PDA

View Full Version : The Chili I made for the corona event

Josh
01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm just going to post what I put into the chili specifically for the event, feel free to scale the recipe to whatever number of people you are making it for.

1 - 15lb Beef Brisket cubed and trimmed.

12 - Green (anaheim) chili's chopped and seeded.
12 - Yellow chili's chopped and seeded.
6 - Habanero chili's seeded and minced.
1 - Large onion finely chopped
1 - whole head of garlic minced

4 tbsp chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper (may have used more, can't remember LOL)

6 14oz. cans of diced stewed tomatoes
6 14oz. cans kidney beans
3 28oz. cans tomato sauce.
2 12oz. cans of tomato paste.

In one pan brown the meat in small batches, leave some fat on the meat to make some grease. Put the meat into a large stock pot then, in the grease from the meat cook the chilis, onion and garlic until soft.

Place the vegetables in with the meat then add the tomatos, sauce and paste. Drain the kidney beans and rinse then add them in as well. Finally add the dry ingredients. Cook the chili over medium high heat, covered, until it's near boiling stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer as long as you'd like. This recipe made about 4 gallons so it was definitely for a crowd. You can also use a chuck roast or hamburger in place of the brisket but chuck/brisket gives it more flavor.

Hometown
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
sounds really good Josh another reason Im sad I missed the event.
I'm just going to post what I put into the chili specifically for the event, feel free to scale the recipe to whatever number of people you are making it for.

1 - 15lb Beef Brisket cubed and trimmed.

12 - Green (anaheim) chili's chopped and seeded.
12 - Yellow chili's chopped and seeded.
6 - Habanero chili's seeded and minced.
1 - Large onion finely chopped
1 - whole head of garlic minced

4 tbsp chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper (may have used more, can't remember LOL)

6 14oz. cans of diced stewed tomatoes
6 14oz. cans kidney beans
3 28oz. cans tomato sauce.
2 12oz. cans of tomato paste.

In one pan brown the meat in small batches, leave some fat on the meat to make some grease. Put the meat into a large stock pot then, in the grease from the meat cook the chilis, onion and garlic until soft.

Place the vegetables in with the meat then add the tomatos, sauce and paste. Drain the kidney beans and rinse then add them in as well. Finally add the dry ingredients. Cook the chili over medium high heat, covered, until it's near boiling stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer as long as you'd like. This recipe made about 4 gallons so it was definitely for a crowd. You can also use a chuck roast or hamburger in place of the brisket but chuck/brisket gives it more flavor.

Troutman65
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I will have to try this recipie . Thanks for sharing

NachoFish
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
That was awesome chili Josh! Maybe a Team 57 chili cookoff/fishing event?

Thisfool
01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
PSSSS how arrogant Josh no one even liked your chili

lol just messing with you bud the recipe looks great im going to have to attempt to make it some day.

bassgrabber1
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I love making chilli....never entered a cookoff but I may want to .

Josh
01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
That was awesome chili Josh! Maybe a Team 57 chili cookoff/fishing event?

now that would be fun. Might be a bit dangerous though, that much concentrated gas after the cook off could cause and explosion.

NachoFish
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
now that would be fun. Might be a bit dangerous though, that much concentrated gas after the cook off could cause and explosion.

Can you say "blazing saddles"?? We could have prizes for best chili and biggest fish.

D

Josh
02-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Can you say "blazing saddles"?? We could have prizes for best chili and biggest fish.

D

LOL. Eating that much chili will leave more than the saddle blazing.

Troutman65
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I am thinking of halfing the recipie . I think 2 gallons would be plenty . 4 gallons would be to much . And I don't think I have a pot that big . LOL

Troutman65
02-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Making some chili today . Kind of used some of what you did .I added smoked pork shanks , bacon, hamburger, and I started out the Brisket in the crock pot over night . I like the brisket to be stringy in my chili . Hopefully it will come out good .

Josh
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Making some chili today . Kind of used some of what you did .I added smoked pork shanks , bacon, hamburger, and I started out the Brisket in the crock pot over night . I like the brisket to be stringy in my chili . Hopefully it will come out good .

Sorry I missed the post, how'd your chili turn out?