PDA

View Full Version : 1st Bonehead of 2011

DockRat
01-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Hit K!ng Harbor KH for a hour and the Edison bubble was still on and a couple long rodders were tossing the splash bubble with 10' rods and 15' leaders :Shocked:
These dues where hooking up. 4 guys ripping the bobber 3/4 full of water 150' out.

I tried the Kroc, 110 Flash minnow for no bites. Went with the splash bubble with about a 12' leader @ 6# and landed one, real drag burner about 2 lbs.

Then nothing for 20 minutes and 2 of the guys packed it up. Shut down at 10 am.
Dude said he C&R ed over a dozen. They kept 2 each.

Without the right setup and fly ' Good Luck ' these fish are not that easy to catch.

Think about all the post's for 2010
How many were land based Bon!to ? Had it for lunch and it was XLNT.
Rich red meat (cut out the blood line) Wifey loved it too, quick fry w/no batter. mmm
No squid in the empty stomach. They are hungry.

Will any other FNNers catch one. :Wink:

Type in code ! K1ng or K!ng or KH for lurkers useing google search :Secret:

Good Luck (you will need it)
Hey Brandon, quit fishing in the mud and try Sport Fishing :LOL:
Secret Spot 'Samba' :Secret::ROFL:
DR

stepchild
01-17-2011, 07:18 AM
wtg on the bonita.those fish know how to put up a fight!!!.im gonna have to get out there and match u

IN2DEEP
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the report

Got to get some

Ifishtoolittle
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Nice work DR! I've always heard from family and locals that the way to get the boneheads is by casting as far as you can, and for most the 30yd cast is definitely not far enough.

Jackpot Jimmy
01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice report DR! I saw the bubble was on yesterday morning as we were leaving, and it sound like the bones reacted accordingly.

BrandonFish
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
3 lb sandbass in the bays right now! i didnt get a pic wth? i woulda joined you and tried to catch those guys with my jig stick. congrats on the bone tobad u didnt save it for my catfish bait??? :mad:

Ifishtoolittle
01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
3 lb sandbass in the bays right now! i didnt get a pic wth? i woulda joined you and tried to catch those guys with my jig stick. congrats on the bone tobad u didnt save it for my catfish bait??? :mad:

Damn 3lbrs?! Looks like Redondo is definitely making a comeback!

JapanRon
01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi DockRat,

Good job on the fishy !!

That will definately be the maiden voyage location for the Duckling in not too long a time !! Got the harbor map. Gonna get them on the flyswatter ...... stand up (platform and casting post) style on the toon !!! Gonna watch those long-range slingers' jaws drop !! :) All I need now is to finish cleaning the garage for a ducky nest and know something about the parking policy now that Redondo has closed it's doors at Kings Harbor.

Brandon ..... if I catch a couple, you'll have your bait in exchange for small Mackerel for Ms YellowCat. ha ha ha

JapanRon

Danny Klein
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Dockrat, You just put a big smile on my face. 2lb Bonito >= 10plus lb anything else. Nice!

Danny

flytyingreloader
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Dock Rat, I don't recall much text about bonito PERIOD last year. They are a ton of fun to catch, and can be decent dinner chow if prepped right, as you indicated. Most of mine go back, though.

I've been off the salt since October. Gotta fix that, and SOON.

DockRat
01-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen.
I can't believe no FNN ers are getting in on this action.
Sat was a Ghost Town with epic conditions.
SWAT, Leave your Waders in the car.:LOL:

Hey Kevin, You don't need to go to Catalina. They are 20 minutes from your Lomita house, although more skills are needed from shore without bait.

That will definately be the maiden voyage location for the Duckling in not too long a time !! Got the harbor map. JapanRon

The hand launch dock is closed for the winter.
Sat am gate was open at KH and when I left.
Sun cost $4 for a couple hours.

KH doesn't have a ramp, only a hoist.

You can always walk into Samba and ask for a business card and a validation :Wink:
Or the Bar ' On The Rocks '

Anyone go and get Skunked ? It's OK :Embarrassed: Happens to me all the time.
Tell us your story.

So monday I telling this fishing buddy at the Port about my Bonito. I show him a pic.
He tells me Nice, then he shows me a 130 lb Tuna pic he just got on a 10 day.
Boy did I feel like a little man :Embarrassed:
DR

DockRat
01-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Ron, You are not required to fish in a boat.
Go land based or try the short pier.

