PDA

View Full Version : Not a report...but important info for Castaic fishermen

adicfor
01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
My bank got hit for $1000 last weekend (2 - $500 cash withdrawls) and I am hearing that the Pilot gas station in Castaic may have been where my info was stolen. I heard thru a friend that there have been multiple reports of this happening to people that use that gas station regularly, so be careful. I don't have any solid info but this is what I have heard so I thought it might be good to put it out there.

Btbdodgers
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
good lookin out

adicfor
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I just got off the phone with my brother in law that lives in Castaic and his bank got hit for $1000 this weekend also. He uses that gas station regularly also.

BigBassFrank
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I hope the F**** thieves get Busted!

yolo
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Is this for bank card transactions linked to your bank accounts or Credit Card or both?

adicfor
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
It was my ATM card that I used to get gas so the money came out of my bank account.

adicfor
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I would assume that it could be any type of card used at the pumps. I get gas there all the time so I dont know when the info was stolen but the money being taken out of my account and my brother in laws account happened this weekend. I have also heard of a couple others that live in Castaic have had it happen also lately.

CL SmooV
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
thanks for the heads up. sounds like an inside job. give it time (weeks), and im sure they will be able to trace it back to this jackass thief.

SDDave
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
It was my ATM card that I used to get gas so the money came out of my bank account.
How were using the card, did you hand it to the clerk or was it from swiping at the pump?

adicfor
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
It was swiped at the pump.

SDDave
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
That sucks, sorry to here that happened, you need to report it to the sherriff's .
I checked my account and haven't had any
unauthorized charges, not to say it couldn't happen.
Always something going on with that pilot station, bad fuel, now this crap...

adicfor
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
My bank already fixed my account but I just want others to be careful. Since I first posted earlier today I have heard of 4 others that have had between $400 and $1200 taken out of there account. They also filed reports with the sheriff.

yolo
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
I was there like 2 weeks ago and I remember a dude that seemed half out of it changing or putting new rolls of paper in the reader/printer at the pumps. I distinctly remember him because he was acting weird and something just didn't sit right. He was always looking around. Pretty sure he had to be an employee cause it was out in the daytime and he had a Pilot vest or some kind of Pilot uniform on. I didn't think much of it then just that the dude was a little strange but under this new development adicfor posted it makes me go hmm. I paid with MC and just looked at my statement online and nothing funky. It's a business MC and they always call me when they suspect some suspicious charges.

adicfor
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I got the call too Yolo but I was out of town. I just dont understand how they were able to get $1000. I am pretty sure there is a limit of $300 a day for taking out cash. I forgot to ask the bank that. I guess I might switch to cash only or go inside to use the card to pay. Keep an eye on your account. The earliest date I have heard this happening there was Jan 9th and the latest was last Sunday.

yolo
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I just checked my statement online and it was 1-10-11 that I got the gas at that Pilot.

On check cards, the daily max is usually $500 for most banks. They will investigate it and refund your money. Problem is it can take some time for that.

DarkShadow
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
It's a lot better if you use your debit card as a 'credit' transaction. It'll make the reversal of charges much quicker.

If you use your PIN and someone 'skims' your info and then makes their own cards, then you might be up for some head aches.

elevated
01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
x2 the above, use credit for most transactions at small vendors, Especially small mom and pop shops, its ****** but they get all your info real quick if you use it debit.

madwire3
01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
same thing was goin on here in bako last year, something to do with installing something that recorded credit card info when swiped, whoever was doing it got a few diferent pumps around town... got a lot of people for a lot of money

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
BE AWARE …EVERYONE !

You are NOT safe !

This is NOT bull !

I personally got nailed from this scam as well.

It’s called “Skimming”

They put some electronic thingy in or on the gas pump and it records your info…Pin # and all.

I got gas at Pilot on Friday and received a call from B of A Fraud dept as they locked my account…on Saturday

They had retrieved $420.00 out and went back later to get $280.00 more which is when the bank locked my account.

This happened to at least 100 people..

Beware…they say it’s better to go pay inside any business as the machines are under serveilance more closely there.

At the gas pump no one really watches closely for them to do this..

I believe when I got hit it was a small unit right on the gas pump…

They subsequently withdrew money from a BANK ATM in los angeles and had my PIN info and everything !

Watch OUT ! this is NO JOKE !

I live for the day when I catch up to them scumbuckets !

Gary

Fire Ball
01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Someone has definitely put card skimmers on the pumps. You really shouldn't blame Pilot. I haven't heard of anyone getting their card skimmed at a gas station before until now. It usually happens on ATM's. I might go to Pilot just to check for card skimmers, lol. Lookout for anything suspicious on the thing where you slide your card in.

yolo
01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Like I said. The dude changing rolls of paper looked and acted suspicious on the 10th. It even came off that way to me while there but didn't think anything of it unti8l this post. Maybe he was adding some extra stuff along with the paper rolls? Timeline is right on.

old pudd fisher
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
So sorry to hear that and it sucks. My son in law got ripped off to a while back at an AMT in Riverside.

adicfor
01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Like I said. The dude changing rolls of paper looked and acted suspicious on the 10th. It even came off that way to me while there but didn't think anything of it unti8l this post. Maybe he was adding some extra stuff along with the paper rolls? Timeline is right on.

The most suspicious part is that someone was putting printer paper in the pumps. They never have printer paper.

yolo
01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Well that dude was putting rolls in that day. Bad cover then if they never have paper in them, lol.

agbasser
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
this was on the news in la a couple of days ago,channel 7 i think.they used skimmers and got a bunch of people.as far as this being the first time skimmers were put on a gas pump,not even close,happens fairly regularly and will keep happening,keep your eyes open.

fishfinder
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
i am not sure, but if there is a skimmer on, the the transaction wouldn't work for the consuner, i think. so if that is true. check for a skimmer if the transaction doesnt work. can any-one tell me if this is true?

flyngby
01-23-2011, 12:59 PM
A co-worker of mine got hit for $11,000 before it was noticed and he exclusively fills up at that Pilot! You would think that his bank should have noticed something wrong!

fishinone
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
i am not sure, but if there is a skimmer on, the the transaction wouldn't work for the consuner, i think. so if that is true. check for a skimmer if the transaction doesnt work. can any-one tell me if this is true?

With a skimmer on the pump the transaction would still work. The skimmer is just another reader the reads your card before the real reader. The ones I've heard about go on outside the slot and are designed to look like a regular cover. If it looks like you could pull a cover off of the face of the reader, don't use it, call the cops. The trick would be also getting a PIN#.

If they are putting something inside the pump then you have a whole other story. They could record everything.

However they're doing it the people who are exposed are probably making almost nothing. I hope they get the people who are making the money.

HBAR
02-04-2011, 08:01 PM
after hearing that so much of this is happening now, I've made it a habit of actually trying to pull off the slot where the card readers at. haven't found one yet but who knows maybe one day I will, if I do I'll call the cops right away.

Vlkter
02-05-2011, 12:40 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5453857/atm-card-skimmers-are-getting-frighteningly-sophisticated