PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to catch Calicos at Goleta pier?

synenergy52
07-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Would dropshotting plastics work?

Nessie Hunter
07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I dont know Goleta Pier at all?????

But you probably wont find checkers at any pier..

They are more of structure fish and hang in Kelp and very rocky places...

anadromous
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
I went to school there 10 years ago...I remember there was an underwater pipeline which ran parallel to the pier on the right, just look for the line of kelp. Cast that direction, but on the pier-side, if you cast beyond the pipeline you'll get snagged. I don't think I caught anything on artificials, dead squid or chovies seemed to produce for me. Try surf fishing the rocky points of Isla Vista, there used to be plenty of cabezon and grass rockfish.

BBL2Baja
07-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Goleta pier is west of Santa Barbara, somewhat near the UCSB campus.

There was a recent thread about fishing it:
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=2903

Later,
Scott

Fish Dog
08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Goleta pier...many many years ago they had a boat rental there where they'd hoist a 16 foot aluminum with something like an 8 hp motor into the water from the pier. As I remember that didn't last too long, (not enough business I guess). Went once when it was in operation but didn't do any good as I remember. I do remember a lot of kelp around there so if that's still there I would think the calicos would be around. I did a quick search and found this though...

Goleta Pier

The 1,500-foot pier in Goleta Beach County Park provides boaters, fishermen, and families out for a stroll, an engaging view of the Pacific coast.

The Goleta Pier boat launch is available for public use on weekends and holidays. The park's resident ranger must be in attendance to facilitate the launch. To make arrangements call (805) 967-1300 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The launch fee is $15.00 ($9.00 for seniors).

(source: http://www.sbparks.com/DOCS/specialevents.html)

So, apparently the hoist is still there and working...might be interesting to try. I wonder how big a boat they can handle?