01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
about 2 mph
What speed do u guys troll at the lake?

TroutOnly
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Slow,,,,,,,,,especially with mudhole water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

dixoncider
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I got bit as slow as 1.4 knots and as fast as 2.3 knots.

Thisfool
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
lol what ever the motor idles at lol.

TroutOnly
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
If you have a happy troller you can super slow troll woolybuggers and crawlers and kill the big trout,,,im telling that from more experince than most anybody around,the bigger the fish the more lazy they are and when you put a offering in front of them slow were they dont have to much work they love it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thisfool
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
If you have a happy troller you can super slow troll woolybuggers and crawlers and kill the big trout,,,im telling that from more experince than most anybody around,the bigger the fish the more lazy they are and when you put a offering in front of them slow were they dont have to much work they love it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

whats a happy troller. and that makes alot of since about them being lazy.

Dutch rudder
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah. What us a happy troller and how slow u talkin about?

GdHkSet1
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I do not have GPS to tell me exactly how fast I am going, but Im guesstimating for me 2.5^ cause I'm running a 50hp w/o a plate, i may be going faster which the fish do not mind if your using the hardbaits, but for NC's I use my trolling motor just enough to turn my flashers and dodgers. Good luck out there,

pitman
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm with TroutOnly super slow. Depth is very important also...

tinfish
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a Happy troller or troll plate whatever....half thrust forword.

I make about 1.3 at idle with a 60 4 stroke. Maybe down to 1.2 uphill ....and ( im new to trout troll but ) I get bit best @ 1.5 to 1.9....also depends what your draggin.

TroutOnly
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
a happy troller is a thrust deflecter for youre engine ,then you adjust by how much throttle you give the the engine,woolybuggers threaded crawlers lite spoons are deadly ,you can shorten the distance of the lure from the boat and really work an area that has schools,it keeps you from having to do big laps on a spot and lose time away from the active schools,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,

Wkendwarior
01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Finding the fish depth with a depth finder is one thing, but how do you know your lure is getting down that deep? You could easily be too deep or too shallow. I have just never been able to figure out the depth I'm running.

TroutOnly
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Thats why i use downriggers , then you know excatly what depth you lures are at ,its so precise its almost like cheating because the graph gives you the depth of the fish and the downrigger puts right in exact spot,,,,those who dont know use leadcore and you can catch but its not close to as accurate as a downrigger, and if you cant afford a nice one they have portable ones the will clamp on to even rental boats,,,,,,,

Shock
01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Thats why i use downriggers , then you know excatly what depth you lures are at ,its so precise its almost like cheating because the graph gives you the depth of the fish and the downrigger puts right in exact spot,,,,those who dont know use leadcore and you can catch but its not close to as accurate as a downrigger, and if you cant afford a nice one they have portable ones the will clamp on to even rental boats,,,,,,,

What model are your downriggers Bob?

MustHuntAndFish
01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
As T/O said... Downrigger is the best way to go. Leadcore is great once you've caught fish at a certain COLOR depth. Say you got one with 5 colors in the water... now you know that you want to let 5 colors out again because that's getting you to the depth that the fish are at.

But leadcore is to imprecise when trying to find the fish. Each color of leadcore let out will get you between 3 and 5 feet of depth. So at 8 colors you can be any where from 24' to 40' down depending on lure type, size, weight and trolling speed. 24' - 40' is a big window... so you can see why T/O recommends downriggers.

That being said... I've used leadcore all my life and have had great days and slow days like everyone else. I have never used a downrigger. The best thing you can do is get out there... experience is what makes us better fishermen.

Wkendwarior
01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Down riggers huh? Like Shock said what are the down riggers you use T/O?

Fishthewhaler
01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
my favorite downrigger to use is...LOL

TroutOnly
01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Youre too funny ftw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cannon downriggers ,,,,,,,,what is even more cool with dr's is you can stack lines on each one , i have two so when i trolling for trout i have two lines on each downrigger that way you can four different lures or offerings out at once running in four different depths ,that zeros you in on the depth for the day even more, and yes ive had double hookups with clients before you just hope you grab the right rod for the biggest fish,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,

Wkendwarior
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok, may be a dumb question but if you are running two lines on one DR, one line gets hit and you land the fish. How do you get the ling back down with out bringing up the whole DR including the other line? Or do you have to bring it all up each time?

Surfnsnowboard3
01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Ok, may be a dumb question but if you are running two lines on one DR, one line gets hit and you land the fish. How do you get the ling back down with out bringing up the whole DR including the other line? Or do you have to bring it all up each time?

Bring it all up. I saw it done when fishing in Alaska. Works like a charm. Like trout said, it's like cheating. He knows where the fish are from fishfinder and experience. Throws the downrigger down to different depths and BAM, gets hit like crazy.

Seakot
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
I was trolling around 2.0 to 2.2mph. I'm lucky my 90 goes that slow. But I do have a modified prop. But with that wind sat. my speed was all over the place. That dose make sense about the big fish wanting it slow. We caught Steelhead's and one brown in the wind. When it layed down I got a slower troll going and got a 7.3 lb, rainbow.

exfactor
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I like to troll 2.5 to 3. I fish rapalas. On flat lines with 4#. My theory is don't give em a chance to think about eating the lure. Either eat it, or its gone. Downriggers work great, but they are a hassle, and I'm letting my fish go afterwards anyway. And, it's easier to stay out of the way when there are lots of other folks put putin around.

Wkendwarior
01-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow you guys move pretty fast. I thought my 1.8mph was fast and I was trying to keep it around 1mph.

Dutch rudder
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
2.5-3.1 sounds way too fast

TroutOnly
01-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Mike the dr's are only a hassle if you dont know how to run them,,,,a little practice and youre slaying like ol uncle bob,,,lol,,,