PDA

View Full Version : Sevylor Fish Hunter (inflatable boat)

Josh
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
So I was looking around Amazon and saw one of these for a good price, they even sell the accessories for hooking up a trolling motor. Given that A) I have a car and B) I don't have the space to store a regular boat I am thinking about getting one. So here's a couple questions.

1) I am guessing that a lake that allows float tubes would also allow inflatable boats, is that a good guess or am I off?

2) anyone ever used one of these?

3) anyone have one they want to unload cheaper? (doesn't hurt to ask lol)

xjdesertfox
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
So I was looking around Amazon and saw one of these for a good price, they even sell the accessories for hooking up a trolling motor. Given that A) I have a car and B) I don't have the space to store a regular boat I am thinking about getting one. So here's a couple questions.

1) I am guessing that a lake that allows float tubes would also allow inflatable boats, is that a good guess or am I off?

2) anyone ever used one of these?

3) anyone have one they want to unload cheaper? (doesn't hurt to ask lol)

Some lakes only allow chambered inflatables, i dont know if that boat has one or more chambers, but if its a single chamber, it wouldnt be allowed where a chambered tube would be.

If you get that boat and put a trolling motor on it, you WILL need to register it as a vessel and have CF numbers on the side.

I've seen a couple at castaic lagoon, one time it was a guy, his wife and his kid. they all fit comfortably on the boat and he was able to row around easily and fish.

Josh
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
yeah I know about registering it, It's multi chambered here's the link:

Fish Hunter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032GM1QA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=15993D4T9XH1PM8Z3MJH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846)

Surfer
01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey Josh have you considered the Pelican Bass Raider or the Pond Prowler from BPS. I have the Pelican Bass Raider 10E: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3684184&cp=2367438.2367826.2672651
I found it on Craigslist for $200 and couldn't be more pleased. These 2 man pontoon boats are really lightweight and very stable. You can even stand and cast. All I have pushing it is a Minn Kota 45lb thrust trolling motor and it gets up to a decent speed. I've taken it out at King Harbor in Redondo Beach as well as Irvine Lake and Castaic Lagoon. I transport it by strapping it onto the roof of a van with ratchet straps. Check it out. It might work for you.

Josh
01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Josh have you considered the Pelican Bass Raider or the Pond Prowler from BPS. I have the Pelican Bass Raider 10E: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3684184&cp=2367438.2367826.2672651
I found it on Craigslist for $200 and couldn't be more pleased. These 2 man pontoon boats are really lightweight and very stable. You can even stand and cast. All I have pushing it is a Minn Kota 45lb thrust trolling motor and it gets up to a decent speed. I've taken it out at King Harbor in Redondo Beach as well as Irvine Lake and Castaic Lagoon. I transport it by strapping it onto the roof of a van with ratchet straps. Check it out. It might work for you.

I've looked at those and there are two things that prevent me from pulling the trigger on em. One is the price and two is the storage situation. I don't have room to store something like that (although I do like those boats). An inflatable, at least for now, is more ideal.

Hometown
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Josh I had one awhile back they work ok but the floor is flimsy and you really cant stand in them and you can only use at certain lakes.
I've looked at those and there are two things that prevent me from pulling the trigger on em. One is the price and two is the storage situation. I don't have room to store something like that (although I do like those boats). An inflatable, at least for now, is more ideal.

Josh
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Josh I had one awhile back they work ok but the floor is flimsy and you really cant stand in them and you can only use at certain lakes.

Someone who had one, over on bass pro or somewhere posted that they just put a piece of plywood in the bottom to stabilize it and they could stand in it. If I can use it at places like santa fe dam, the vine, etc. I am will be happy and definitely get it.

Hometown
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Yea Josh thats what I did with mine and the plywood worked ok I dont know about santa fe dam but there ok at the vine and you dont have to register it for the vine as it is a private lake
Someone who had one, over on bass pro or somewhere posted that they just put a piece of plywood in the bottom to stabilize it and they could stand in it. If I can use it at places like santa fe dam, the vine, etc. I am will be happy and definitely get it.

Josh
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Yea Josh thats what I did with mine and the plywood worked ok I dont know about santa fe dam but there ok at the vine and you dont have to register it for the vine as it is a private lake

Cool. Me thinks I'll have to pull the trigger on it when I get my tax refund.

Marine_Michael
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Cool. Me thinks I'll have to pull the trigger on it when I get my tax refund.

Do yourself a favor and get an electric pump as well or one of the nicer foot pumps. My brother has the Fish Hunter 360 the larger 12" model and contrary to what everyone else is saying it holds 2 adults with gear comfortably or 3 with gear a bit cramped.

Surfer
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM

I can stand just fine in my bassraider 10ft. But I guess it's because I'm not an extremely large guy. I'm about 165lbs.

fishincrave
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Are you getting the HF280? or the HF360?. The company also makes the floor boards for both models.
The HF360 very comfortable with 2 ppl and some gear The HF280 a little more cramped .
If you choose not to get the floor board you can make it your self very easy .
Just remember you can't stand up without the boards .

Hope this helps

www.sevylor.com file:///C:/Users/family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Josh
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

Josh
01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Are you getting the HF280? or the HF360?. The company also makes the floor boards for both models.
The HF360 very comfortable with 2 ppl and some gear The HF280 a little more cramped .
If you choose not to get the floor board you can make it your self very easy .
Just remember you can't stand up without the boards .

Hope this helps

www.sevylor.com file:///C:/Users/family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

I'm probably going to go with the 9 foot model. I'd most likely only be using it when I am out on my own. Eventually I would be getting a real boat but that's several years from now when I'll have the space for it LOL.

midgettosser1
01-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I used one (or 2) for a few years in saltwater. Would launch from the beach, thru the surf, to fish kelp beds. Always worked great for me. But I usually had a second person with me, which made it easier to launch.
One recommendation I have... always carry some Shoe Goo and a plastic bag with you. I've had a couple instances where I sprung a leak, usually from dropping a bass in the boat and having the dorsal spines poke a hole. But this goes for accidental hook snags as well.
If you do get a raft, and you do accidently puncture it, rip a small piece of plastic bag off, spread some shoe goo over the hole, and put the piece of plastic on top of the goo. Doing this has kept me on the water for hours after a puncture. Then, when I got home, I could patch it up better.
Also, if you snag structure while fishing.... careful how you pull on your line. You dont want your hook flying back at you or your inflatable.

Never used a trolling motor, nor took it on freshwater.

midgettosser1
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
oh, and if you ever take it to the salt, and launch it thru the surf.... ALWAYS tie EVERYTHING down. Even if the waves aren't big.