PDA

View Full Version : Lnl – 1/13/11

JohnnyBoy
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
LNL – 1/13/11

This report is for Thursday, January 13, 2011. I took a vacation day, in the hopes of getting LNL, without all the crowds that lake has been getting as of late. I was glad I had that Thursday off, but I was a little disappointed to see that while less crowded, it was still a good sized crowd for a weekday. Does anyone work in Laguna Niguel ?

It was a beautiful day though, clear skies and warm temps in the later part of the day. The three pipes area was once again hopscotch boats and tubes, but not quite as bad as on Saturday or Sunday. The other point about that was that by noon-ish, a good number of those boats were back at the boat dock unused. So the crowd actually thinned as the day went along.

Fish Count – I caught a total of 11 fish. I had 2 in the creek inlet area early, then 1 on the way to the three pipes area. I caught 2 more in the three pipes are, went through the little inlet on the back side past the two aerators and made a bathroom stop by the concession building. I caught 1, out in front of the boat dock, 2 in the flats, and then 2 more in front of the launch ramp. Keep in mind this was from about 8:45 in the morning till roughly 3:30 in the afternoon.

What Worked – The water quality/clarity has improved significantly. So the color selection changed. I used plastics the whole day. I caught 7 using white on green, 3 using white on pink shad, 1 using white on yellow.

Observations - My take on the conditions are that with improved water quality the fish are going back to the normal color patterns. Being in the tube has its advantages. You can move in and out of the boats easily, and don’t have to deal with the shore crew. Meaning, you can go find the fish. Right now it seems that you do have to find the fish. While I wouldn’t call it slow, I wouldn’t call it wide open either, somewhere in-between. While it’s good for the lake to have a good population of fisherman, it’s not so good for me. Have to change up, shorter casts, and more movement. If nobody is home keep moving till you find the fish, when they shutoff, move again. Change up my color patterns pretty frequently right now. These fish are finicky is all I can say. The flavor of the day though seemed to be green. They liked green on Thursday.

Danny Klein
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi JohnnyBoy, I'm new to this cyber community and don't have the local lingo down yet.

When you mentioned you caught your fish on plastics using white on green,white on pink shad,and white on yellow I was wondering if you could tell me what type of plastics. If it's not a secret,if so, I understand.

Also, just curious as to what type of tube and fins you use. My daughter and her grandfather have Caddis tubes and force fins but are thinking of upgrading.

Cheers,

Danny

JohnnyBoy
01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi Dan,

Plastics - I use Berkley power worms. And Eagleclaw trout eggs. Most people prefer either the gulp or power eggs. Since you can't seem to buy power eggs anywhere your stuck with gulp. But Gulp products dry out to quick for my taste, thus I use the Eagle Claw trout eggs and do just fine with them. I use a #8 Owner mesquito hook, and thread the egg first followed by the worm. Thus white on white, white on purple etc.

When it comes to float tubes, other companies have some nice stuff, but Outcast makes the best float tubes and warranties thier products. You can pick one up at Bob Marriots Fly shop. Or other outletts. The fins I personally prefer are the hotspot fins. They float and were designed specifically with float tubing in mind. You can pick them up at Turners. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me through this web portal.

fishingminds
01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I was there on Saturday from 6 to 4....tougher bite for sure but I was fishing from the tube as well....White mini-jigs with yellow and white worm tails worked great....need lots of scent though!

However, I did meet some guys who were killing it on crankbaits...those Normans that they sell at the bait shop....tougher to fish from the tube (especially on crowded days) but they were having a blast getting them with bass gear....Next time I go I am going to give it a shot.

One last thing.....I took a big mesh bag and made it into a fish holder.....amazing how well it keeps the trout...they were still healthy at the end of the day....just add some clips to the bag and attach it on the side (I have an Outcast too....the best tube out there for sure!)

Thanks for the report

Danny Klein
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Johnny. Floating fins just went to the top of the "must buy" list.

Seems like everyone is fishing light and bright colors. Has anyone considered fishing brown or black colors in the off colored water? The results may surprise you.

By the way, do any of you ever fish the deeper side of the lake?

Danny