HOIST RATES
(round trip)

Hand Launch $8.00
Under 12’ $18.00
12’ to 17’11’’ $23.00
18’ to 21’11” $30.00
22’ to 24’11” $35.00
25’ & Over $40.00

Minimum Hoist Fee

$18

Late Return

$5.00

One-Way Hoist

$5.00 off

Parking

$6.00 per day (no unattached trailers)

Engine Lifts, Parts Lift, Hang In Slings, Blocking Hoist
While Staying Masts, Unusual Craft Hoists

$18 Per 10 Minutes - $1 Per Minute Thereafter

After Hours Emergency Hoists
(Additional Rates May Apply)

$75

Dock Side Ties - Up To 4 Hours
(After 4 Hours Overnight Rate Applies)

PWC's $5
Under 29' $10
All Others $20

Overnight Dock Side Ties

Under 29' $25
30' to 40' $30
Over 40' $35

Summer Hours of Operation - May 25th through September 3rd

Monday - Friday 7AM to 6PM

Saturday, Sunday and Holidays 6AM to 7PM

Winter Hours of Operation - September 4th through May 25th

Monday - Friday 7AM to 5PM

Saturday, Sunday and Holidays 6AM to 6PM

http://www.rbmarina.com/services.html

Newfishsmell
01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Hey congrats DR ... good news indeed.
I might give it a try since I have a couple days off midweek .

smokehound
01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
3-pounders, huh? Maybe this year will be epic! Here's to hoping this summer is a nice hot one, with water temps OVER 67 degrees!

JapanRon
01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi DockRat,

You Da Man .... it never occured to me to check the hoist operation, 8 + 6= $14 is worth it !! The small dock beside the pier being closed for 'Winter' kinda scares me. It may never open again if the powers that be want to force people to use the hoist. Already ...... they abrogated the California State Beach and Harbor letter of the law by arbitrairily not allowing float tubes in the place !! They could be sued but nobody wants to spend the time and money to fight them !! Oh, for some ...... the State laws override the local municipality laws on access and resources of the public (which it has to be) .... just in case !!

Should have asked you in the first place rather than depending on someone with possible vested interests. :)

JapanRon

murrieta angler
01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Hey DR,
Good job with the bonita. Have you tried using the new Waxwing's. With the weight of them I'm sure they could be cast a pretty good distance.
I bought one for my Colonet trip this coming weekend.
The specs are as follows:
Shimano Waxwing in Sardine
7/8 ounces (25g)
3.5"
type: sinking
range: 1/2ft-1ft

Let us know if you give em a try?
Robert
<><

DockRat
01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi DockRat,

You Da Man .... it never occured to me to check the hoist operation, 8 + 6= $14 is worth it !! The small dock beside the pier being closed for 'Winter' kinda scares me. It may never open again if the powers that be want to force people to use the hoist. Already ...... they abrogated the California State Beach and Harbor letter of the law by arbitrairily not allowing float tubes in the place !! They could be sued but nobody wants to spend the time and money to fight them !! Oh, for some ...... the State laws override the local municipality laws on access and resources of the public (which it has to be) .... just in case !!

Should have asked you in the first place rather than depending on someone with possible vested interests. :)

JapanRon

They close the hand launch every year. They remove the dock and jack up the ramp walkway high.

At low to med tide there is a sandy area with a 20' beach at the hand launch.
Someone could carry there stuff over the rocks and launch there.
Saw some guy with dive gear launch a kayak off the rocks at JCS.
DR

DockRat
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Hit KH JCS at sunset today for 45 min.
Got hit with the LC and it headed for the rocks.
I thought Oh No, my LC. Did not want to lose my second LC this year.
Jumped down closer to the water and it came out. Turned out to be a 13" Calico (released)
Dodged a bullet and finally caught my first fish on a LC, Oh Boy.

Had the whole jetty to myself, epic January conditions.
Saw a couple dudes working the Edison bubble that is still running.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
01-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Very nice DR.

BrandonFish
01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
:Envious:so that was your calico! very nice!!! notice the cross formation in the water on the picture?

XMrxSEAUx
01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
they are still here in the KH* caught 8 and released all but 2 mine were decent hard fighting and i was dumb to bring 6 lbs test but anywho good day and bite died at 9:30