PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Report Jan 21, 2011

Calicanuck
01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Well This past week it really warmed up so I started watching the Web cams on the net to see if the lake was ice free. Day by day it looked like the ice was off earlier in the AM. I headed up to the lake on Friday 21st January and the lake is really high right now. Must have been all those crazy rains. Its about 8-10 inches from flowing over the dam. I first set up in the am where I usually fish out on the shore I was up in the trees on a bank. Kind of nice and out of the wind. As soon as I had the rods out the bites started on rainbow pb with 16 inch leader. They were such light bites though and nothing was really sticking. I hooked a few and they felt small and came off long line release style. Then I got one to shore that was only around 11 inches or so. Things slowed down around 11 Am so I headed to the dam to give it a try. Tried a NC under a slip bobber for no action. Also tried casting a mini jig for not even a sniff and then a kastmaster for nadda! So headed back down to the east end by the launch. Casted out the lines and a soon as it hit the bottom I was getting bites. Hooked up on one that was about 12 inches and let him go to grow. So pretty much it was a two fish day and probably 30 or more hits, very light hits. Must be alot of small ones in there from the stocking. Didn't seem like the bigger ones were around to bite. Also seems like when the water is colder the power bait gets stiff and the hook doesn't really pull out of the wall to take hold that well. Oh well it was still an awesome day with beautiful weather. The water is kinda murky though for this time of year so either its turning over or still leftover from all the runoff. Can't wait for the spring time fishing to start!

Calicanuck

FSHNLIC
01-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Appreciate the update... I was considering going up yesterday but never made it... Another month and a half and it will be on!!!

Natural Lefty
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I think there won't be as many people fishing Big Bear this year with the main road to it closed. I would like to try it this year even if it's a longer drive though.