PDA

View Full Version : East Walker Assistance

Team Brown Eye
01-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I've been reading about and checking out pictures of the East Walker River during the winter and it's time! Me and my cousin want to fish the Walker this winter for a day but dont know anything about that particular body of water. We are hoping to find someone on the board who will be willing to show us around or give us some tips. We are considering going within the next month on a Sunday or Monday. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Viejo
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
A couple of things. Since you've been reading about it, you probably already know that it's single barbless fly or lure hook. The East Walker is all catch and release water with a ZERO take. It gets wicked cold up there...to the point where hypothermia is a really possiblity after a few hours if you are not well preprared. Hand and feet protection are essential. If you catch fish....keeping them in the water and not freezing their gills by exposing the to the frigid air helps survival rates. Be prepared to deal with guides icing up repeatedly. Have a nice breakfast in town....visit the shop and get the latest intell and enjoy the day. There are no facilities (restrooms, trash cans) ...be responsible about where you go and pack your trash out. It's a remarkable fishery that gets a lot of pressure year round and still produces a quality fishing experience.

billy b
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Speaking of eating ... gotsta stop at my favorite watering hole ... Hayes Street Cafe ... on the west side of the street ... right next to the river crossing (north side - right side as you're heading out of town) ... across from the Walker motel. (Breakfast and lunch only - the best hash browns, toast, fries and burgers ... and other things)

There's some other good eating (Rhinos in the middle of town for lunch and dinner - a lot like the Tiger Bar in June) ... but I like this place better than Jacks and the Village in Bishop.

Stay Bent is a great source is you want some guiding ...

That's just my 2 or 3 cents ... or less.

simijab
01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I dont fly fish but I do fish this river alot. The fly fishermen always try and tell me that they chatch way more fish now that they use flys but so does every body else who fishes that river try using a lite spinning rod set up with mini jigs or just a split shot with a single barbless hook with a berkley trout worm and jig them along side the current make sure you stay along side the current not in the current. I probably said to much already so P.M. me if you have any other questions.

Piss on Myspace
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
it's single barbless fly or lure hook. The East Walker is all catch and release water with a ZERO take.

no artificals...barbless lures and flys only... if using plastics,make sure there not scented

simijab
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
try reading your regs again it says only artifical barbless lures or flys. Mini jigs are a artificals lure and I make them barbless myself. I said I fished this river alot and I have run into my far share of wardens and they have all said that they are fine with the tackle I use.

Guest Who
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
good question. I never knew if the restrictions forbid scented plastics, since trout will swallow a power worm deep sometimes if you use them still as bait.

simijab
01-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah the regular berkly worms not the gulp are ok and mini jigs are fine also. You can't use any gulp. There really are any regs specifying that but the wardens said that how they handle it. He also said that some don't know the difference but there is no reason to risk it.