PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Sign !

DockRat
01-22-2011, 08:20 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/swtjulez/Cali%20Trip/Cali088.jpg

The pic above is not good. Why Not ?

NO STEAM :Angry:
Coming down PCH today sun setting I was feeling pretty good seeing http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/useless_lessons/Miscellaneous/eyes.jpg

The Edison Plant Blowing Steam http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/xavbrav/Cartoons/Dancing_Banana.gif

Unlike the Dormant Power Plant above. Itching to try a new LC 120 Pointer and a Rapala X Trap. Pull up and see nobody hitting the KH Bubble :Shocked:

Tossed the Rapala for 5 minutes then the LC. Couple minutes later BAM

Bonito Swim Pattern :Shocked:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/adie_krachtology/zigzag.jpg

Best drag burner yet, then left run, right, left for a Fat 17" Bone.
Followed up with a short Calico then a couple Macs.

Then another Bonehead takes off left on a long run 50' and turns towards me.
Yikes !!! How fast can I reel !!! This sucker passed me 20' off the rocks till it ran out of slack for a another short drag burner. Another 17" er.

Had a couple Bones come off. There was some major fish crashing all over and underwater submarine trails seen. That place came alive after sunset. The macs were chasing bait into the rocks and boils all over the place.

Total count.
2 Bonito 3 lost
4 Mackeral C&R 30+ hits 3 lost. You could feel them bumping it like a bait hit.
1 Calico C&R
1 hour 15 min.

Side note; The 1st had anchovies in it's belly
The second one had squid in it ? Go Figure ?

1 more then I'll have my 5 limit (under 17" ready for the smoker) :Thumbs Up:
DR

Surfer
01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Cool report. Were you fishing off a boat?

DockRat
01-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Cool report. Were you fishing off a boat?

:ROFL: Your Funny

The rocks in the above pic. Dude you are missing it ! :LOL:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy118/zenmiettegmailcom/Magnificent_Samba_Dancer_Hat.gif Samba Samba
DR

JapanRon
01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi DockRat,

There wouldn't be a 360 degree live cam anywhere in the area of view of that plant would there!! I'll check. Gotta go hunt for one. Before they had one at Hermosa and a couple all the way to Santa Monica at surfline. Will check that too !! Gotta pay ya back for your great info. Here's one bunch: http://www.mybeachcams.com/california/los_angeles/

JapanRon

Troutman65
01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
When It's raining or very cloudy day those stacks are fired up and spewing smoke .

fishshep
01-23-2011, 04:44 AM
WOW !!! Reminds me of the 90,s when that stack was
smoking almost 24/7 :Smile:
Good catchin !!! :Smile:

DockRat
01-23-2011, 05:48 AM
When It's raining or very cloudy day those stacks are fired up and spewing smoke .

That's what you think.

That Power Plant is OFF most of the time.

Check this site for the future possible DEMO of the Plant and Pics ?

http://www.southbayparks.org/

Did you know that the AES Power Plant rarely operates (less than 10% of its capacity a year) and is shut down for months at a time?

June, 2008, The Sierra Club "South Bay Open Bay Task Force" Announces Its Support of SBPC's Efforts to Convert the AES Power Plant Site to a Park.

Bye Bye Power Plant = Bye Bye Winter Bonito

Measure G zoning is broken into three main areas:

The harbor/pier area - zoned largely for commercial, hotel and timeshare development with one small park.
The AES power plant site which allows power plant and other public utilities (like a desalination plant) uses. Park zoning is permitted on this site, but is not defined or required.
A 21 acre area area west of Catalina Drive. This area allows a variety of development from mixed use housing, to commercial, to industrial, to storage units.
A "yes" vote on Measure G is a vote to approve Redondo Beach's Local Coastal Plan (LCP). The California Coastal Act requires cities and counties located within the California coastal zone to submit Local Coastal Plan for certification.

A "yes" vote on G will:

Allow 400,000 sq ft of additional development to the harbor area.
Allow 540,000 sq ft of additional development along Catalina Ave.
Allow continuation of the AES power plant and the addition of a desalination plant. This area has no set development cap or height limits.
Election results
Yes: 11,919 (52.62%) a
No: 10,734 (47.38%)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2010/11/complicated-waterfront-development-passes-in-redondo-beach.html

Voters in Redondo Beach narrowly approved a waterfront development measure so complicated that it took 180 pages to explain in election materials sent out to city residents.

