PDA

View Full Version : fizzing bass

BentRod
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
question? When you have brought a bass up and all you can see is the air bladder. Is it ok to insert tool directly into bladder through mouth. please advise someone.

Matt_Magnone
01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
the organ coming out of the fish's mouth is not the swim bladder. its their stomach. try not to puncture or shove the stomach back into their stomach. in doing so you may introduce and infection into the fish.

the through the mouth technique is very popular but too many problems can happen. worst case scenario you may puncture their heart if you dont place the needle in correctly. way too many vital organs you can harm. i strongly advise not too.

i prefer to deflate a deep caught fish through the side.

lay the bass on its side and "gently" take its pectoral fin and push it flat relaxed against the body. 2-3 scales from the tip of the fin insert a needle with the flat side down at a 45degree angle under a scale. once under the scale, lift the needle to a 90 degree angle and press down. place the fish in under water and allow the air to "fiz" or release. when the fish becomes bouyant, and relaxes, pull the needle out and observe the fish. if it needs to be deflated more, start from the beginning. try not to stick fish multiple times. imagine having a needle stuck into you 5 or 6 times.

try not to use a bent fish hook, knife or any other sharp object. it will work, but i dont reccomend it. you'll rough the fish up unnecessarily.

hope this helped.

KingShad
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
the organ coming out of the fish's mouth is not the swim bladder. its their stomach. try not to puncture or shove the stomach back into their stomach. in doing so you may introduce and infection into the fish.

the through the mouth technique is very popular but too many problems can happen. worst case scenario you may puncture their heart if you dont place the needle in correctly. way too many vital organs you can harm. i strongly advise not too.

lay the bass on its side and "gently" take its pectoral fin and push it flat relaxed against the body. 2-3 scales from the tip of the fin insert a needle with the flat side down at a 45degree angle under a scale. once under the scale, lift the needle to a 90 degree angle and press down. place the fish in under water and allow the air to "fiz" or release. when the fish becomes bouyant, and relaxes, pull the needle out and observe the fish. if it needs to be deflated more, start from the beginning. try not to stick fish multiple times. imagine having a needle stuck into you 5 or 6 times.

try not to use a bent fish hook, knife or any other sharp object. it will work, but i dont reccomend it. you'll rough the fish up unnecessarily.

hope this helped.

Bass pro shops sell fizzers or you can go to a feed store and get a horse needle.

BentRod
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
thanks for the info. just what i needed to know

a321eric
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
might wanna call bass pro shops before you go and buy one because the time i called and asked for a bends mender or a "fizzer" the guy on the phone from the fishing dept had no clue what i was talking about....i got mine from Last Chance Tackle for like 6 bucks

KingShad
01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
cant beat that price. bps is like 29.00 go to last chance.

dwaynesda
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Got an easier way with no needles. We cut off the end of a good sized hook just past the barb leaving the j portion intact. Next we tie that hook onto a 1 pound rock cod sinker with about 6 inches of heavy line. We then take the heaviest rod we have and tie that line onto the J portion of the barbless hook (Not the eye) Attach the barbless hook to the lip of the bass and drop the whole rig with the bass attached (Place the hook in the lower jaw) to the desired depth. When you start to wind the rig up fast, the barbless hook pulls out because you tied your line to the bend in the hook. The bladder decompresses naturally as you slowly decend the bass and he swims off a happy camper. It is quick and painless and easy to do with no chance for an infection. I keep the rig handy when I am fishing deep knowing the fish I catch will have the blown out air bladder and it will be put to use. The sinker and hook release rig should be part of everyones boat gear.

Kareem Korn
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Excuse me for asking this but, isn't fishing deep for bass in the winter without the knowledge of deflating them just as bad as keeping them or tossing them on the bank?:???:

fishsniffin
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
cant beat that price. bps is like 29.00 go to last chance.

29 bucks? Geez, are you sure it's a bladder deflater? I've never heard of such a riduclous price. I get mine for under 4 bucks. Or you can just order from T.W. for $4.29.

Easiest way is just to deflate the fish, as Matt_Magnone stated. 2-3 scales after the pectoral fins, entering at a 45% angle. After deflating the fish a few times, you can do it pretty much blind-folded. There are a couple of videos on you-tube for some of you who wants to research it.

Matt_Magnone
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
we have an order of bends menders coming in soon. currently sold out, but we expect them in a few days. ive been doing my best to send one out with every customer serious about fishing the deep bite. not worth the casualties when you can pay a small fee to keep these fish healthy.

the weight and barbless hook thing is awesome. we've taken milk crates with weights added to all 4 sides. tied a rope to the center of the milk crate. throw your bass in the water and put the milk crate over the fish. if you send the bass down at lease 20 feet with the crate, the gasses in the fish will subside and the fish will be cool.

