PDA

View Full Version : Corona – 1/16/11

JohnnyBoy
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
This report is for Corona Lake for Sunday, 16th 2011. I like mixing up the different places that I fish, so I was looking forward to going to Corona. Particularly, since they stocked tail-walkers on Wednesday.

I arrived at the lake at about 5:45 AM and there was a short line, not to bad. Was parked shortly thereafter and was on the water right as the sun was coming up. It was spectacular watching the sun rise on the backside of the lake. The water was pure glass. I couldn’t ask for better conditions.

So I’m on the water at about 7am. I fished my normal area for the water level that the lake is at now. One item of note is that the lake is fishing differently since the rains have raised the water levels. The first 30 minutes nothing, then all of the sudden it just started to pop. It was good for about the next two hours then at around 11am is just shut off. Can’t explain it, but it seems the fish went on strike.

Funny though, I didn’t see the guys on shore doing all that good, but those of us in float tubes were all landing fish. Even Patrick was landing fish. He is too funny. There was a float tuber fly fishing that must have caught 30. Some guy from shore yelled out at him that it was catch and release only. I understand that, but he was lipping every fish. Why not release them for someone else to enjoy catching them. I think he was pissed because they weren’t catching squat and the float tube crew was ripping fish.

If the fishing lakes management is reading this, for those of us using artificials and lipping these fish, we handle them with care, and don’t rip hooks out, and know how to properly release a fish. Why can’t we release them? Why not have a policy that allows for C&R from boats and tubes using barbless artificials? The shore crew I completely understand. They just kill the fish. Anyhow, give it some thought.

Fish Count – I caught a total of 8 fish yesterday. I caught 7 from about 8am to 11am. After 11 the bite shut down even for the tubers. I moved around quite a bit after that looking for them. I caught one more late while moving around in the creek inlet area.

What Worked – I fished only plastics yesterday and had 6 using white on white. Boy did they love white. I caught 1 with white on orange and 1 on white on green.

Observations – One thing I’ve observed is that the shore fisherman aren’t doing as good as they should. I’m not really sure why, but I did notice many of them using setups and gear that were too heavy for trout. That may be why they aren’t getting bit, the other thing is they are hamstrung by their spot. They can’t so easily move to catch fish. I understand their disappointment when they don’t get bit, and see the tubers ripping fish.

Corona is a great lake to fish, and it has many spots to fish. I will tell you, that I’ve seen the lake start to fish differently that it did in the fall when the water level was lower. Again, this is the advantage from the tube; you can go find the fish. I fail to see why any experienced fisherman doesn’t get bit at Corona every time out. All in all it was ANOTHER great day of fishing at Corona Lake. It didn’t bite all day, but was real good early. The conditions were just absolutely great. Warm but not to hot and just pure glass all day long. I really enjoyed myself.

phishin phool
01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Great post johnny, I cant wait to get back out in my tube, probably be two more weeks. And corona is a great place, but like you said Its hard to catch trout when you are using a 9 foot surf rod and 20lb test. Although I have seen it done. I too relaese all fish that are lip hooked and arent too worked, so hopefully someone else will be able to catch them. Were you fishing jigs or powerworm/egg combos?

Surfnsnowboard3
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
This report is for Corona Lake for Sunday, 16th 2011. I like mixing up the different places that I fish, so I was looking forward to going to Corona. Particularly, since they stocked tail-walkers on Wednesday.

I arrived at the lake at about 5:45 AM and there was a short line, not to bad. Was parked shortly thereafter and was on the water right as the sun was coming up. It was spectacular watching the sun rise on the backside of the lake. The water was pure glass. I couldn’t ask for better conditions.

So I’m on the water at about 7am. I fished my normal area for the water level that the lake is at now. One item of note is that the lake is fishing differently since the rains have raised the water levels. The first 30 minutes nothing, then all of the sudden it just started to pop. It was good for about the next two hours then at around 11am is just shut off. Can’t explain it, but it seems the fish went on strike.

Funny though, I didn’t see the guys on shore doing all that good, but those of us in float tubes were all landing fish. Even Patrick was landing fish. He is too funny. There was a float tuber fly fishing that must have caught 30. Some guy from shore yelled out at him that it was catch and release only. I understand that, but he was lipping every fish. Why not release them for someone else to enjoy catching them. I think he was pissed because they weren’t catching squat and the float tube crew was ripping fish.

If the fishing lakes management is reading this, for those of us using artificials and lipping these fish, we handle them with care, and don’t rip hooks out, and know how to properly release a fish. Why can’t we release them? Why not have a policy that allows for C&R from boats and tubes using barbless artificials? The shore crew I completely understand. They just kill the fish. Anyhow, give it some thought.

Fish Count – I caught a total of 8 fish yesterday. I caught 7 from about 8am to 11am. After 11 the bite shut down even for the tubers. I moved around quite a bit after that looking for them. I caught one more late while moving around in the creek inlet area.

What Worked – I fished only plastics yesterday and had 6 using white on white. Boy did they love white. I caught 1 with white on orange and 1 on white on green.

Observations – One thing I’ve observed is that the shore fisherman aren’t doing as good as they should. I’m not really sure why, but I did notice many of them using setups and gear that were too heavy for trout. That may be why they aren’t getting bit, the other thing is they are hamstrung by their spot. They can’t so easily move to catch fish. I understand their disappointment when they don’t get bit, and see the tubers ripping fish.

Corona is a great lake to fish, and it has many spots to fish. I will tell you, that I’ve seen the lake start to fish differently that it did in the fall when the water level was lower. Again, this is the advantage from the tube; you can go find the fish. I fail to see why any experienced fisherman doesn’t get bit at Corona every time out. All in all it was ANOTHER great day of fishing at Corona Lake. It didn’t bite all day, but was real good early. The conditions were just absolutely great. Warm but not to hot and just pure glass all day long. I really enjoyed myself.

Forgive me, but isn't the limit 5?

JohnnyBoy
01-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes the limit is 5, that's why when I still want to fish I go to the tackle shop and pay for another pass before I leave. You can still fish as long as you pay for another limit of fish.

JohnnyBoy
01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I was using the egg worm combo, yes. When it got tough I was using a tube jig for a while no luck there.

Surfnsnowboard3
01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Yes the limit is 5, that's why when I still want to fish I go to the tackle shop and pay for another pass before I leave. You can still fish as long as you pay for another limit of fish.

O, I was wondering....lol

JohnnyBoy
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
That's one hell of a flatie you got there in the picture surfnsnow. Where did you get him at ?

Surfnsnowboard3
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
That's one hell of a flatie you got there in the picture surfnsnow. Where did you get him at ?

Sitka, Alaska

BrandonFish
01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
gotta love alaska i my self caught a few big butts there.... cant wait to get back...

the whole catch and release thing with the trout.... lol if you know the fsh isnt hirt wont hirt to put it back for another happy angler to kill..