PDA

View Full Version : Best Places to Catch crab with crab snares in So Cal

Fishzilla
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok so i just got me a few crab snares looked up the C DFG regulations on crab and using crab snares are ok as long as they have 6 or less snares well im ready to go try id like to know any good piers beaches any one else has had success with crabs or where they have caught a lot crabs as bycatch if any one has any info that be cool thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvWDH5EBWk4

http://www.terrybullard.com/crab_snares.html

Natural Lefty
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I hate to inform you of this, but I hope you are planning to go north of Point Arguello. My regs say "Crab trap areas: Crab traps, including loop traps, may be used north of Point Arguello to take all species of crabs..." (29.80 section f).

It has always been my understanding that only hoop nets are allowed in SoCal, and I have never seen anyone in SoCal using a snare. I have tried a using my hoop net a few times this year from piers, with very little success, only some small swimming crabs and a few undersized rock crabs. The last time the crabbing was good in SoCal for me was 3 years ago. We caught 15-20 keeper crabs a couple of times. I remember it was 3 years ago because I got pneumonia right after my last really successful trip. (I guess I was already sick but didn't realize it until after we returned from crabbing.)

Natural Lefty
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Newport Pier is where we had our best crabbing success, in any case, with Balboa Pier coming in second place.

lopposse
01-16-2011, 11:06 PM
I've had some success on belmont pier.

Fishzilla
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey Thanks Natural lefty read the regs some more you are correct well luckly I got me 1 hoop net already and the snare traps i will use in san quintin baja california family have house there so i can go often and i seen some huge huge crabs there the local children spear them off the dock look like dungenes to me but i also ate huge rock crabs there so so good here is a pick of the old mill dock there
but ya the research I have done on web point to Newport Pier,Balboa Pier and ventura pier will have to give it a try and if i catch any in Mexico i will post pics because they where huge http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab189/hbighappy/San%20quintin/DSCI1100.jpg

Fishzilla
01-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I've had some success on belmont pier.

cool I will keep that in mind as well I plan on going in the next two weeks

lovefofish
01-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I always snag some big spyder crabs at newport

Seņor.Chilax
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I always snag some big spyder crabs at newport

Snagging? Really?

DockRat
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Snagging? Really?
I think he means by accident when fishing.

Hey Fishzilla, you should get your lobster card so if you get a bug you can keep it.
Saw some guys going out daytime hooping yesterday for Bugs.
You can get them in the daytime too.
DR

Natural Lefty
01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
The picture from San Quintin looks nice. That makes me want to go there, but I don't speak much spanish. Those should be some sort of rock crab there. Dungeness are only found farther north, no farther south than central california.

Fishzilla
02-02-2011, 12:20 AM
The picture from San Quintin looks nice. That makes me want to go there, but I don't speak much spanish. Those should be some sort of rock crab there. Dungeness are only found farther north, no farther south than central california.

Ya San Quintin is nice and at the old mill is mainly tourist place. Almost every one speaks English lots retirees there hotels restaurants and charter boats well I got my Fishing Lic renewed but have not bought the lobster card yet plan get it soon. Also bought a second hoop net so I hope put them to good use but trout season has kept me side tracked 8-)~ have to get my trout fix out my system first see this was two weeks ago Mojave Narrows me my bro and my nephew hit the narrows

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab189/hbighappy/Mojave%20Narrows/DSCI1468.jpg

thank you all for the advice will keep it all in mind

murrieta angler
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
T.J.?!? ....j/k