PDA

View Full Version : Friday, jan 21, upper lake--

sidified
01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Just a note, lads, to verify that as of Friday, very little happening at Castaic...The waning gibbous off the full moon was no help but the solunar was still decent and the barometrics were holding just inside the low zone..Got there at opening, held up the line too long with all the annual pass paper work,...sorry guys...I launched the 'BE JAMIN', and since trout were planted the day before, threw swimbaits in the marina for 1/2 an hour...no takers or metered signs of stripey life ...Hit C Point for some marks but no love..off to several points up the Fish Arm, tossing top, mid, and bottom artificials...same deal. Worked the usual spots up the Ski Arm til the bouy line, where I anchored and settled in for lunch while soaking fresh dines from Gallions....marked a good quantity of fish that stayed at that east end of the line, hanging from 54 feet to the 82 foot bottom, but they were lockjawed to my offerings... I went down to 4lb fluro... One rod I drop shot to the bottom, the other fly-lined or with small split-shot...I did straight dines and alternately doctored baits with several stinky marinades...I managed to beat the skunk in an odd sort of way...My bottom rod, circle hook/sardine/Bang combo starting twitching ever so lightly and after 10 seconds began to bend ...started to crank with no runs and little resistance...and I net a 17'' greenback!...He looked healthy, no sign of ruptured air bladder, and had been jaw hooked...Nevertheless, after initially swimming off , he drifted away belly up til out of sight...I hate that... I did enjoy meeting and talking tactics with Lowe Boat Dan.
Eventually headed back to the marina and bagged a cooler of 'consolation prize' trout...Beautiful day, no stripers, no complaints...
Luck to all,
Sid

Hang'em High
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Even if you can't see the bladder, he still probably needed to be fizzed.

Here is a real good "how to" video if you have a hypodermic.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/how-to-fizz-a-bass.html