PDA

View Full Version : Hookjaw

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Ok Admin guys, don't hate me for posting this here, but I consider Corona my "home" lake so thought I would.

Caught a 2.5-3 pounder at Laguna Niguel Lake yesterday that looked like a trout I have never seen before (for those of you that don't know I am 28 and started fishing only a year ago when I went to Alaska). Somebody told me it looked like a "hookjaw."

WTF is a hookjaw? Don't have a pic, sorry.

Thisfool
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
a hookjaw is if im correct a male who is ready to spawn the male undergoes a transformation the lower jaw grows out and the teeth grow larger and the jaw begins to hook and they stop eating and use there new weapons solely to protect the nest.

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
a hookjaw is if im correct a male who is ready to spawn the male undergoes a transformation the lower jaw grows out and the teeth grow larger and the jaw begins to hook and they stop eating and use there new weapons solely to protect the nest.

Hmmm, is it spawning season? Cuz I KNOW it was different then "regular" rainbow trout. The jaw did "hook" and the teeth were DEFINITELY longer on the one I caught. Caught him on a nighcrawler in about 3-4 feet of water. If only I could go back and get his head out of the cleaning station at LNL

BrandonFish
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
did he sperm you :LOL::LOL: its a trout..

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
did he sperm you :LOL::LOL: its a trout..

Umm, no he didn't?? And I understand it's a trout, I want to understand what kind of trout, it's purpose, etc. There is a reason it has a variation in it's face/jaw. I wanted to see if anybody knew why.

kirkboat
01-20-2011, 11:53 AM
the older males develope the lower hook jaw...i quess the girls like it..

seal
01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Hookjaw AKA kype, they start to get excited prior to spawn and will develope kype's. I've seen some mistake this for being a brown trout because of the heavy coloration changes.

Rastavyb
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
They used to stock Hook jaws from Utah back in the day. Caught a nice six pounder there years ago. Great place to tube if it was not so expensive

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Hookjaw AKA kype, they start to get excited prior to spawn and will develope kype's. I've seen some mistake this for being a brown trout because of the heavy coloration changes.

Cool thanks. Yea, when I google "Hookjaw" there are a lot of references to brown trout. But it was definitely a raindow due to the dolors. I feel bad now...damn older trout didn't get a chance to get his groove on before I ate him...

Josh
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Cool thanks. Yea, when I google "Hookjaw" there are a lot of references to brown trout. But it was definitely a raindow due to the dolors. I feel bad now...damn older trout didn't get a chance to get his groove on before I ate him...

the female lays eggs and the male swims over them basically takin' a leak....he didn't miss much and doesn't sound like much fun anyway.

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
the female lays eggs and the male swims over them basically takin' a leak....he didn't miss much and doesn't sound like much fun anyway.

Guess that's why I hot an "F" in marine biology.

Josh
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Guess that's why I hot an "F" in marine biology.

LOL. :Twisted: :Big Grin:

exfactor
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Don't worry, the growing stations produce mostly sterile trout, because they grow faster when they do this. The growth rate is almost double compared to regular trout, therefore, they can mass produce at a much quicker rate.

a321eric
01-21-2011, 02:11 AM
ive caught some nice hookjaws at silverwood...they are a trip....

so....do hook jaws have to be natural trout or can the hook jaw grow later in their life as they adapt to their surroundings??

Thisfool
01-21-2011, 04:10 AM
ive caught some nice hookjaws at silverwood...they are a trip....

so....do hook jaws have to be natural trout or can the hook jaw grow later in their life as they adapt to their surroundings??

hmmm not 100% sure about what you mean by natural trout. but i think it is just in a male trouts biology to grow a hook jaw.

seal
01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
I've caught many freshly planted trout from the DFG out at Silverwood that had hookjaws. So it's all about being a male like Thisfool says, holdover, native, freshstocker doesn't matter.

kwin
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
A "hookjaw" is caused by elevated testosterone in male salmonids (trout, char, salmon) during spawning. It is used to fight with other males for the opportunity to spawn with females who have made redds (nests) and are ready to drop their eggs into them. The genetically altered trout are XXY (triploid) and will not exhibit the "hookjaw" characteristic since the extra "X" (females are XX) chromosome suppresses the influence of the "Y" (males are XY) chromosome thus reducing the testosterone levels...hence no hookjaw. Triploids are also sterile.