it? lol :Secret:

troutdog
01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Steve your DD will come this year, nice report fish slayer...

TD

bruce watson
01-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Steve your DD will come this year, nice report fish slayer...

TD

I'll bet that it will happen the week after your sister gets hers. Like they say, "Ladies First".