PDA

View Full Version : SKUNK!!! Pew!!

fishinone
01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I fished Castaic on Saturday. The guy who I was taking fishing bailed on me at 9:00am when I was 20 miles from home ready to pick him up.

After that the day sorta slowed down.

I picked up some awesome fresh sardines at Gallion"s. They had been alive that morning and I could tell by looking at them. No stink just smelled like sardines.

I worked the buoy line basin metering fish, anchoring up and getting no takers. The fish that I would see on the fish finder didn't even veer off to take a look at the baits.

After about 4 anchor sets I got on a spot holding lots of fish on the bottom with fish cruising through up higher most of the time.

So after all of that, I had one pickup about 40 ft deep, it moved the rod tip about 1 1/2" dropped the bait and didn't come back. Another time I saw a fish on the fishfinder about 20 ft up off of bottom, picked up a pole and slowly cranked my bait toward it. The fish dropped down to meet it then followed it up about 5 ft. As far as I could tell it never touched the bait. I was using superline and an IM-6 pole. I'm pretty sure that if it had picked it up I would have known.

My friends Mike and Tony were both there in their boats. They both manage to catch a few fish but had the same results as me.

:Skunk::Skunk::Skunk::Skunk::Skunk::Skunk::Skunk:

M@M
01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I bet it was a beautiful day out on the Lake. That fish finder sounds awesome. Wonder if I could use one at the Duct?:Smile:

fishinone
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM
It was beautiful. We had shirt sleeve weather for a couple hours.

My fishfinder is an old Garmin 240. I think any of them work well if you use them in manual mode and turn off the fish symbols.

I want to try one of those Hummingbird smartcasts in the duct. Try, not buy. lol

koifish
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
The weather has been nice for a couple of days in this winter. Fish are sleeping....haha..You will get them next time.

yolo
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Bummer on the skunk Ron. What a total flake the other guy was unless he had a life or death emergency to bail only minutes before planned.

I thought you were going to come up to the duct Sunday afternoon? It was an "epic" day. Morning catch, mid day catch and if you would have come I would have gone out for an afternoon catch.

trail blazer
01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Cant win m all bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Makes the victorys even more sweeter.

TB

fishinone
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Bummer on the skunk Ron. What a total flake the other guy was unless he had a life or death emergency to bail only minutes before planned.

I thought you were going to come up to the duct Sunday afternoon? It was an "epic" day. Morning catch, mid day catch and if you would have come I would have gone out for an afternoon catch.

He had a pretty good reason but he could have let me know 12 hours sooner.

I had forgotten that my buddy was getting married. 48 year old bachelor. I figured I might never see that again.

Cant win m all bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Makes the victorys even more sweeter.

TB

I can try! LOL

I knew to take some other baits for insurance but just didn't do it. With them acting like they were, I don't believe it would have been a huge difference but sometimes they'll take nightcrawlers or bloodworms when they go off the dines.

TroutOnly
01-18-2011, 07:53 AM
did you go to the fish arm ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,

fishinone
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
did you go to the fish arm ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,

Hi T/O,

No I didn't go over there. I've heard that they've started biting over there.

I was about out of fuel so I didn't want to run around too much.

I'm planning to go to the Mid to fish your spots this Sat..

E.A.R.G.
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
bummer Ron,
Can't really stand the flaky category of people too well either.

well you'll get em next time!

fishinone
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Eric,

Where have you been?

Did you ever get a decent striper?

I saw your Shark and WSB, I think you can handle a nice striper.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
too bad bout the skunk....you'll get on 'em next time....

The bite should get better mid next month into the latter part....hopefully the bigger units too

The important thing is U got out there...every trip is a learning experience...

Good times nonetheless...

Gary

E.A.R.G.
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi Eric,

Where have you been?

Did you ever get a decent striper?

I saw your Shark and WSB, I think you can handle a nice striper.

Here n there, fishing, schooling, working.
haha the only stripers I've caught were with you on your boat. Does a 3lber count as a decent striper?

fishinone
01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Here n there, fishing, schooling, working.
haha the only stripers I've caught were with you on your boat. Does a 3lber count as a decent striper?

You can count it as decent dinner. lol