GrabBass1
01-25-2011, 06:51 AM
I agree with the previous guys about going to Last Chance for as many fishing items as possible. Good prices and great instruction on local water fishing. Also, no one from Bass Pro is on here telling you how to fiz a bass like Matt. Thanks Matt, for everything.:UDaMan:

BentRod
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
ya that's why I asked the question.

fishslayer22
01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I stop by last chance whenever possible to to hit up Matt for his useful knowledge.Good man.

Hog Caller
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey stiffrod, crookedrod, playswithrod oh yea bentrod. I copied this link from another post on the Castaic reports and it's a great video showing exactly what Matt describes. Hopefully we can put it to good use Saturday.
http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/how-to-fizz-a-bass.html

Kareem Korn
01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Hey stiffrod, crookedrod, playswithrod oh yea bentrod. I copied this link from another post on the Castaic reports and it's a great video showing exactly what Matt describes. Hopefully we can put it to good use Saturday.
http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/how-to-fizz-a-bass.html

Excellent find and post. Some people (myself included) need a visual to get it right.

sweetfish
01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Wow, Thanks HC. I will now know how to fizz the bass correctly when they float.

BentRod
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

hope this helped.

picked up bends mender at Angler's today thx. Won't have to worry about bringing them up slowly any more.

Geraldlim
01-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree with the previous guys about going to Last Chance for as many fishing items as possible. Good prices and great instruction on local water fishing. Also, no one from Bass Pro is on here telling you how to fiz a bass like Matt. Thanks Matt, for everything.:UDaMan:

I go shop there every chance I get to support the store Matt works at, and because they have great prices, and all sorts of hard to find items. And Megan is great too and very knowledgeable.

Matt_Magnone
01-28-2011, 09:32 PM
cool deal bud. hopefully they spent a little time talking to you about it. i always try and educate people for a brief moment making sure they understand where to stick the fish and all that jive. if you got any questions lemme know.

BentRod
01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Matt used your method with bends mender woked perfect. thanks again. It was easier than I thought. Fish took off like rockets.

BVanDiest
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I built a "milk crate" cage from a hanging basket cage with attached ocean sinkers. My wife and I had it out last weekend at DVL and it worked great!

Also we aren't tournament anglers so we don't need to needle them and keep them in the live well so I wanted a safer way to get them back down without poking them. I must say that if I was in a tournament I would have to Fizz them, so I'm not totally against it.

Here is a video we shot with an iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Vwd-ccu6w

BVD

viperman100
02-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Anyone ever see these before? seems easier than carrying around a milk crate or basket and easier than poking the fish if you dont feel comfortable doing so.

and here is the website:
http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

smokehound
02-20-2011, 04:15 AM
I built a "milk crate" cage from a hanging basket cage with attached ocean sinkers. My wife and I had it out last weekend at DVL and it worked great!

Also we aren't tournament anglers so we don't need to needle them and keep them in the live well so I wanted a safer way to get them back down without poking them. I must say that if I was in a tournament I would have to Fizz them, so I'm not totally against it.

Here is a video we shot with an iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Vwd-ccu6w

BVDthis man right here speaks GOLD.

puncturing the air bladder is the dumbest thing you could do to a LMB. dont care if you're a pro-basser or not, this is likely to kill a lmb if you havent studied the internal anatomy well.

sure, they'll swim away. But then the next morning someone's gonna find a huge dead bass and post a sob story here.. :LOL:

Ahhhhhhh the serious LMBasser.. preaching for the well-being and conservation of an alien species, then goes and crams a bunch of bass into an often tiny livewell with poor circulation and bad filtration.

then everyone at the weigh-in molests the fish, hangs it on a creepy scale, and a group of 30-40-LB stripers just sit there, waiting for the released bass. LOL.

just messin with ya bass-lovers... seriously though, please study this technique for at LEAST 40 hours before you attempt this.

viperman100
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
this man right here speaks GOLD.

puncturing the air bladder is the dumbest thing you could do to a LMB. dont care if you're a pro-basser or not, this is likely to kill a lmb if you havent studied the internal anatomy well.

sure, they'll swim away. But then the next morning someone's gonna find a huge dead bass and post a sob story here.. :LOL:

Ahhhhhhh the serious LMBasser.. preaching for the well-being and conservation of an alien species, then goes and crams a bunch of bass into an often tiny livewell with poor circulation and bad filtration.

then everyone at the weigh-in molests the fish, hangs it on a creepy scale, and a group of 30-40-LB stripers just sit there, waiting for the released bass. LOL.

just messin with ya bass-lovers... seriously though, please study this technique for at LEAST 40 hours before you attempt this.

that little tool I mentioed does the same job, take the fish and releases it at the depth you caught it but without the need for a milk crate makink it easier to carry around with you. the web site has alot of info on how to use it, I found it on a kayak fishing site I guess alot of guys use it to release deep caught rock fish. But I definately agree, if not tournament fishing it is much better to release the bass without having to puncture him at all if possible.