Measure G establishes new zoning and land-use standards for King Harbor and the pier, the AES power plant site and a section of Catalina Avenue leading to Pacific Coast Highway. It passed with just over 52% of the vote Tuesday, according to semi-final results from the Los Angeles County registrar’s office.

“We finally, with Measure G, have a sensible and balanced framework to guide future investments and improvements to our harbor,” said Mayor Michael A. Gin, who was among those backing the measure.

“This is something that will benefit not only our harbor area, but it will help to improve the economic vitality, sustainability and quality of life for our entire city for years to come.”

The measure faced stiff opposition from the group known as Building a Better Redondo, which argued that it will allow too much additional construction – 940,000 square feet -- and create traffic gridlock.

DockRat
01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi DockRat,

There wouldn't be a 360 degree live cam anywhere in the area of view of that plant would there!! JapanRon

Dude down the street has a live cam on Via El Toro in the Riviera. Check it out.
In the last few years it seems as if it is always off, but has been running for the last week I noticed.

http://torrancebeach.com/
DR

Surfer
01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Surf's up you kooks!

DockRat
01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Went back to the spot this morning after a epic bite last night.
I see the Power Plant and NO STEAM BLOWING. This is not good at 8:00 am &
50 degrees outside.
Get to the KH short pier and see the cooling plant bubble on ?
2 guys tossing feathers and floats said no bites.

Fished the LC, Kroc, Kastmaster for 1 1/2 hours and NO Bites.
Go on the short pier and see Bonito all over the place but no biters.
One guy said they hooked 2 all morning on the LC.

Conclusion : Power plant cooling bubble on and No Steam = Fish not active
Power plant stacks steaming and bubble on = fish active and biting due to the warm water.

Surf's up you kooks!

Where did you surf today ?

DR

Ifishtoolittle
01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice work on the feesh. Post some pics will ya? And man does high tide inside KH really go up that much?

flyngby
01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice work Martin!

Why are you waiting to start the smoker? 5 fresh and 1 week old frozen/thawed is better than 1 fresh and 6 week old frozen/thawed in my book.

Great to see a few are coming out of there but I won't get excited yet until they return like I used to get them in the 70's. I must admit they are addicting on the light tackle!

You would make my day if you would actually post a pic of your proud self holding you catches! You already gave away the spot! No Internet imposter's allowed!

Nice work on the feesh. Post some pics will ya? And man does high tide inside KH really go up that much?

Whether it is a bay, estuary, or river attached to the sea, it will rise and fall the same as the mean sea tidal movement!

DockRat
01-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Great to see a few are coming out of there but I won't get excited yet until they return like I used to get them in the 70's. I must admit they are addicting on the light tackle!

Yesterday was like the seventies with hundreds of the Boneheads seen from the short pier.

' Here they come ' was a common phrase I heard but nobody hooking up.
Bubble on but No Steam coming from the power plant = cold water and no biters but they were showing intrest in lures by following them.

Just walked out front 5:40 am and still don't see the steam.
Pictures are a pain in the *** but I guess I'll start. Sent some pics to Brandon.
DR

tomah
01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
hope they start biting soon!

murrieta angler
01-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey DR,
I guess I'll have to head over there, one of these days, and give it a try.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

flyngby
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Yesterday was like the seventies with hundreds of the Boneheads seen from the short pier.

Bubble on but No Steam coming from the power plant = cold water and no biters but they were showing intrest in lures by following them.

Pictures are a pain in the *** but I guess I'll start. Sent some pics to Brandon.
DR

Pictures are a pain in the *** but I guess I'll start?

This coming from the master of comics and other off the wall internet copied links?

Pics are easy!

I went with my instincts today and headed southeast instead of south! I am so looking forward to going after the bones again on my old school Mitchell setup! Some day!

Ifishtoolittle
01-24-2011, 11:38 PM

DR

Short pier? Do you mean Polly's?